Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Good tire inflator with gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good tire inflator with gauge?

For Christmas my Dad set me up with his air compressor and also helped wire my garage for 220V. Now that I've got that new toy I was wanting to buy a tire inflator that has a gauge on it. Was hoping to find one that was easy to read but also pretty accurate at the same time.

I've heard that the dial gagues you can buy from like summit racing and jegs are pretty accurate, especially if you are wanting to get your pressure correct for slicks and I was wondering if anybody had an accurate tire pressure gauge that they have used to compare to a tire inflator with a gauge that ended up being pretty accurate that they could recommend?

Thanks!

Ted
Old 12-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I buy dial type tire gauges from a company that is local to me -- they are in Blue Island, IL. Their logo has the letter M. I'll have to look for the name. I bought the last one from Auto Zone. I'm sure they are sold in other chain auto stores. They make the Blue Point branded gauges for Snap-on. I never paid more than $20 for one. I have one for each car. Bought the first one in 1969, and still have it. They calibrate and repair them for free when I show up at their plant – which will not be an advantage to most of you. Top quality stuff. Real old world craftsmanship. The trick is not to lose them.
They come in 60 and 100 pound gauges. I bought the 60 lb one first, but now that the compact spares are so common, with their higher pressure requirements, the last couple I bought were 100 lb range. I find the ones with a length of hose easier to use than those with just a straight chuck on them.

Looks like this, and I think this is the logo of the company I buy from:

http://www.shop.com/op/~Tire_Gauge-prod-17123725

Last edited by 9C1/B4C; 12-29-2005 at 10:22 PM.