Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Wal-Mart Ratchet

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wal-Mart Ratchet

I installed my headers/ORY & Lanes 4 in catback this past weekend. I took a look under the hood to see if there was any tools that I needed in addition to my existing collection. I needed a 3/8 stubby ratchet. I went to Walmart and bought a Great Neck brand about 4" in length (part #28006). I was a little skeptical about a Taiwan ratchet (I try to buy American at all costs, but it was late and no one was open.) I was wrong to be so skeptical. This ratchet has the best ratchet mechanism of any that I have ever used. I compared it to my Craftsman (part #437847) and measured for 1/4 of a turn. For 1/4 of a turn the Craftsman made 6 clicks, the Great Neck made 22 clicks. When you are working with limited room this is very important. I have always used Snap-On, Mac and Craftsman but I will be going to Walmart the next time I need a ratchet. Also this ratchet was about five or six bucks (I can't remember exactly) and no other manufacture could match that price if they had been available.

Later,
Bart
Old 07-17-2003, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Wal-Mart Ratchet

lets see how long it lasts. having more clicks per turn makes tight spaces better but you have to keep in mind that the teeth are smaller and easier to break.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought an additional craftsman rachet (regular size) that has finer teeth for tighter spaces. It doesn't have the quick release, so I don't use it that often.

Air rachets are good too
Old 07-19-2003, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy American
Old 07-19-2003, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Most craftsman tools are now made in Mexico or overseas FYI.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most craftsman tools are now made in Mexico or overseas FYI.
Perhaps it's my imagination, but I've noticed that the Craftsman tools don't seem to measure up as well as I remember, despite their return policy.
I'm wondering if "drop forged" means that they drop them (on the floor), then they forge them. Forge takes on a whole new meaning.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

I quit buying craftsman tools long ago. It's now their policy to replace vintage (well built units) with their cheaper off brand ones. If you insist on a good one, they just say thay can't replace it since the tool was abused. Least, that has been my experiance with craftsman lately.

Now I buy stanley from Wal Mart. Lifetime warranty and I have yet to have one break, other than a socket which was my fault, but they replaced it anyhow.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Launching!

The couple times I returned tools at sears I just take the broke one up to the counter and they tell me to get another. No problems, with the exchange.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The couple times I returned tools at sears I just take the broke one up to the counter and they tell me to get another. No problems, with the exchange.
I must admit, that's been my experience as well. This tradeoff is what keeps me buyin'.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use my craftsman tools every day, i make my living with them. I have broke more sockets usings them on my impact.
I have broke screwdrivers using them as pry bars. I have broke ratchets and breaker bars, wrenchs and plairs, if they make it i problay have broke it. I have never had a problem returing anything, I even once got my 5/8 wrench stuck in a frame and had to cut it in half to get it out, i took it to sears and they handed me a new one. Snap on will play the you abused it ill give you half off on a new one game. Thats crap tools are not cheap and they do break/wear out under normal conditions, I like crafts man cuz I know I will not have to buy anything more then once.....except socket sets because they came out with the laser etched ones and I had to get them they are .
Old 07-24-2003, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

check out the Mac Mirco tuff stubbies if you get a chance,5 degree swing.and a locking swivel head. They are pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart Ratchet