Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Help picking a tool set. Craftsman? Husky?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help picking a tool set. Craftsman? Husky?

Well I use to have a 130 something piece Craftsman set but it got stolen before I even got to use it and I am thinking about buying another set but want to get something cheaper and maybe smaller. I dont work on cars to much besides the basic stuff. I was thinking about getting a Husky Set, what do you all think of that brand? I am about to change my spark plugs and plug wires on my Daily driver Eclipse so I need everything to complete that.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since those are the only choices. Craftsman.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got a Craftsman set as a gift and I use it all the time. I broke one of the rachets, took it up to sears and they replaced it. The rachet wouldn't have broken but I was trying to get a bolt off that was over torqued. I put a huge pipe on the handle of the rachet and it broke.. Opps
Old 07-14-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

What size set do you think would do me for the basics?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craftsman, always. They hardly ever break compared to cheaper ratches. It is USA made and the warranty will save your *** if you believe it or not. How can you not take a pretty much unconditional warranty backed by ultimate quality?? Just my 2 cents though.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Craftsman has a special in their new catalog, you can get your name engraved professionally on the whole set for free, I believe,
Old 07-14-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well it looks like they are having a sell but I dont see anything about free engrave.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still have a set of Craftsman ratchets and sockets that came in a set from QVC in 1990. Been using them since before I had a car! Not one failure.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:31 AM
Teching In

I was out of town once and we started having problems with the girlfriend's car. Well, I didn't have any tools with me, so I ran to Home Depot and bought a small Husky socket set. The damn ratchet broke before I even used it. The snap ring fell out and got lost in the gravel. Took it back the next day for a refund. That's poor QC in my opinion.

If you get a small set from Sears, you might want to come back later and add a cheap gear wrench set too as well as buying one *nice* ratchet from a quality truck company. Ebay one if you can find one cheap enough. Craftsman kits are good, but there basic ratchets suck and you will eventaully bust your knuckles because of it. Their thin pro ratchets are better but still not up to par.

(Sears had their short Gearwrench brand wrecnh sets half price last week.)
Old 07-15-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

buying one nice ratchet is a good idea- most of my stuff does come from tool trucks, but anyone can benefit from one of the ratchets I got from Mac- it has some sort of one-way sprag and has no play in the mechanism, its usually called a zero degree ratchet. Its got a nice thick handle thats easy on your hands, and I haven't been afarid to hang off it to break stuff loose and its held up great so far, had it since April I beleive and it gets used at least once a day.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a ton of Craftsman stuff that worked great, until I was working as tech at a dealership full time,
then I upgraded to Snap-On & Matco,

I would definetely recomend getting a 3/8 drive Matco, or SnapOn Rachet, maybe even on with a pivoting head, I use the crap out of my Matco rachet, I love it. Works great, feels great, and I have put a 4ft breaker bar on it with no problems. I have used it as a hammer too. It cost me about $80 if I remember right.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SERIALPIMP
I have a ton of Craftsman stuff that worked great, until I was working as tech at a dealership full time,
then I upgraded to Snap-On & Matco,

I would definetely recomend getting a 3/8 drive Matco, or SnapOn Rachet, maybe even on with a pivoting head, I use the crap out of my Matco rachet, I love it. Works great, feels great, and I have put a 4ft breaker bar on it with no problems. I have used it as a hammer too. It cost me about $80 if I remember right.
My Matco ratchet is my most used ratchet too. My favorite is the 1/4" green handled fixed head 8" ratchet. I always seem to grab it over my Snap Ons and Craftsman Pros. I work in aviation though, so I don't use 3/8 drive much.

My favorite 3/8 drive is my S-K with the rotary head. I have never seen another ratchet with such little movement.

Quick Reply: Help picking a tool set. Craftsman? Husky?