Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

WARNING: Sears floor jacks blow

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. you get what you pay for
2. I wouldnt trust my life to a Harbor Freight anything!
3. $1200 for any jack is nucking futs!

I have a Sears three ton lo/pro that I bought in 05. No worries.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by justanilluzion
ive been rocking this for about a year

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4172
x123456
Old 02-25-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I have a blue jack i bought from smas club a few years ago, quick lift, still kickin hard and i bet i use it more than 99% of the folks here.
Ive gone through 3 of them and my current is leaking down still. For the price, replacing them every 2 years isnt bad though. They just leak down at the worst opportunity
Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chief Z
1. you get what you pay for
2. I wouldnt trust my life to a Harbor Freight anything!
3. $1200 for any jack is nucking futs!

I have a Sears three ton lo/pro that I bought in 05. No worries.
im with you, i wouldnt buy anything from harbor freight!! ive had my Craftsman 3ton jack for 4 years no problems at all. Craftsman is the only way to go for me
Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 AM
11 Second Club

Costco low profile jack works awesome. Had mine for 2 years now.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
I bought one of the aluminum types for about $200 in Dec. 2004. Made in China, great. It came low on jack oil and I had to buy some to get it to work. Dec. 2005 it quits. Sears only warrantys it 90 days. Sears won't service floor jacks even though all their floor jack advertisements say "We service what we sell." you can go online and check. Sears currently doesn't offer repair parts for it and advise not to wait for them. So in other words you got a nice piece of scrap aluminum there buddy. Cost of ownership = $16.66 a month and major fustraition.

So I said "screw it". I needed another jack that day so this time I bought the Sears $70 SUV steel jack since I knew I couldn't get it repaired or buy parts and it was Sunday and NAPA was closed. Napa's jacks cost $250 or so. This was Dec. 3rd. Made in China, great. It came low on jack oil and I used some more from the bottle I bought last year to get it to work. Today, about the third or forth time I've tried to "home use" it the damn thing won't lift to the top. It's rated for 21" and gets 14". I can't put my car on stands. Guess what, it's 9 days out of warranty. Cost of ownership = $23.00 a month and fustration to the point of going out and paying what ever it costs to get a real jack that never came from a Chinese steel ship.

Sears has lost a customer, until they rectify this situation. I'm taking both of them back, IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING thank you very much, and demanding satisfaction. Something tells me I'll be waisting my time.

Vernon
Cool story brah, try buying a decent jack maybe.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Banned

For what it's worth I've got an aluminum lo profile jack from Harbor Freight (150-200$ if I remember right) and it works great. I got it for free.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
im with you, i wouldnt buy anything from harbor freight!! ive had my Craftsman 3ton jack for 4 years no problems at all. Craftsman is the only way to go for me
my hf aluminum works great ive used it almost every weekend for the past two years no problems, hell i used it last night working on my 7000# work truck, its not rated for it but i did not feel like busting out the semi jack and my craftsmen well it can even pick up my 800# vw let alone a truck, but it worked perfect
and far as hf goes as long as you there obviously low quality tools (air tools,electric tools and etc..) you will be fine, i have a assortment of tools from snap on to hf and most of my hf tools have shown to be far better then i would of thought

Originally Posted by iWon
Cool story brah, try buying a decent jack maybe.
did he not say that he bought a craftsmen?, for the price and there reputation you would think it should be a quality jack!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is hint, never leave the weight on the jack, put jack stands and release the pressure off the seals, other ways they'll give up and start leaking, now if the jack doesn't go all the way up just replace some of the lost hydraulic fluid and you are good to go...
Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Sears lost my respect a long, long time ago when they went from building tools that no one could break easily, to cheap tools that could be replaced cheaply. Since then I've pretty much only replaced what i had. Haven't bought anything new in a long, long time. All garbage now.

Quick Reply: WARNING: Sears floor jacks blow