Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Welding chromoly

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig Man 1
No, just replying to a stupid question. A friend showed it to me. I don't give a rats *** if it's 20 yrs ago Son. I think your Walmart type careers are getting to ya. I got the sand out of my ***** when I unburied your Mom, boy.
**** knuckles, let's see your work big mouth!
I went and looked at your website. I can say that the fit up of your shops work looks very nice. I can also say that the information that you post is solid. However, your attitude towards this trade is rather unappealing. Anyone that understands the concept that TIG is a uniform and controlled pattern of heat control will agree that it is a superior weld. For the general public, HAZ and radial penetration is a hard concept to follow. Running a keyhole is something relative to stick and tig, at the very least a keyhole is a mute point in light gauge mig. If you have a heyhole in 14 ga. or less, you are running too much heat. My personal opinion, you come off as someone that has some good points and knowledge to pass on. However, you have a chip on your shoulder with little reason. Based on the website, I dont see any evidence of ASME nuclear code ability. So calm down and get some sense of humility.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jdustu
Thanks for the PM. Hopefully your work holds up better than the mouth you run.
You musta got the same PM I got. He wanted to see my work. Well, I don't have any pictures. My welds are in the field doing work. I have a couple at the bottom of the ocean on a pipeline somewhere, done in Monel flanges and pipe. Lots in the middle east, lots here in the states. Big whoop really. But I don't have a website with pictures so I don't know jack
Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You musta got the same PM I got. He wanted to see my work. Well, I don't have any pictures. My welds are in the field doing work. I have a couple at the bottom of the ocean on a pipeline somewhere, done in Monel flanges and pipe. Lots in the middle east, lots here in the states. Big whoop really. But I don't have a website with pictures so I don't know jack
Oh no, I've got a LOT of pics on my site...of my art. But you know how "that guy" is, they *assume* a bit too much, like that's all I do. You know, like I should get back to him when I've "worked on something that people depend on with their lives" rather than "baby toys". I mean, I'm a mil-spec certified welder that's welded parts for and wrenched on Strykers and M1A2 Abrams....does that count? Sorry...the DoD isn't big on posting pics of prototype military ****.

I didn't even look at his site. I could care less. A lot of decent welders are blow hards. Like I said before...he didn't say anything new, he just said it in an incoherent and arrogant fashion.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh no, I've got a LOT of pics on my site...of my art. But you know how "that guy" is, they *assume* a bit too much, like that's all I do. You know, like I should get back to him when I've "worked on something that people depend on with their lives" rather than "baby toys". I mean, I'm a mil-spec certified welder that's welded parts for and wrenched on Strykers and M1A2 Abrams....does that count? Sorry...the DoD isn't big on posting pics of prototype military ****.

I didn't even look at his site. I could care less. A lot of decent welders are blow hards. Like I said before...he didn't say anything new, he just said it in an incoherent and arrogant fashion.
HA, I've seen your work on numerous boards, it's top notch... So dont even give this guy the time of day.... He's a Moron.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Teching In

I am a tig welder for a living..Certified on 4130 in the 6g fixed position..The company I used to work for made Military troop seats that were made of 4130 tubing and they had a robotic MIG welder do most of the welding on the seat..In order for them to weld on 4130 they used ER100 welding wire and the gas was a mixture of argon,co2 and helium..It was made by PraxAir..I then had to go back in with the tig torch using er100 wire and finish off the weld that the robot missed or could not get to because of the angle..I was told that I could not set the machine lower then 165 amps. So yes you can MIG weld 4130 BUT need to have right the tools to do the job..These seats were holding US military personnel and had to hold up to extreme rigorous duty..I took great pride in my work..Also made a lot of gun shields that mounted under the 50cal machine guns...My welds had to hold up to numerous bullet hits or it cost some one their life..

Last edited by jetsbaby; 04-22-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jetsbaby
I am a tig welder for a living..Certified on 4130 in the 6g fixed position..The company I used to work for made Military troop seats that were made of 4130 tubing and they had a robotic MIG welder do most of the welding on the seat..In order for them to weld on 4130 they used ER100 welding wire and the gas was a mixture of argon,co2 and helium..It was made by PraxAir..I then had to go back in with the tig torch using er100 wire and finish off the weld that the robot missed or could not get to because of the angle..I was told that I could not set the machine lower then 165 amps. So yes you can MIG weld 4130 BUT need to have right the tools to do the job..These seats were holding US military personnel and had to hold up to extreme rigorous duty..I took great pride in my work..Also made a lot of gun shields that mounted under the 50cal machine guns...My welds had to hold up to numerous bullet hits or it cost some their life..
Interesting. I would assume its the same ratio tri-mix used to weld stainless mig. I am unexperienced with that alloy of wire though.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Interesting. I would assume its the same ratio tri-mix used to weld stainless mig. I am unexperienced with that alloy of wire though.
If you have Mig spool gun you can weld SS with 100% Argon gas..I have done this in the past and I use 100% Argon when welding stainless with TIG..
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

