Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Removing tires from the rim ?s.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the big truck tires are easier than car tires with out a doubt...id rather do those anyday because they weigh 400 pounds..
Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

I saw a guy at the wreckers who had a portable tire stand. It had one arm to steady it and the post for the tire and the removal arm. Folded up to carry. He said he bought it.

I cut tires off 2 steel rims. Sabre saw to cut a 'bite' out the tire and a cutoff wheel to slice the beads. Nicked the rim a bit, but JBwelded it. More trouble than it was worth.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple tire spoons, a big vice or other device to break the beads and your set. Just need practice. Ive done 50-60 this way, if I can find my camera I'll post a pic.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Launching!

ok well let me tell its posible, now a story, once apon a time me and my friend were coming home at 3:00am and we had a blow out so we throw the spare on and with in the next mile the spare tire exploded, so luckly we pull over and there was a old dirty *** tire in the ditch and it was the same rim size so using only what had in the truck we put that bitch on it was a pain in the *** but we did it with little of nothing as far as tools
Old 07-04-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002Z28Camaro
ok well let me tell its posible, now a story, once apon a time me and my friend were coming home at 3:00am and we had a blow out so we throw the spare on and with in the next mile the spare tire exploded, so luckly we pull over and there was a old dirty *** tire in the ditch and it was the same rim size so using only what had in the truck we put that bitch on it was a pain in the *** but we did it with little of nothing as far as tools
if thats no b/s. your the man.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

well im from texas and we use a back hoe to break the bead and then use tire spoons to do the reast and it is very easy to bend and scratch a rim so be real careful and when you go to put it back on use starter fluid to set the bead just spray it around the edge of the rim and light it up its freaking awsome
Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PunkerPontiac
haha. your joking right?

ok seriously it is just about imposible. to do without majorly damaging the rim it is on.
There is a way without damaging the rim. It involves a truck, a jack, and lots of jumping Bleed the tire fully of air. Place the tire on the ground underneath the back-end of the truck. Place the jack between the truck and the "rubber" part of the tire. Then comes the fun part-Jack it up until you feel comfortable, and start jumping. You'll soon hear a pop letting you know you've broken the bead. The rest should be easy. Now getting them back on a rim with nothing but a couple of scoops and some atf... Thats another story <-Real redneck engineering

Quick Reply: Removing tires from the rim ?s.