Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Snap-On, Mac, etc. < Craftsman.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Snap-On, Mac, etc. < Craftsman.

All these big tool companies are such a waste of money, why do people feel the need to waste so much money on them? Craftsman makes very high quality tools and they are far superior to any junk that these other companies are producing, and they have a warranty. What gives?

Lets break it down:

brand x wrench: $693.99

Craftsman: $10.00

both have a warranty.

reasons for buying expensive brand? None.

Discuss.

this post was aimed to stir **** up, this section is boring.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Lol great..
Old 10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use tools everyday in high cost precision operations and you'll see why the extra money spent is worth it...
Old 10-27-2005, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Not if you are near a Sears.

They don't even check when you bring a busted tool back. They just scan the new part out of inventory and you walk out the door with your replacement.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you make your livelyhood with your tools and get paid per job, you don't have time to stop, clean up, take busted tool back to sears (even if one is nearby, what if they don't have it), and come back and continue working. The point is to purchase the best quality tool possible so it won't break in the first place.

Craftsman is great at the house, but at the shop Snap-on and MAC are some of the best tools out there.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

i work as a mechanic and use mac snap on and craftsman tools. mac wrenches are worth the money they simply grab the nut or bolt better and don't round off corners like the craftsmans do ( I own craftsman proffesional wrenchs too and mac is still way better).

as for your price comparision your not comparing apples to apples you have $693.99 for brand x that is a very nice set of both metric and standard wrenches from either snap on or mac. a set from craftsman of similar size will run nearly $200.

many of the higher end tools simply work better and last longer. I've only broke 1 snap on tool in the last 2 years. In the same time I've broken around 2 dozen craftsman tools. I replaced them with snap on or mac tools and took the free replacement and put it in my home box.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:36 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by LSONE
Craftsman makes very high quality tools and they are far superior to any junk that these other companies are producing, and they have a warranty.
It's obvious to me, that you have no idea what you're talking about.

I use Stahlwille, and Snap on tools.

I'm a BMW tech, and work on them, as well as my car for a living/hobby. Grab a flank drive Snap on wrench, and try and take hard to get off nuts, at strange angles. Try it with a craftsman, and you'll tell the difference. Whether or not you want to keep it to yourself, and keep buying Crapsman tools, is your choice.

Crapsman is fine for around the house, random jobs. They get the job done, and yes they do have a warranty.

It's important for me, to have THE best tools, that i can rely on, to get the job done.

No one said you had to step up to the plate and be a big dog.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

its BS, I had a snapon TQ wrench (24" to be exact) snapon wanted 200$ to fix this 400$ tool............... ONe of the arms on the tq wrench had broken and they wanted 200$ to tig weld it back together. U tell me that Snapon **** doesnt break.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in charge of all our tools at work. I'm in the AF, I have the biggest credit card of all of you, and I buy Craftsman whenever I can. MUCH easier to replace (no paperwork), and I don't have to wait on the damn Snap On truck to show up whenever he decides he's in the area.

Snap-On
Old 10-28-2005, 09:07 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Same day, every week. Snap on guy is here on time too. Today he even stopped by the second day this week, and dropped off my new tool box.

Use a torque wrench the correct way, and you'll never have a problem.

Use them only to torque, and remember to set them back to its "zero" position whenever you're done.

No questions asked, I used a tap, and broke it. Then i got pissed, threw one half out, and grinded down the other half to fit into a drill.

Gave him my hacked up tap, and he replaced it. Can't beat that...

To each his own. Use whatever works best for you. Calling Snap on, Mac, Matco, etc. junk, is just ignorant though.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Use a torque wrench the correct way, and you'll never have a problem.
To each his own. Use whatever works best for you. Calling Snap on, Mac, Matco, etc. junk, is just ignorant though.
Best quote ever. I have never actually broken any tool that I was using properly.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by LSONE
All these big tool companies are such a waste of money, why do people feel the need to waste so much money on them? Craftsman makes very high quality tools and they are far superior to any junk that these other companies are producing, and they have a warranty. What gives?

Lets break it down:

brand x wrench: $693.99

Craftsman: $10.00

both have a warranty.

reasons for buying expensive brand? None.

