Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Need advice on Engine Puller, etc

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice on Engine Puller, etc

I'd like some advice prior to buying an engine puller, engine stand, and a cart (for rolling an engine around, and installing from the bottom).
I plan on replacing my old RV SBC with a BBC. Someday, I'll want to pull my LS1 as well. I'd like to buy these items once, and not wish to upgrade later. So these parts have to be beefy enough for an LS1, SBC or BBC.

Engine puller ?
Engine Stand ?
Cart ?

Anything else critical I may need?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For christmas, my parents bought me the Goodyear Racing engine lift which they bought from Sams Club. It came in three boxes. Just got it so i haven't used it but it seems sturdy as heck and even comes with the engine leveler. They have a goodyear racing engine stand but is sold separate.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I only mess with smallblocks, but I've heard people complain about the tricycle or 3-wheel type of engine stands like I use. I don't have a problem with sbc shortblocks at all, but since you're going to big-block you better get the 4-wheel version with extra support.
This one is supposed to be good for 2000 lbs for example.
http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/20lbenstan.html

edit: oh here's some cheaper ones with 4-wheels.
http://www.thetoolsbar.com/cat_engine.cfm

Even a complete BBC is well under 1000 lbs, so they should work.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Teching In

the goodyear racing hoist:

the wheels are junk, its very hard to move, and the hydraulic pump blew out after not alot of usage. stay away from it. we had one where i used to work and it was pretty crappy.

as for the 3 wheeled engine stands, stay away from them. ive seen a 454 tip one over and crush the alternator (was a boat engine, and the alternator was expensive to replace)
Old 01-04-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Russell1337
the goodyear racing hoist:

the wheels are junk, its very hard to move, and the hydraulic pump blew out after not alot of usage. stay away from it. we had one where i used to work and it was pretty crappy.

as for the 3 wheeled engine stands, stay away from them. ive seen a 454 tip one over and crush the alternator (was a boat engine, and the alternator was expensive to replace)
Good advice to know but a little late . It's all good, they got it fairly cheap. I don't pull out motors but probably once or MAYBE twice a year so i figure it'll do.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

See Harbor Freight or Sams Club for a puller - about $160 ...engine stands can be had cheap $40 at most parts stores...

I saw a puller with a engine stand attached which looked handy...can';t remember where, however...
Old 01-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Teching In

yesterday i bought the goodyear racing hoist, hope it does not break :-(. I also picked up an engine stand from oreill's auto for $50 it holds 1000lbs