Low cost (relative) roll cage tubing bender review

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Low cost (relative) roll cage tubing bender review

www.JD2.com

I bought the Model 3 bender.

We've built a couple cages now and the thing is a great piece of equipment. It's not easy and takes some grunt, but it goes pretty quick and the machine is a nice piece.

I anchored it in a 4" slab with 4 lead insert contrete anchors with lap screws.

Unbolted it, covered the holes in the floor with duct tape and stored it out of the way.

Bending tube is kind of like when you first began authoring DVDs. You make a few coasters at first, but then you get the hang of it.

Tip: Stay in school and take geometry.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty cool. It's a shame the model 3 doesn't bend 2 1/2" pipe. Might would consider getting it to do some custom exhaust work. Going from bending roll cage tubing to exhaust tubing would be a breeze.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me and my buddy are in the process of designing something simliar to the model 4 on the sight there. Were just about about done with, now when we actuall finish building it is a different story. lol

-john
Old 08-03-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's pretty sweet right there. It'd be sweet to have that hydraulic one to make working a little easier .
Old 08-06-2006, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=HavATampa Going from bending roll cage tubing to exhaust tubing would be a breeze. [/QUOTE]
Not the case... thinner tubes will collapse MUCH easier than thicker ones. Better build a manderel bender for exhaust.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mitch, the JD Model 3 isnt really what I would consider a cheap, or beginners tubing bender Its one nice piece of equipment! I have a hydraulic hossfeld, and 2 JD 3s. If you do get a JD 3, go for their floor mount, and grab their handle as well, makes your life much easier. Oh, and then get their air powered hydraulic ram that attaches to it
Old 08-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Launching!

The JD bender is a pretty good bender. I have built lots of rollcages and even full tube chassis rock crawlers with it. The only down fall of the bender is after a TON of use you will see that the holes in the top an bottom arm will start to distort. They really need to be hardened. The pins start to get kinda hard to get out. Other than that it is a good little bender.

Quick Reply: Low cost (relative) roll cage tubing bender review