Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

box question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default box question

what is a good box to start out with for a starting tech?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

A used one.

I see some great deals on Craigslist all over these days. Guys want money, need to sell their boxes. Snap On, Matco, can't go wrong with those. I have a Matco service cart as my primary box, I love it. Anywhere from $500 to $2500 will get you something nice.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

any one else got any input?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with the above, because I made many mistakes when I first started wrenching. I bought a craftsman box and added to it and added to it. You will waste so much money with the cheap boxes and never have the storage as a nicely made box. Look on craigs list and search the internet for used tool boxes. You cant go wrong with mac, matco, or snapon. Personally I have a snap on box. Its 54 wide, 42 high, and 32 deep. I am pretty much set as far as tools and have some room left in my box. You could also go Cornwell tools. There boxes are made very nice, and are cheaper than the other big names. They also offer the deep boxes that make a big difference in room.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Teching In

You want a box that is big enough for all your tools and give you room to grow. Really look at the dimensions of the boxes. Some bigger prybars and long extensions wont fit in some regular sized tool boxes. You also need to look at the drawers, one thing ive noticed on some of the cheaper boxes and only with certain manufacturers, the drawers wont be as deep as the box. The box looks big but the drawer is what holds the tools. Generally you get what you pay for but craigslist is the ****, pawn shops can have some good deals too. Ive seen more than one person open a snap-on account and then the very next day pawn that **** for cash money. With some luck youll catch a good deal.

Ryan
Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

I would also say get a used one, because it boils down to use, in the end its just not worth it.... just like when a coworker scraped mine up on accident....

anyway.. I've got a top of the line craftsman, that I absolutely love.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

buy a good quality box and get it USED for as cheap as possible. spend your money on quality tools in the mean time. once you out grow the box at least youll have a whole shitload of tools to put in a nice new expensive box. ive seen too many young guys waste big money on a killer box , then cant afford to fill it

Trending Topics

Old 08-13-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree about depth. I have 4 Craftsman roll around boxes - the ones that go on sale for a few hundred bucks for a stack - and they're only about 20" deep. They pretty much suck for longer tools. And don't get me started on non-ball-bearing slides (aka "quiet glide")...

My Matco (see pic here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...5&d=1166230152 ) is something like 30"+ deep, and swallowed up every one of my hand tools. I was able to lay out all of my wrenches in the top drawer alone. That box cost me $500, "freight damaged" - worth every bit of it. The picture is deceiving, it stands about 4 feet tall.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default box

get bigger than you need - you will get more tools! ball bearing slides a BIG plus! craigslist is good place to buy used if you have the cash. I Hate my big matco box- it's an older non ball bearing drawer that sucks to open and close I'm wanting to upgrade now- must have more space!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

i have a triple bank snap on rollaway that im selling. it has a stainless steel top, 22 drawers, selling for $8300 lists 9800 new

Quick Reply: box question