Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Where do I get a good Torque Wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the high end tool manufacturers warranty on Torque wrenches compare? I mean if I spend 150+ on a wrench I want that thing to be warrantied for life. Also what size would you recommend for car usage. 10-100# 15-150# what size 3/8 or 1/2"?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own both Craftsman and Snap-on -- neither are guaranteed for life. Carftsman are 90 days, I tried to turn one in. Not sure what the Snap-ons are, but I am confident there is a limit to the guarantee. The way I use the Snap-ons they will last more than my lifetime, unless I get tired or careless and drop them or run over them. School has an SK also. Once you have used a Snap-on, especially the digital ones, you will never go back.
For lug nuts 1/2-inch 15-150 lb. ft. will work well. That will also work on some engine parts – main bearing caps, and many/most rod bolts, and the like.
For exhaust and intake manifolds, water pumps and the like 3/8-inch 10-100 ft lbs.
For valve covers and trans pans 1/4-inch 40-200 in. lbs
If all those sizes are not in your current budget, consider what you will use the most and get them as you need them.
Terry

Quick Reply: Where do I get a good Torque Wrench?