Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Jeg's Double Flare Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jeg's Double Flare Tool?

How good does the Jeg's Double Flare Tool work. Anyone ever use one?
link>click here
Old 06-03-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

I have used similar ones and they suck, sometime it does an alright job, but most of the time it does not even flare just push the tube through the holding bar. If you want a good flaring tool without spending $200 for a hydraulic flaring tool, checkout Ridgid's flaring tool.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cbrich
I have used similar ones and they suck, sometime it does an alright job, but most of the time it does not even flare just push the tube through the holding bar. If you want a good flaring tool without spending $200 for a hydraulic flaring tool, checkout Ridgid's flaring tool.

if your pushing the tube throught the holding bar your not tightening the wing nuts enough.take the bar and slip it in between the wing nuts and really crank on it.i have used the matco version of this tool w/out trouble for years.they work really well.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1psycho
if your pushing the tube throught the holding bar your not tightening the wing nuts enough.take the bar and slip it in between the wing nuts and really crank on it.i have used the matco version of this tool w/out trouble for years.they work really well.
I know how to use them, before I bought my ridgid flare tool, I snap off the one of the bar bolts, trying to tighten it down. Maybe the Matco is a better than the Autozone version.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Launching!

If you want a good flaring tool without spending $200 for a hydraulic flaring tool, checkout Ridgid's flaring tool.
I have 2 of the Rigid model 458 flaring tools. They work great for single flairs and are well worth the price, however they will not work for a double flare due to the rolling action of the center part. (The rolling center section rolls over the inside of the flare to burnish it to a smooth surface).

Tools that are designed for double flaring have a heavily knurled or slotted clamping bar to prevent the tube from being pushed through it.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gto69judge
I have 2 of the Rigid model 458 flaring tools. They work great for single flairs and are well worth the price, however they will not work for a double flare due to the rolling action of the center part. (The rolling center section rolls over the inside of the flare to burnish it to a smooth surface).

Tools that are designed for double flaring have a heavily knurled or slotted clamping bar to prevent the tube from being pushed through it.
I know the 458 are for single flare only, I never said they will work for double. I use a 458 in 37* for AN fittings, and 345-DL for double flare and single flare 45*, if you click the 345 series in the link I provided you will see the double flare.

So read and look very carefully before you try to prove someone wrong.

Last edited by cbrich; 06-04-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

I know how to use them, before I bought my ridgid flare tool, I snap off the one of the bar bolts, trying to tighten it down. Maybe the Matco is a better than the Autozone version.

yeah,the autozone version is junk.too many people use the tool incorrectly and usually you end up renting a shitty one.my matco is tight.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1psycho
yeah,the autozone version is junk.too many people use the tool incorrectly and usually you end up renting a shitty one.my matco is tight.
Your right about there tool rental, but the one I bought was brand new off the shelf, and it was still junk. If I ever buy another flaring tool it will be a hydraulic.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

damn,those look nice but i don't see any prices.whats the ballpark on the master kit?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Do a Froogle on it, Froogle is part of Google a very good price shopping tool. They go between $270 to $350 for the master kit.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

thanks.i might just order a set to try them out.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want the best flaring tool out there you need a Sykes Pickavant they mount in a vice and do double flares all the way up to 3/8 as well as metric I have used one for years and never had a leaks in brake systems that see extreme line pressureYou can check them out at Prosystem brakes.com
Old 06-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Launching!

I know the 458 are for single flare only, I never said they will work for double. I use a 458 in 37* for AN fittings, and 345-DL for double flare and single flare 45*, if you click the 345 series in the link I provided you will see the double flare.

So read and look very carefully before you try to prove someone wrong.
Aren't we being a little over-sensitive? I was not trying to prove you wrong by pointing out that one of the tools in the link you gave was NOT suitable for double flaring.

It is important to be accurate and precise when you post a suggestion or recommendation. Otherwise, people could buy something based on YOUR suggestion that won't do the intended job! My reason for posting was to prevent that from happening.

Possibly you could have stated that you use the model 345-DL shown in the supplied link for double flaring.

Last edited by gto69judge; 06-05-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gto69judge
Aren't we being a little over-sensitive? I was not trying to prove you wrong by pointing out that one of the tools in the link you gave was NOT suitable for double flaring.

It is important to be accurate and precise when you post a suggestion or recommendation. Otherwise, people could buy something based on YOUR suggestion that won't do the intended job!

Possibly you could have stated that you use the model 345-DL shown in the supplied link for double flaring.
First of all I never said which tool would do double flare and the link give a possiblility of 3 not just 1. Speedy02 ask "How good does the Jegs Double Flare tool work?", he never said what it was going to be used for, single flare or double. Hell if I wanted to be a ***** I would have said use this site (www.google.com) and search it yourself, that is what I had to do.

Quick Reply: Jeg's Double Flare Tool?