Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What Impact Wrench do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off i did suspension steering and alignments and so on, on semis and big big trucks. and this is what i found. i started out with a thunder gun, (a hopped up 231) it did good but it is god awful annoying. i then bought a IM6500HP from my snap on dealer. BIG MISTAKE. it was a 450.00 paper weight. so then i got my 2135TI from IR and it was perfect. now i work on everyday vehicles in a full service garage and everything i have is IR i have two 2135ti's one of the 3/8 Ti's, i forget the model number the 2141 3/4" composite impact and two 1" Ti impacts for semi wheels. the tools have never failed me yet and the backing for IR is amazing. i will only suggest and buy IR from now on. i even have their line of air ratchets and grinders. Check ebay for IR guns too, you can find them pretty cheap on there NIB as for impact sockets, they are a must in my book. with my 2135Ti i have busted many chrome sockets tightening and loosening. I have all snap on impact sockets but if you cant swing that kind of money cuz they are pricey, i have back up sets from harbor freight tools, and they have not failed me yet either. good luck with the purchase, i say go IR no matter what model you get, if it is IR you wont be disappointed.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

thundergun...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use impact sockets even if their Craftsman they take the abuse alot better and wont shatter like a chrome socket plus impact sockets are less expensive not to mention good luck with taking them back to the store/truck when they've been busted by an impact
Old 08-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Teching In

actually on the trucks the impact sets are more expensive especially when you get into swivel sockets. my local sears will swap out any broken tools of mine no matter what it is. i busted a chrom 1/2" extension with an impact and they warrantied it. I do have to say that craftsman's impact swivels are among the best, except for the new matco one that came out. i broke many of snap on's 40.00$ swivels but have yet to break my 12.99 craftsman one. but matco has one now where the swivel and wrist pin are replaceable, so it is the only swivel you will need to buy, seeing as though my snap on man stopped warranting my swivels cuz they broke so quick
Old 08-19-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

SNAP ON IM-6100 is what was the most powerful and easy to control gun that I was able to find. I worked on heavy trucks and that was the best gun IMO. It also depends on what air pressure you run. At my shop we ran 160 psi I know that they only recomend like 90 but oh well when you work on **** macks you need all the power you can get.

Last edited by mrhzk35404; 08-19-2005 at 11:01 PM. Reason: adding something
Old 08-22-2005, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
Impact Sockets vs. Standard Ratchet Sockets

Is it worth the money?
Can the Ratchet Sockets work out jsut as well?

anyone got feedback on this?
Impact sockets don't break as easy ans won't wear out the anvil on the impact gun as quickly.They are made of a little softer material as to take more shock than a standard socket.
Anthony
Old 08-23-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IR Ti series. Hands down, no questions asked, end of story. The 231 and other IR all metal guns are great, but trust me, they get tiresome, especially if you're going to be laying on your back using it. And they hurt a lot more when, not if, you drop them on your head

Snap On's air tools are overpriced and under featured.

Most Matco and Mac air tools are made by Ingersoll anyway, they just double the price.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Junkie

For 1/2" I use the MAC AW5000 (very light), and for 3/8" I use the MAC AW3800 (very strong almost like a 1/2" ) for my impacts. Bought them cheap (USED) ~$120 for both and they've held up really nice so far for over 2yrs.

Here are some specs...

http://www.mactools.com/content/ecat...log.pdf#page=4

Quick Reply: What Impact Wrench do you recommend?