Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Buying tool box, want suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
I run a race team, race for fun, and have a lot of tools, and might work at a shop again.

I'm currently looking at buying a new 52''ish ish box, and wanted your suggestoins based on FIRST HAND Exprerience only.

I'll be moving the box in/out of my racecar trailer a lot, and taking it to a lot of events, and honestly after using and seeing many other peoples boxes here are my two main concearns.

1) DROORS FALLING/SLIDING OPEN IN TRANSIT
2) abuse

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a snap on box, due to the drawer design with the slide over then pull mechanism seems to be the most anti-accidently slide open design. i dont personally know anyone with a NEW mac box, and the matco seems the exact same as my kobalt stuff but heavier duty.

Is there anything I'm overlooking, heres a picture of what I'm looking to buy, along with a new service cart, which im definately getting a used snap-on cart.

any other suggestions?

just want to prevent doors from sliding open by themselves. any you that have ever pushed/moved your box on an uneven surface, one the casters catches something, one loaded drawer comes out, another drawer comes out, eventually box tips over, you get to play 520 tool pick up, and then you start yelling loud words that small children dont need to hear. i dont want that.
I have a box similar to the one in the photo you posted, but mine is 53" (looks wider then that...) and has a similar drawer layout.

I got it For $1300 and I have moved it 4 times, abused the hell out of it, and loaded it to the *****. And it still performs great. The drawers wont slide open, they have a lock... you slide your fingers to the left as you pull, and it opens.

As far as crapsmen... im sorry, but I saw a similar sized craftsman professional series in sears, the thing just felt like crap, and was $1100.

Even though mine is the "lower end" snap on, it's still much better then craftsman....

My price was through my UTI discount however, I dont know what it costs you...
Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADD SS
The drawers wont slide open, they have a lock... you slide your fingers to the left as you pull, and it opens.
this is the #1 reason i wanted a snap-on box, I just wanted to see if any other boxes had this type of opening mechanism for the drawers.

guys im NOT trying to bash on your toolboxes to each his own, but I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING CRAFTSMAN.
I like Bob Vila but I dont want him in my house. Nice guy though.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:34 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I buy mostly Snap On, probably have $30k or so in tools.

Whatever you buy, just make sure you've got double rollers on all the big drawers. I can sit on my drawers no problem.

Seen plenty of Matcos and Macs fail in that area once you get some weight in there. I like some of Matcos stuff... Lately it's all rebadged crap I can get in the off brand catalogs the other tool guys drop off.

Snap Ons tool boxes aren't even priced that badly IMO. There is a LOT of room to work on them price wise. I paid full tag on my first Snap On box. I traded it back in with 100% of the original value ($4K) and paid another $3k to get a $10K dollar box.

All depends on how cool your Snap On guy is. Most would rather sell the box and make a few bucks, rather than seeing Matco/etc. make the sale.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Speaking from experence I have had Snap On boxes as well as Craftsman professional in tool carts that are taken to the race track 26 races a year plus testing... riding down the road in a hauler with air ride beats the hell out of a tool box I coulddnt imagine a small trailer... Needless to say the Snap On box aside from dents and dings still works perfectly, along the way we have had to replace some lock on roll latches from operator error.. but thats about it the Craftsman box hasnt made out so well.. the latches are broke and wont saty closed and the slides have given out on several drawers...So my choice would be Snap On all the way....People who say its ony to hold tools are there isnt that much of difference dosent know what the hell their talking about...
Old 12-02-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not sure if I moved the box incorrectly or if it was just a tweaked box/sliders from the factory but I had to replace 9 of my sliders on my Matco box(I know, I already said that) I have moved the box about 4 times.

Also, Matco boxes have adjustable drawers. You can adjust how stiff it closes and opens but it sucks. There are 2 adjusters on each drawer, I ended up taking one out of each drawer just so they would slide easily. I tried adjusting them so they would be the lightest but I still had to tug on them to open them and shove them closed. I like the box a lot but it doesn't compare to any Snap-On I have used.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
Speaking from experence I have had Snap On boxes as well as Craftsman professional in tool carts that are taken to the race track 26 races a year plus testing... riding down the road in a hauler with air ride beats the hell out of a tool box I coulddnt imagine a small trailer... Needless to say the Snap On box aside from dents and dings still works perfectly, along the way we have had to replace some lock on roll latches from operator error.. but thats about it the Craftsman box hasnt made out so well.. the latches are broke and wont saty closed and the slides have given out on several drawers...So my choice would be Snap On all the way....People who say its ony to hold tools are there isnt that much of difference dosent know what the hell their talking about...
this is exactly what i was looking for. you know where im at.

i woudlnt say the other people dont know what they're talking about though, they've just never needed a mobile shop.

for 70% of ls1tech'ers they'd probably be more than happy with craftsman or kobalt stuff.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My cousin has a MAC toolbox that is sturdy as heck. It's taken a lot of abuse from what I can tell, and hes had it for like 5+ years I believe.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

the box u pictured is rather small. i use to have a single back version and started taking tools home because they wouldnt fit in there. i recommend if your going with a double bank box go with the class 78 from snap on. its quite a bit longer and its about 2 of those wide. its a really good deal for the money. also if you know some snap on tool guys ask around to see if they have any used boxes in the warehouse because you might just find yourself a killer deal like i did. i went from a kra series 9 drawer single bank that i got for free when i bought like 5 thousand worth of tools(just starting) to a krl series triple bank with stainless steel top, 53" riser, and 2 overheads that i payed 5000 even for and he also threw in some appareal. the only problems with it was that it had 1 tiny chip in the bottom of the box(came with touch up paint) and i had to anchor the riser. heres some pics when it was still in the warehouse but im on no race team. i just do mechanical and high performance work on the side, and then for a living i do collision repair and painting so my box really doenst move unless i change jobs, move it to a different location in the shop or am going to be at a race track all weekend and then it goes into the trailer.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ToolBox001.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ToolBox003.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ToolBox002.jpg

Last edited by Fast_94_Z; 12-09-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.nitromfg.com/raceday.html This guys builds nice stuff maybe get some ideas from him... he'll also build a cart for your box no matter what size....
Old 12-09-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
the box u pictured is rather small. i use to have a single back version and started taking tools home because they wouldnt fit in there. i recommend if your going with a double bank box go with the class 78 from snap on. its quite a bit longer and its about 2 of those wide. its a really good deal for the money. also if you know some snap on tool guys ask around to see if they have any used boxes in the warehouse because you might just find yourself a killer deal like i did. i went from a kra series 9 drawer single bank that i got for free when i bought like 5 thousand worth of tools(just starting) to a krl series triple bank with stainless steel top, 53" riser, and 2 overheads that i payed 5000 even for and he also threw in some appareal. the only problems with it was that it had 1 tiny chip in the bottom of the box(came with touch up paint) and i had to anchor the riser. heres some pics when it was still in the warehouse but im on no race team. i just do mechanical and high performance work on the side, and then for a living i do collision repair and painting so my box really doenst move unless i change jobs, move it to a different location in the shop or am going to be at a race track all weekend and then it goes into the trailer.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ToolBox001.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ToolBox003.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ToolBox002.jpg

thats way too big for what i need. i only work on my car, and i have 80% of everything i'd ever want already. id just like to get some more powertools.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
http://www.nitromfg.com/raceday.html This guys builds nice stuff maybe get some ideas from him... he'll also build a cart for your box no matter what size....
those are awesome, but im poor.

Quick Reply: Buying tool box, want suggestions.