Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Which would be the best MIG Welder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up the miller MM210 a couple years back. Same as USA1RACING stated above, I wanted one machine that I would have for the rest of my life. I have never had a problem with it. It is also is spoolgun ready.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADD SS
The miller Dv12 is a 110/220 dual input voltage machine, that goes up to I think 180 amps... perfect for the home user...
Yeah, I've got one. I thought the versatility would be cool, but it's a little heavy to be lugging around For me personally, I should have spent the extra money and gotten a passport(versatility, portability) or a 252(power). I took my dvi2 in to get checked out because it kept shutting down, and I didn't think I was close to the duty cycle. I guess I was wrong, because it checked out fine. An electrician at work was telling me about a mod or two he did that may help me, but I'm not wanting to void the warranty right now.

It'll come in handy if I ever move and don't have 220 right away. It welds nice as long as it's not shutting down.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdustu
Yeah, I've got one. I thought the versatility would be cool, but it's a little heavy to be lugging around For me personally, I should have spent the extra money and gotten a passport(versatility, portability) or a 252(power). I took my dvi2 in to get checked out because it kept shutting down, and I didn't think I was close to the duty cycle. I guess I was wrong, because it checked out fine. An electrician at work was telling me about a mod or two he did that may help me, but I'm not wanting to void the warranty right now.

It'll come in handy if I ever move and don't have 220 right away. It welds nice as long as it's not shutting down.
Im surprised, I heard lots of good things about it, what were you welding?

Passports are very over rated, imo... @52 is an awesome machine, but almost nobody working on cars will ever need it, its a heavy fab unit... I use it for building trailers.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im surprised, I heard lots of good things about it, what were you welding?

Passports are very over rated, imo... @52 is an awesome machine, but almost nobody working on cars will ever need it, its a heavy fab unit... I use it for building trailers.
Well, the first time it happened I was welding on some 1/4" just messing around. I guess I must have went past the duty cycle. But then after letting it cool down it would just shut off right away again once I started back up.

This last time, I was welding stuff that it really had no business attempting, but I was going to see if maybe I could do it in multiple passes(it was like 1/2" to 3/4" plate) I could tack the piece together, but as soon as I would try to lay a bead it would shut down.

Of course I'm used to using a 3 phase mm300 at work, I can just go with that beast and never worry about a thing.

A guy at work has the passport, and the thing is wicked. You can plug it into different power sources, it weighs nothing, you can run it off of the little compressed co2 bottles or a regular "big" bottle, and now the new ones you can plug a spool gun into. Obviously for a fab shop where all the work is in one place it wouldn't be the right fit, but if I get someone that needs something welded up on the spot and they can't come to me it would be perfect.

They would have bought my dvi2 back for 1k, and it would have cost me about another 1k for the 252. I've got other things I need more than that right now
Old 02-03-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

miller 252 all the way, one of the easiest and best welders i've ever used.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jdustu
Well, the first time it happened I was welding on some 1/4" just messing around. I guess I must have went past the duty cycle. But then after letting it cool down it would just shut off right away again once I started back up.

This last time, I was welding stuff that it really had no business attempting, but I was going to see if maybe I could do it in multiple passes(it was like 1/2" to 3/4" plate) I could tack the piece together, but as soon as I would try to lay a bead it would shut down.

Of course I'm used to using a 3 phase mm300 at work, I can just go with that beast and never worry about a thing.

A guy at work has the passport, and the thing is wicked. You can plug it into different power sources, it weighs nothing, you can run it off of the little compressed co2 bottles or a regular "big" bottle, and now the new ones you can plug a spool gun into. Obviously for a fab shop where all the work is in one place it wouldn't be the right fit, but if I get someone that needs something welded up on the spot and they can't come to me it would be perfect.

They would have bought my dvi2 back for 1k, and it would have cost me about another 1k for the 252. I've got other things I need more than that right now
Sounds fishy to me, I mean you should be able to lay a bead on thick steel for as long as it takes the thermal switch to trip. The thickness of steel doesnt matter for anything but penetration, I can lay a bead on 3/4" plate with my sp135 plus, it wont hold for crap, but it can go until it overheats, I think there is something wrong with your machine.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds fishy to me, I mean you should be able to lay a bead on thick steel for as long as it takes the thermal switch to trip. The thickness of steel doesnt matter for anything but penetration, I can lay a bead on 3/4" plate with my sp135 plus, it wont hold for crap, but it can go until it overheats, I think there is something wrong with your machine.

That's what I was thinking. So I took it in to Wilson Welding(praxair now) and the repairman put it through the ringer and said everything checked out. The newer machines(starting in '07 I think) have two thermastats that will shut it down if it overheats, I was thinking maybe one of them went bad. But he said it was all good, the duty cycle is just so low when it's cranked up. He also said I can't just start welding again after the machine kicks back on, I've got to let it cool longer. That sucks because it takes forever just to kick back on. I talked to someone else who suggested that I make sure I'm pulling enough amps out of my outlet.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking of going this route if I can get this one cheap enough. Its just for around the house and and making stuff in my basement and helping my neighbor patch on his farm equipment.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...212563816&rd=1
Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Duty cycle is the one thing that the small 110 machines will eat your lunch. You often times need to run them at max amps to do what you need. uty cycle can in reality be 30%. Doesnt take long to put them in protect mode. A 200 amp 220v machine is IMO the perfect solution for a hobbyist. Readily available used for $700-$900. And if you want to build a gate or something that has 1/4"+ material you can still blast it on.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking about this guy here for just doing exhaust work and fabbing up intake plumbing on my turbo car:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+503465

or this one for a bit more. I only have about 400 to spend on a welder. That, and I don't have provisions for 220 at my rent house.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+503465
Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

the weldpak has a 135 amp machine also, runs off of 110V....its the 3100 i believe. every little extra amp counts.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Seriously, i own a fab shop, and i have a miller 252, but i run the **** out of it everyday, if your not looking to run 40 lbs of wire through a machine every couple weeks, dont bother. i also have a small lincoln that i take with me to on site jobs, it welds up to 1/4 inch pass with ease, and welds as good as a small 220 welder. if its just a hobby, these days you dont need anything bigger.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

i've used nothing but Miller 210's for home/hobby welding with great success and satisfaction....either way, do NOT waste your money on 110v welders.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How easy is it to wire up our own 210 circuit? Or at least, how much does it cost to get an electrician in to do it? Only reason I would just go with a 110v because 110 is easily available.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MILLER!!!! stay away from lincoln

PANASONIC MIG's are great, too,

stay away from 110v..
Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

i have a hobart handler 140 works great and has the gas hookup too

Quick Reply: Which would be the best MIG Welder?