Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Aircraft Techs inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, we can't fool around like that because the Navy guys are so uptight. If we started doing things like that we would probably lose our contract.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Your missing your best friend tool! No one mentioned it. Maglite. Maglite. Maglite. The take a pounding and still work. They will be your best friend!!!! And no imitations either. everyone I know who bought the imitation mags and cheaper light all ended up with mags a week later.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, definately a maglight. Get ther rechargeable one. It is the brightest
Old 03-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Teching In

I have read everyones suggestions and I will add my two cents. I see a lot of kids get sucked into purchasing these expensive tool boxes and sets from companies like snap-on and matco and then they find out that they don't need them. Ask the company for a list of required tools then take it from there. Also be very wary of these companies starting guys out of A&P school, they get a lot of guys caught in a catch 22. For instance I have known guys that got out of school and got on as mechanics at Northwest Airlink making $8 an hour thinking that they would be in line for a job at Northwest. What they failed to realize was that years ago Northwest hired a lot of mechanics from the Airlink and it took a while for their experience level to get back up to par so they said that they would not do that again. So these kids are pretty much locked into a job where they don't want to be. They tell you that you don't have any experience on heavies but how can you get experience if you can't work on them? Just be very careful about the company you work for. Also don't get caught up too much in the big money jobs. I looked a couple years ago and I think the average aircraft mechanic makes $17 per hour. I have been extremely blessed in my career. I have been doing this for 16 years. I started off active duty Air Force as a crewchief on KC-135's. Then I came back home to Memphis, Tn and after a few years got hired as a technician at the Tn Air national Guard. I am a WG-12 (Senior Mechanic) on the line making about $35 an hour plus I am a Msgt on drill weekend. We are located right next to Fedex and Northwest is the local major airline. I have plenty of freinds working at both and I would not trade with them for anything. Just don't sign anything without really reading it. I often speak to kids at a local A & P school and tell them the same thing. Sorry about the long post
Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 AM
JUICED96Z

Well the plan is to not stay with this compnay. Once I get done with school I am going to start looking around.
Once I get a job that days I am going to get on with FedEx at nights and start bidding for aircraft maintenance with them. I know people that work for them and one thats an A&P with them and they all love it and the company.

If I wanted to work with a company that pays the most I would go back to UPS (they pay their techs more then anyone) but the company SUCKS to work for. Not worth the pay.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

If your willing to travel there are lots of good jobs out there right now.

Also consider Corporate aviation. Its a bit more stable than most airlines and pay is now very close. If you work in corporate aviation on jets for a while and have a good personality you may be able to squirm your way into a part 91 operator as a head of mainteneance or just plain ole mechanic. Thats the job of a lifetime.
Usually you work for some rich guy or company and work very little with very high pay and take care of one aircraft...maybe two.

Raytheon Aircraft in Tampa (just changed to Hawker Beechcraft Corp) just hired a few guys. Even straight out of school youll start around $17..with experiance 17-27. And plenty of room to move up if you had ambition. I have been there 10 years and running 2nd shift for 9 and I still love it.

As for tools. 75% of what youll need will not have to be expensive Snap On stuff. It should though be high quality like many craftsman tools. But there will be certain things that you just cant live without like the a good snap on ratchet or ratcheting scrwdriver. Be sure to buy 12 pt sockets both standard lenght and deepwell. There are many 12 pt fasteners used.
And for the toolbox...get a cheapo for now. Buy a nice one when you have been in the business for 2-3 years and know youll stay. We have 20 year mechanics that have craftsman single el cheapo grey boxes with a side box and do just fine. Those snap on boxes are way too expensive for a newbie. Its just not necessary at this point IMO.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work for AAR Oklahoma. I have traveled all over the world working on AC. Try to get on with GE On-Wing Support, thats what I did and did all of my traveling with them. Aviation is a risky buisness for sure, its either feast or famine depending on the public and economy. Corporate aviation is a great way to go. Gulfstream down in Savana, Georgia is a great place to work and they hire quite offen. See if Plane Tech has any overseas jobs, your per diem is higher, money isnt spent because you live (in many cases) rent free and only need a few bucks to hit the titty bar or buying a piece of ***. Best of luck to ya, if I can help let me know. I know the new VP of Operations there Stan Mayer, he came from OKC. I also let one of my guys transfer there last year, his name is Kevin but I forgot his last name, he's an inspector. Use the SRM and any other supporting documents with all of your work and dont forget to sign for your work. Learn S/M first then go to maintenance, its a great platform to build a solid carreer on.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Gear Wrenches are one tool I will not go without (S&K Splined 12 point at Sears for like 120.00 or so will grab anything). I always have at least 2 sets of wrenches one standard set and a gear wrench set. I use those more then anything else. What I like to tell people is always pay cash for your tools. If you gotta start cheap so be it. But I wouldn't buy thousands of dollars in tools from Snap-On, Mac, Matco, on credit if you can swing it. Until you are stable and know what you really need. Granted Snapon makes prolly the best ratcheting screwdriver you can find, though. Keep it simple and check out what the other AMT's use to make life easier for them as well. Make sure you look on Ebay and the paper, alot of laid off or retiring mechs (auto too) put thier stuff up pretty cheap to get rid of it quick to either pay it off or just get it out of the garage. Best thing is keep it simple like that list in the previous post and you will be fine.

