Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

URGENT! Damaged threads on head

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT! Damaged threads on head

I wasn't sure whether or not to put this here or in the external engine section so I did both. Sorry for any inconvenience

I've removed my cheap O'reilly header gaskets and I'm installing new copper ones. I was foolish enough to leave the Y-pipe attached and try to put the header back on this way. In the process I had two bolts (far outside) holding the header up in place while I slid the gasket in. The weight from the y-pipe pulled the bolt out and I'm not sure if this damaged the threads or if in the process of trying again I managed to cross-thread it. Either way the bolt will go in but it's definitely damaged and would have to be forced to continue all the way through. I have the aluminum LT1 heads from '97 and I'm looking for some other opinions on what to do.

A) Force the bolt in and hope it doesn't get too hard to push farther before it's completely snug
B) Chase the threads with a tap

If I use a tap I'm going to have to do it with a wrench because I can't fit a drill in there and the head is definitely not coming off. Is there some sort of thread chaser I can pick up that I don't know about?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Chase it with a tap. And for what its worth, whenever you are repairing threads, you always want to do that by hand.