Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

English to Metric adapters

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question English to Metric adapters

Anybody know who sells adapters to convert to metric? I bought a Proform fixture kit for checking cams and it comes with 1/2" and 7/16" adapters. I need to convert over to metric so I can bolt it to the head bolt threads and to the valve cover threads.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Anybody? I guess if all else fails, I'll get my neighbor to weld a 1/2" nut to a head bolt and a 7/16" nut to a valve cover bolt to make adapters. I've search the net, but can't seem to find anything but AN to metric adapters. I am off to Lowes to check there.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a regular machinist set of dial indicaters,fixtures and stands that I use, but if I understand this right, the Proform adapter is basically just a long rod with threads on the end that the dial indicater clamps to?

Several thiings come to mind. (1). A socket head screw (allen headed bolt) of the correct metric size, and just tap the hole that the allen wrench goes into for 7/16" or 1/2". (2). Buy a rod or long bolt of the right size diameter and use a die tocut the metric thread on one end. Then hread this into the head and the adapter into it. (3). Get a magnet, that has a threaded hole in it, and ...wait...himmmmm...no... that won't work on aluminum heads will it?

Then there is the overkill solution. Buy a lathe, learn to use it and make new adapters. While you are at it get a mill also. Then you can do all kinds of neat things.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

That some good ideas, the lathe one is just a little to expensive for what I need. Here's a pic of the Proform fixture. Just need an adapter to convert the threads to metric so I can bolt it to the block. I have a magnetic base, but it's a pain to get it to hold steady at the places I need it. I might try the allen head tap idea too.

I also found these pics from jrp's cam guide link that uses a spacer and a head bolt instead of the blue piece from the kit. I have a couple of options to work with now I believe. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! just get a piece of flat stock. Drill two holes in it. Put the adapter through one hole with a nut to hold it. Put a bolt, washer(s), etc through the other to bolt it to the engine.

Q.E.D
Old 06-27-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Good idea...that'll be cheaper and easier than buying a lathe too! Thanks Jim.

Originally Posted by Diamond Jim
Hey! just get a piece of flat stock. Drill two holes in it. Put the adapter through one hole with a nut to hold it. Put a bolt, washer(s), etc through the other to bolt it to the engine.

Q.E.D

Quick Reply: English to Metric adapters