I am complete opposite of alot of you guys since I am an A&P working rotory wing. I am in Iraq right now working for L3 Vertex Aerospace as well, but I am coming home working for a counter drug unit in Kentucky again in May, my year is up here. But I agree a Line Mech is the best place to be, I hate overhalls, heavy checks, phases etc. I use to be a Maintenance Planning Manager and Maintenace Controller for a Part 121 airline too, that was actually fun, but stressful.

Anyway, try to keep your tools simple and just get what the list is required you to get for now. You may go in and they may stick you somewhere where you'll never use a drill lol. As you progress buy the tools you like. I can get Snap-On at cost but I still try to stay away from them if I can. But a good flashlight is your friend. Mag-light is a good start, I use a Blackhawk Galidus, pretty expensive but its been through alot, more so then most would subject a tool too. I use to have a few maglights after going through enough of those i pretty much paid for that other light lol.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Well the plan is to not stay with this compnay. Once I get done with school I am going to start looking around.
Once I get a job that days I am going to get on with FedEx at nights and start bidding for aircraft maintenance with them. I know people that work for them and one thats an A&P with them and they all love it and the company.

If I wanted to work with a company that pays the most I would go back to UPS (they pay their techs more then anyone) but the company SUCKS to work for. Not worth the pay.
You should consider where I work. It's owned by Bell Helicopter and is in East Tennessee. I only work on brand new from the factory helicopters and don't have to deal with the hassle of frozen parts, wear, etc...
We tear them down and inspect them. After they are painted and the sheet metal guys have installed kits, we put them back together, do our ground runs and fly. That's it.
They also pay to send you to Bell school in Texas after you've been with them a year or so. I'm going to 407 school this summer.
The area is beautiful (lakes everywhere, mountains, places to four wheel or hike, etc....), crime is low and we have a very low cost of living. Drop me a line when the time comes if you think you'd like to try to get on here.

Oh, we usually get 50 hour weeks, but I've seen some guys get 60+ if they want it. The lead mech's are making in the low to mid $20's too, lower for us newer inexperienced grunts, so the overtime is great.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Axeman, read his post again. and read between the lines. He is absolutely right be carefull.
What really pissed me off is type courses. They hold them over your head like a carrot to bugs bunny. Dont sign for anything thats not safe either. If anything ever happens your the companies scape goat, and yes they dont know you at that point. Pencil wipping is a bad habbit dont get suckered into it.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:24 PM
JUICED96Z

Well AAR and my company screwed me. Can't start untill the 16th now....... Showed up today and everything.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axeman
I I have been extremely blessed in my career. I have been doing this for 16 years. I started off active duty Air Force as a crewchief on KC-135's. Then I came back home to Memphis, Tn and after a few years got hired as a technician at the Tn Air national Guard. I am a WG-12 (Senior Mechanic) on the line making about $35 an hour plus I am a Msgt on drill weekend. We are located right next to Fedex and Northwest is the local major airline.
Haha, I know a few CC's and elec. guys that just transferred down there from our unit. (131st)
Old 04-08-2007, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an electrician on F-16s, are you gonna do major electrical maintenance?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:51 PM
JUICED96Z

So far just sheetmetal. If I stay civilian I would like to go composites or Avionics.

Should know here soon if I can go full time Air Guard. If I can I will do that.

Not "in" right now.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Teching In

speeder
Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Memphis ANG is the place to be....... consider the Air national guard part time in any airlift unit and work your way into a full time spot. lot of perks.........
Old 04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jester1
And no imitations either. everyone I know who bought the imitation mags and cheaper light all ended up with mags a week later.
I dropped a maglight once and the bulb took a ****.
My streamlight stinger I have dropped dozens of times and no problems.
Also, stinger fits in your pocket.
Check one out on a tool truck and you will see they are bright too.
streamlight stinger
cheaper on ebay

Quick Reply: Aircraft Techs inside