Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Air Tools Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Tools Question?

Hey i was looking at some air tools (compressor) and the ones i was looking at said that it was oiless and not oiled... I am just looking for the basic air setup and was told not to go oiless by a guy who always has to have the best stuff but this is just for me and I am wondering if I really do need an oil cooled air compressor or is oiless fine??? thanks guys
Old 07-28-2006, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

oilless is fine for everyday use
Old 07-28-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

is an oiled system what you would need if you had like a shop or something, but for home use oiless is fine?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Yeah you are kinda right about that. Oiled lubed compressor systems are made for more of a commerical or everyday use. You can find some good oil"free"units but at home Depot and Sears there is some good deals on Oiled units. I use to work at Sears as a saleperson in hardware and I have seen some oilfree units hold up pretty good under normal use. What do you plan on using the unit for??????? If you want to paint get something with a good size air tank with a good hp motorOR scfm to handle a paint gun. If you need help on finding a good deal let me know I'll help you out.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:38 AM
TECH Regular

I don't like oilless compressors. they make alot of noise. if you just want to run an ocaconal air tool or two, you will be ok.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah its mainly for some of mod installs on the car (mainly an impact gun) and I was going to get an air grinder b/c i wanted to port my throttle body and stuff like that.... yeah if you know of some goods deals let me know because I will be buying probably within the next week
Old 07-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Oiless compressors are so loud that they will keep the dead awake. I have a 6hp one with a 80 gallon tank, that was given to me by a guy that lived in a townhouse. He got rid of it because of the noise. I have it in a doghouse behind the shop that is insulated with sound proofing and its still way too loud. I have a smaller oil type compressor in the machine shop that you can bearly hear.

Oiless compressors will not last as long but they are cheaper to buy and to repair. But for the home shop if you can put up with the noise it would be OK. I have rebuilt the oiless one given me once and it is less than 5 years old, but it gets medium duty use running shop tools.

Last edited by Diamond Jim; 07-29-2006 at 05:51 PM.