Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

welder/welding questions (i just got a little welder)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default welder/welding questions (i just got a little welder)

well guys i had always wanted to weld and my uncle is letting me borrow his welder and it is a little 70 amp 110 volt welder. flux core, adjustable feed, and high/low output.

I have precticed welding alittle exhaust tubing in the past days just playing games and i have a couple of questions about what is happening.

First off sometimes i weld and all that it does is ballup, when there are two pieces of pipe together it would make a nice clean bead, however if i am just making a bead somehwere else on the pipe i am doing pretty decent.

also sometimes it will burn a hole right through the pipe but not weldit.

These are a couple of the things that i am having problems with and looking for a little help with them

Thanks
Louie

Last edited by half-n-half; 09-15-2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

if it burns through its too hot. what kind of flux is it? i dont remeber off the top of my head, but i dont think all flux cores weld mild steel (at least for best strength, looks etc..). practice make perfect though. play around with the adjustments a lot and make sure to clean the surface with a wire brush or grinder. have fun

oh ya, and when it ***** up, stop welding, cut off the tip of the flux and continue.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

ok cool thanks, also is there a set standard as far as what 70 amp 110 volt will be able to weld. once i get the hang of it i will get a little more powerful welder bu i figure this is good to learn on and i am just looking for what metal is the best to use to get the hang of things.

Thanks
Louie
Old 09-15-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

you'd have to search online b/c i'm personally not familiar using one. but i'm sure there are plenty of other people on the board who know. good luck
Old 09-16-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

just get some scrap mild steel to lay some beads down onto.......when you're joining the two pieces, i'm guessing you left a gap, which lets the metal fill in, as opposed to when you're welding ontop of a solid piece it may "ball up" because the filler metal has no place to go(especially if you have the welder set to weld thin exhaust pipe and you are trying to weld something else thicker) if you are burning through you need to turn down the heat/move faster, if you are balling up you need to turn up the heat and/or slow down the wire feed......

hobart, miller, and lincoln all have pretty good websites with faqs and message boards too

-josh
Old 09-16-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

off hand i can't think of what the limit is for that welder, but it can't be much more than 1/4-3/8" if that

Quick Reply: welder/welding questions (i just got a little welder)