Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

No more scraped undrbody b/c of jack! Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No more scraped undrbody b/c of jack! Pics inside

Well today I had some free time so I got to thinking about how to protect my underbody from the jack, like if the piece is smaller so that it sits inside of the saddle. What I used was some vevlet sticky board that I bought at Menards, then I went to a arts and craft store for the extra padding. I mesaured the inside diameter of the saddle which was 4 3/4 inch then I cut the bigger piece of vevlet sticky board and palced it on the inside of the saddle, after that was sticked down real good I did that same thing to an additional 3 pieces of smaller vevlet sticky board. These are the pics which are below.

Before:

After:

This whole process took me about 1 hour b/c I needed to run all over heck to get the pieces that I needed.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So it's thin velvet? How would help prevent scratching the underside of the car?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Under the 3 top pieces is a piece that is about 1/4 of an inch think, It works i jsut wanted something so that my underbody would not rest on the metal part of the saddle of the jack.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't it the 4 metal fingers and the outer lip that contact the body?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah..I would think that the fingers would hit first. If they are sinking into the metal so that the metal is touching the bottom of the cradle, thats bad. But he mentioned that it was for smaller things that fit into the cradle... However I imagine that wouldnt happen as often as jacking up on a flat surface.

A piece of wood would be a better choice. Your car will sink into the wood alittle to prevent slippage. Either that or a block of that polymer stuff...that I cant remember the name of...someone might know it.

Now if you took that material and made a double layered "sock" to fit over that to help prevent the cradle from scraping....that might work. Definetly be more effective. And it would protect both the fingers and the bottom of the cradle.

Just my .02...

Justin

P.S. Not downing your idea by any means..just adding alittle input to it.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey I tried, but hey do they make like a thick rubber pad, like on the ACDELCO jacks? I thought i seen that they have a rubber pad on them, do u know where I might find that or something like it, is that poylmere stuff like rubber?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey thanks for adding your input I can change it but i just thought i would try with what i had at my house.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah man I like you idea. The bottom of my car is already dented and scraped up though. haha. So I dont usually mind. My new jack came with a rubber cover which seems to work half decent.

The polymer thing Im talking about is like a plastic. Some jacks come with one installed.

Here are some I found from a quick search on google.

http://www.protechproducts.net/jackpads.htm

I kinda like your idea too though. If the felt is thick/heavy enough, the fingers of the cradle wouldnt cut through it. And it would always protect against the metal. Plus, if you can sew or know someone who can, you could easily make a sock to fit over the jack cradle.

J.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I showed my mom and I think I will be able to get that soft handle cover and the jack pad cover too! hey thanks man that site helps me out a lot!

Quick Reply: No more scraped undrbody b/c of jack! Pics inside