Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

2 post lifts for storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 post lifts for storage

Got a question for you guys with 2 post lifts. Do you use them to store cars? I am leaning towards a 2 post floorplate style, but I have always heard you should store a car with the weight on the suspension not hanging so I am a little hesitant. A 4 post will take up quite a bit of space in my little garage.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2007, 01:42 AM
12 Second Club

Default Go 4 post

If primary need is storage, go 4-post. Much simpler getting on and off.
Doesn't really take much more room. Also, it can be moved in minutes. I've had my Eagle 4 post for a few years, and it has been great.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:46 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

I stored my friend mustang on my two post this year. Every once in a while i would let the car sit on its wheels but it was fine when we took it out of storage this year. I would park my wifes car under the stang at night. Had just enough clearance. All types of hoists have their plus and minuses but if you plan on doing some work with the hoist my last choice would be the 4 post. Thats why i have a center post and two post. The 4 post is a pain for taking wheels off. THe four posts are still nice though, dont get me wrong. If i were to get one it would be an alignment rack and they are alot more money obviously.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Teching In

I was all set on a 4 post, but it would take up half my my garage, (19 1/2' deep by 20' wide) so I'll have that much less room.
My brother has a 2 post, and its true they are not as convenient as a 4 post, but it's a better fit for me size-wise so that's why I am leaning that way.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:28 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Depends on what convenient for you is. If it is storage then the 4 post is better. If you work on your car then the 2 post is much better. I would rather have the 2 post, not because i already have one but because i have extensive use with both. In fact hundreds of hours with both. Both are good, convenience of work for the 2 post and convenience of storage for the 4. All around, 2 post without a doubt. Some people will prolly disagree but if you are in the trade of building and fixing cars then i am sure most would agree with me. This does not mean it is the choice you should make. If you choose or dont work on your own car then get the 4 post cause storage wise i believe it is better.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSZ
Depends on what convenient for you is. If it is storage then the 4 post is better. If you work on your car then the 2 post is much better. I would rather have the 2 post, not because i already have one but because i have extensive use with both. In fact hundreds of hours with both. Both are good, convenience of work for the 2 post and convenience of storage for the 4. All around, 2 post without a doubt. Some people will prolly disagree but if you are in the trade of building and fixing cars then i am sure most would agree with me. This does not mean it is the choice you should make. If you choose or dont work on your own car then get the 4 post cause storage wise i believe it is better.

perfectly said. I myself work on cars all the time, hence why I have a hoist in my garage. and its a 2 post wouldnt have it anyother way.

oh, and what you heard about the suspension needing to be loaded, thats for long term storage. like a year or longer. I wouldnt have any problem leaving my car in the air over the winter months. except Im always working on other people cars so it sits in the other bay in my garage in the winter.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

I'm looking for a lift myself for storage, and I'm leaning towards a 4 poster from a safety standpoint.

Almost anybody can put a car on a 4 post lift safely (wife or others), just make sure its on the ramps.

With a 2 post lift, you've got to make sure the arms are in the right spot for the car to be balanced (and maybe use some form of safety chain?).

Just food for thought.....

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-16-2007, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

for all you fella's that may feel a little intimdated and unfamiliar with using a hoist.......

no need or use for any kind of chain, all hoists have mechanical safety built in. in the event of hydraulic failure the hoist will only lower about 4". then the stops would hold it. but, as you've stated, it has to be setup properly. nothing will stop a car from falling off a hoist if its not setup properly. but once you understand the placement its VERY easy to setup. also, I have a piece of duct tape on the floor that I used to mark where the LF tire goes. very easy to put the car in the right place. and my hoist arms dont ever move. just swivel back when I take a car off.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've left my car(s) in the air for months at a time before on my 2 post. No problems. Heck, last time I worked on my 98 was early April, it's been on the lift since... March? February? I dunno.

And while my lift uses hydraulics and cables to lift the car, I always let the pressure out of the hydraulics and let the car actually sit on the safety stops before working on the car. It's not going anywhere.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

thats actualy a very good idea. prolly something I should incorporate in my home lift usage.

Quick Reply: 2 post lifts for storage