Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Polishing..

Old 07-17-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polishing..

ok I searched didnt see anything so here it goes.. im a newb when it comes to polishing but i want to polish my borla tips, fuel rails, TB and a few other things under hood.. so id appricate it if u guys tell me what tools i need and such
Old 07-17-2006, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a good die grinder if you have access to compressed air. then you'll need some buff pads. i'm sure there are different sizes and styles to choose from so that you can polish all the little nooks and crannies in the pars. and then you'll need some compound. depending how rough the parts are, you may need different coarsenesses-if that's even a word. also you will probably need different types of compound for different types of metal. i.e aluminum and stainless. dont take what i said to be fact but i do polish various stainless steel and aluminum pieces for semi trucks for about ten hours a day. but someone on here prolly has more experience with the smaller pieces you are referring to. hope it helps. by the way, you WILL get dirty if you do it very much. i spend about 45 minutes in the shower every night scrubbing all the crap off.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Same methods are used to polish turbo compressor housings?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Regular

i dont know about others, but i use a dremel for the rough stuff, then i do the rest by hand.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

well im looking to start off doing my own stuff first then im going to offer the services to you guys on ls1tech, z28 lt1tech and such for a fee since im sure i can make alittle more then i can doing 6$ at my job like i am now lol

i got time being a 17 yo lol

Originally Posted by JeepinBash
get a good die grinder if you have access to compressed air. then you'll need some buff pads. i'm sure there are different sizes and styles to choose from so that you can polish all the little nooks and crannies in the pars. and then you'll need some compound. depending how rough the parts are, you may need different coarsenesses-if that's even a word. also you will probably need different types of compound for different types of metal. i.e aluminum and stainless. dont take what i said to be fact but i do polish various stainless steel and aluminum pieces for semi trucks for about ten hours a day. but someone on here prolly has more experience with the smaller pieces you are referring to. hope it helps. by the way, you WILL get dirty if you do it very much. i spend about 45 minutes in the shower every night scrubbing all the crap off.

got compressed air but its not accessable all the time so im gonna get a electric die grinder probably.. now for compounds.. what kinds?? and i assume get some buff pads for the die grinder little ones so i can buff in the little area's to?

Last edited by Gun5; 07-17-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

tttttt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Polishing..