Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Air Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Tools?

After seeing Mike's little setup last weekend, I'm really wanting to get some air tools. My question is for a guy who only has 3 cars to work on sporatically, what would be the best thing to get? I plan on doing a lot of the work on my cars, but I don't know a damn thing about air tools. What kind of PSI do I need to run, why is a larger tank better?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quatney
After seeing Mike's little setup last weekend, I'm really wanting to get some air tools. My question is for a guy who only has 3 cars to work on sporatically, what would be the best thing to get? I plan on doing a lot of the work on my cars, but I don't know a damn thing about air tools. What kind of PSI do I need to run, why is a larger tank better?
A larger tank is so the compressor doesnt run all the time...I use the **** out of my 1/4" air ratchet with a 1/4-3/8 adapter It gets in all the little areas..
Old 04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

As far as air tools, they all have a specific PSI that they are designed to work on depending on it's size. For the type of use you are talking about, I would reccomend buying some from Harbor Freight as they are really cheap and will cost you about a 1/3 of the price of buying them from a name brand retailer. As for why a larger tank is better, it gives you more volume and can therefore hold the necessary PSI for a longer time before having to recharge.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:52 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

90-120 psi and atleast a 30 gallon tank for light duty air tool usage. The CP stuff is dirt cheap, you can get it at Pep Boys, Sears or Harbor Freight. Not the best quality by any means but it does work. All my air tools are Snap On but thats because I liked spending too much money on stuff, Ingersoll-Rand makes the best.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

So the bigger the tank the less the motor is running? Those things are always so damn loud, is there any way to keep it quieter? I was thinking of putting it outside my garage on the side of the house in a little "shed". From there I could run the connectors and power to it, and insulate (sp?) the inside so that it would quite it down. Would that give the motor problems?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

read my sig! lol

but depending on how much you want to spend, get a decent sized tank, a ratchet and impact
Old 04-05-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could mount it remotely without a problem, but you would be surprised how quiet some of the newer ones are. Also, I say to go with the cheap brands because of the little use the tools will see and the fact that you could actually break and re-purchase the tools several times for the same amount of money you would spend on just one of the expensive brand.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I work at a diesel truck shop and our compressors are mounted outside in a small lean-to shed. They're not really that loud, but they pack quite a punch. Needless to say, I do very little work on my car at home.

Quick Reply: Air Tools?