Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Favorite brand of tools to use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the "why" of it all may be a good read and something to think about when you have time, it doesn't make a lot of difference to Joe Average when he needs a new set of sockets or a new appliance. When the checkbook or wallet comes out, how much is in it determines more than where the tool was made for an awful lot of folks.

I buy American when I can. Buy local, buy your state, buy American. It's wise to buy the best tool just for simple tool-logic. But if I see a Chinese or Mexican tool that is 1/2 to 2/3 the price, and I don't need it to make my living, I'm going to take the discount and buy another tool that I need. I'm more beholding to my family than I am your family.

Unions are good for the workers, but add $1500 to each car. If I'm not a union member or family of a union member, why do I need to feel beholding to one?

Lawyers do great things for people in need. But why should I have to pay more for a lawnmower because some fool did something stupid with one, got injured and sued the mower maker, and his lawyers got him a million bucks?

My micro-economy is very important to me. And to a point, others aren't. I don't want to do anything good for a bunch of G-D Chinese any more than you do, but life is full of choices. I can't save the world, but I can save some money for my family.

But, I repeat, buy local, buy your state, buy American when you can.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by IRONBULL
hustle these days. :shrugs:

Speaking of tools, I was on "Klein Tools" site today: http://www.kleintools.com/ and was wondering....Does anybody on here use/no somebody who uses um.

I saw Klein tools commercial on the speed channel during the Lemans/Canada race today (Where the new GT2 C6-R's swept 1, 2 today btw. ), and was just wondering who likes/dislikes/uses Klein tools.
Dunno much about Klein tools, other than their electrical tools (wire cutters, strippers etc) are pretty damn good, nice clean cuts, no ragged insulation when stripping wires (even goes thru shielded aircraft spec wire like a hot knife thru butter) if you do alot of electrical work, get some cutter/strippers from Klein
Old 09-05-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Mac- Scanner and some wrenches
Craftsman, and Stanley.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Location: Butler county, right above slimey ass Cincinnati, OH

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Dunno much about Klein tools, other than their electrical tools (wire cutters, strippers etc) are pretty damn good, nice clean cuts, no ragged insulation when stripping wires (even goes thru shielded aircraft spec wire like a hot knife thru butter) if you do alot of electrical work, get some cutter/strippers from Klein
Thanx. The home depot over by the house has their entire line, so I'm gonna go check um out. I'm preferably a craftsman pro-line guy but, I'm not sure if all they stuff is made in the U.S.A. anymore.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Klein Tools are very good quality. I have all Klein hand tools and have some that my dad used as an electrician back in the 70's and 80's and they are still good. I go with Craftsman for everything else due to price and the fact that they replace anything I break. I say get the tools with the best guarantee that your $ will allow.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hand ratchets - snap-on
sockets(impact+chrome) - matco
extensions - mac (best knurling)
channel lock type pliers - knipex cobra(sold by mac/matco/snap-on)
slip joint pliers - matco (widest teeth)
side cutters - mac/matco, cut better than snap-on
impacts (3/8 and 1/2)- IR titanium or regular composite IR's
3/8 air ratchet - mac ar777 or ar778
1/4 air ratchet - snap-on far25
cordless impact - ryobi 18v (use my 1/4 hex drive impact every day since cristmas and it still works like new) only $70
cordless drill - 18v ryobi hammerdrill (works just fine) only $50
Old 09-13-2005, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

i am craftsman all the way i love that i can just go a couple of blocks up the strret and trade my old one in for a new if it starts acting up...err i mean they never break...lol
Old 09-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

All of our tools at my shop are snap-on.

Quick Reply: Favorite brand of tools to use?