Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

home built air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008 | 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Default home built air compressor

First, little back story:
I started out with a Home Depot, 220Volt unit that was "rated" at 5HP/11CFM@90PSI (though there is NO WAY it came close to that) and used a 60gal tank. After a solid 10 years of working, the pump died (just wouldn't build air pressure anymore) so the "hot rodder" in me came out yet again. Honestly, WHY go BUY a whole new unit when you can piece together something BETTER?

So went and bought a heavy duty (100% duty cycle) 2 stage compressor pump (rated at 35CFM @ 145PSI) and a BIG 220Volt TRUE 7.5HP motor (the motor alone weighs over 75lbs and is rated at 35AMPs run current), both from Granger. Built a little "sled" stand to mount them on. Piped them into the old 60gal tank. And there it is...super compressor. The compressor has a dedicated 50AMP, 220Volt line and when it flips on, lights dim in the garage (its AWSOME!!! ).

Ok...so yes I'm showing off a bit but you have to admit...it's a wonderful example of the pure EXCESS we here all love

note: I stood an LS1 valve cover up against the compressor to give some kind of size comparison...
Attached Thumbnails home built air compressor-img_0102.jpg   home built air compressor-img_0103.jpg  

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 08-09-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2008 | 05:41 AM
Launching!

Awesome! Must have been A LOT cheaper piecing together your own motor and pump rather buying a whole new unit. Single phase 220V motor Im assuming? Too bad you couldnt run a three phase motor.
Old 08-10-2008 | 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dang, that's a head unit there! Serious CFM, and that motor's a monster.

Though from Grainger, unless you caught it on sale, I'm sure it wasn't cheap. But even then, you'll have to spend $$$$ to get that level of compressor anywhere else.
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

In the end it really wasn't expensive at all (considering what it is). Looking at the cost to replace the old HomeDepot unit with the same thing was nearly $800.

From Grainger the new pump and motor were only about $1000-$1100 (which to buy a whole setup of equal size would have been around $2000+). Now there were other little pieces (controller, hoses, etc. which added $200 or so) but still overall dirt cheep for an industrial level compressor setup.

Yes, 220Volt 1-phase... I wish the power companies would run 3-phase in residential areas as well.....

Before I built this setup I came across a "used" horizontal tank, 3-phase compressor (HUGE!!! had 2 15HP motors running 2 different 4-piston/compound pumps... in other words 4 of my compressors, but larger) for about a $1000 (shop went out of business).....though how I would have moved it, much less where to PUT IT... still makes a nice day dream
Old 08-10-2008 | 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice, although i wouldnt want to go broke running my compressor lol. i was looking at speedaire parts when my pump died, way to expensive, then i found the cheap pump on it on ebay for about 100 bucks. it sucks, and i wish it was 60 gallon, but i need to stop spending so much money on tools and more on car parts

Quick Reply: home built air compressor