Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Painting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting question

I got a ram air hood for my 2000 TA so i got the stuff to paint it in my garage. I am fixing some damage to my nose, and pass side fender being that i'm gonna paint hood anyways. I didnt have enough room in my garage where i have plastic up to do all the panels at the same time. I repaired and blended in the fenders with the base color but didnt spray any clear yet. It's a dupont paint I got at the local auto paint store. My main question is it recommends to spray clear 30 minutes after last base (flash) coat. Do I have to scuff/sand up the base coat if I am going to spray the clear a few days later ? or can I just hit it with degreaser etc... ? and If I do have to wet sand it what grit should I sand with before spraying the clear ? 600 or 800 ?
Thanks
Ron H.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Teching In

If you wait more than 24 hoursyou will need to scuff it. A grey scotchbrite pad is what you will need. I owned a shop and we sprayed Dupont.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

What color? If it's a solid (red, white, etc), you should be fine with the scotchbrite scuff. If it's a metallic, hmm... I'd really try to shoot it within a day, without scuffing. Those metal bits can be a tad finicky. Though the window says "30 minutes later", that's the minimum, the max is about a day. If it's cold, you might could even stretch that out a little more.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
What color? If it's a solid (red, white, etc), you should be fine with the scotchbrite scuff. If it's a metallic, hmm... I'd really try to shoot it within a day, without scuffing. Those metal bits can be a tad finicky. Though the window says "30 minutes later", that's the minimum, the max is about a day. If it's cold, you might could even stretch that out a little more.
It's a really dark blue with a slight amount of purple in it. It's been about 4 or 5 days now . I was thinking of just wetsanding the panels with 600 then clearing them but im not sure how the paint would adhere to it. Would the clear stick ok if the base is wetsanded with 600 ? and would the scratches from the 600 show in the clear ?
Thanks
Ron H.

p.s. There is a very slight amount of metallic in it I think but not very noticeable.

Last edited by Mrbowtie26; 12-08-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Launching!

ttt... anyone ?

Quick Reply: Painting question