Discuss.

DREAM ON! These tool companies would not do such a big business if this was the case. This has been discussed a 1000 times, and I agree.....what a bore. Buy what you want, and I'm sure everyone else will do the same. You get what you pay for, even if it is TOO much.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

I don't have any issues spending the extra money for quality. I've seen many bolts stripped by a Craftsman socket and then seen the stripped bolt removed by a Snap On Socket. (same size socket btw). I've also seen many cases where there wasn't enough clearance to fit a Craftsman socket or wrench on a bolt but the Snap On equivalent did fit.

Use the tool the way it is meant and it shouldn't break.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Once you've used a quality tool, you won't go back to crap. It's like having cable internet then trying to switch back to dial-up, not gonna happen.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Torque wrenches are also not to be used to break loose bolts!!! I'm a diesel tech for caterpillar and we put tools thru some ****! The only snap-on tools i break are my small torx bits (t15, t20, t25) and they really dont break the splines just twist and the bolts are way over torqued. Snap-on guy is at our place same day and time every week. When it comes to replacing tools, no questions asked. Also ask craftsman if u can trade in an old tool to upgrade to a new one, good freakin luck!
I had a 3/8 drive ft. lb. torque wrench for a year, paid $215 brand new. I just traded it in for their electronic tech torque wrench (which by the way is awsome), and he gave me $200 for my old one. Cant beat that with a stick!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:08 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

[QUOTE=LS199CAMAROZ28] The only snap-on tools i break are my small torx bits (t15, t20, t25) and they really dont break the splines just twist and the bolts are way over torqued. Snap-on guy is at our place same day and time every week. When it comes to replacing tools, no questions asked. QUOTE]

Yeah same here, occasionally I twist them, or I twist them and the bit comes out of the socket.

Like said before, nobody said you had to step it up and be a big dog. Whatever you like, you're gonna stay with. But if you're calling the big name brand tools junk, you usually don't have the experience to make such a comment.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agreed with you a few years ago. Then I broke (3) 3/8" wrenches and ripped the skin off my hands. Hurts just thinking of it again! All where new Crapsman. I have every socket in crapsman line and 4 sets off the tool sets (over 300pieces each) B/C they are great for around the house work.

At work I have SNAP-ON and some Crapsman but the Snap-On is all I use! 2 year never had a broken Snap-on yet.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS199CAMAROZ28
Torque wrenches are also not to be used to break loose bolts!!! I'm a diesel tech for caterpillar and we put tools thru some ****! The only snap-on tools i break are my small torx bits (t15, t20, t25) and they really dont break the splines just twist and the bolts are way over torqued. Snap-on guy is at our place same day and time every week. When it comes to replacing tools, no questions asked. Also ask craftsman if u can trade in an old tool to upgrade to a new one, good freakin luck!
I had a 3/8 drive ft. lb. torque wrench for a year, paid $215 brand new. I just traded it in for their electronic tech torque wrench (which by the way is awsome), and he gave me $200 for my old one. Cant beat that with a stick!!!
Do you all use CAT brand wrenches, ratchets, and pullers? We make a bunch of CAT stuff and I wondered if it was used a lot by CAT employees.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Actually yea and i have always heard that most of it is by snap-on. If that is true some of the stuff we get is really cheap in price too, snap-on guy will sometimes match but then again sometimes hes even amazed on the prices. I personally dont own any but i have used the stuff that the shop has (3/4" impacts, 3/4" torque wrenches, a few other things) and all of it is good stuff. The only reason i dont buy is bc im not sure how i can get it replaced.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m1key99WS6
When you make your livelyhood with your tools and get paid per job, you don't have time to stop, clean up, take busted tool back to sears (even if one is nearby, what if they don't have it), and come back and continue working. The point is to purchase the best quality tool possible so it won't break in the first place.

Craftsman is great at the house, but at the shop Snap-on and MAC are some of the best tools out there.

could not have said it any better my self....plus snap-on has many tools craftsman doesnt..... and craftsman doesnt come to ur shop with anything u want.... and u cant pay craftsman 100 bucks a week for the rest of ur life