If you have Mig spool gun you can weld SS with 100% Argon gas..I have done this in the past and I use 100% Argon when welding stainless with TIG..
I have done both and can assure you that with 308L wire the tri-mix works way better. The additional heat from the helium with a touch of CO2 really smooths out the weld. We had to make some vats out of 1/4" SS plate and I wouldnt go back to 100% argon.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Hey Big Dog Welding, do you have any pics of you welding some thin wall 4130? welding thick material is fun to make a colorful weld like all the pics on your site, but thin material is bit tougher to get the "color''...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

I can say that bid dog is well beyond me in the TIG realm, my abilities are more in structural and pipe. But here are some of my basic welds in 16 gauge stainless. It all about working the pedal, not that hard when you get the hang of it.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

^^^nice

i'll have to get some pics next time im fabbing something up for the car. My moms always on me to get a scrapbook going... Big Dog definitely has a nice showcase for sure.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

At my old welding job I did a lot of stainless TIG (flanges/pipe/etc.). We had an old lathe chuck that had a gear reduction motor mounted to the backside of it. It was foot controlled for turning speed. I would chuck the piece up, spin it with one foot and heat control with the other foot. I could make TIG welds look like a computer controlled welder did them. I always said I was going to make one of those things for my shop one day, and I will.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

0.083" chromium molybdenum tubing using military practices
Beaudacious
Attached Thumbnails Welding chromoly-25.2-main-hoop.jpg   Welding chromoly-tig.jpg  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am a tig welder for a living..Certified on 4130 in the 6g fixed position..The company I used to work for made Military troop seats that were made of 4130 tubing and they had a robotic MIG welder do most of the welding on the seat..In order for them to weld on 4130 they used ER100 welding wire and the gas was a mixture of argon,co2 and helium..It was made by PraxAir..I then had to go back in with the tig torch using er100 wire and finish off the weld that the robot missed or could not get to because of the angle..I was told that I could not set the machine lower then 165 amps. So yes you can MIG weld 4130 BUT need to have right the tools to do the job..These seats were holding US military personnel and had to hold up to extreme rigorous duty..I took great pride in my work..Also made a lot of gun shields that mounted under the 50cal machine guns...My welds had to hold up to numerous bullet hits or it cost some one their life..
That's pretty interesting stuff. It is always neat to see how processes can develop out of necessity. I know the Navy was trying to adapt some MIG processes to weld titanium, I'm not sure how successful they were.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Very nice looking welds.. Did you back gas the pipe?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by i6overboard
Hey Big Dog Welding, do you have any pics of you welding some thin wall 4130? welding thick material is fun to make a colorful weld like all the pics on your site, but thin material is bit tougher to get the "color''...
For some reason the post I made earlier replying to this never showed up? Or now that I think of it, one of the pics I posted might have been clickable, and if clicked would have gone to my Flickr, which may have had a link to my website. So maybe it got deleted. A notification would be cool. Whatever, totally remember why I rarely post on any of these boards anymore.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Your post did not get deleted, nor would it have been. I think you have an operator issue.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Very nice looking welds.. Did you back gas the pipe?
Yes, not much flow, but it is purged.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by i6overboard
I certified 6g on 3/8 OD 1/16" wall 4130 many moons ago, but I've only done odd cm jobs since.

The color looks cool, but all it is is the result of the chemicals present on the surface of the weld once it's hit by the atmosphere. Get it above a certain temp and it's just gonna be silver or grey. Yeah, you can pour the heat to thicker stuff and still get some rainbows for sure, and it also depends on material composition. High hard and ss really "light up". So does Titanium, which isn't good, and is the reason you need more than typically gas purge.

But it's not really hard to do on thinner stuff. Just heat control.

This stuff isn't really all that thin, both pieces are 1/8". But they are small, so there isn't much metal to soak up the heat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/browndogwelding/6518466383/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/browndogwelding/6865977856/

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Your post did not get deleted, nor would it have been. I think you have an operator issue.
Definitely possible. Although to say "nor would it have been" is a bit of a stretch, considering my first though would have been operator error had my posts not been deleted from this forum before without notice. But I don't get on here much anymore, so perhaps you're correct.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Definitely possible. Although to say "nor would it have been" is a bit of a stretch, considering my first though would have been operator error had my posts not been deleted from this forum before without notice. But I don't get on here much anymore, so perhaps you're correct.
I can say this much; this section has very little active moderation, besides me dropping in. I specifically know who YOU are from welding web. Unless you posted ****, graphic violence, or directly offered or solicited business that infringes on sponsors, I dont give a ****. So again, I call it operator error.

Quick Reply: Welding chromoly