User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

PNG Images

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PNG Images

I have created many signatures for many forums, but this site has provided a problem. It appears you can not host from photobucket using the PNG format. My guess would be that this is because the site does not recognize the ending.

PNG images provide transparency unlike JPEG images. I began making all of my signatures in PNG format so they would be "universal" for forums. Unless you have a square border there is only two ways to make a non geometric image work. You can color the background to match the site or use png and make the image transparent. The problem with coloring the background is that while it may work great on here it would clash with Z28.com's or Northern Kentucky Fbody's white and blue backgrounds.

Here is a signature that does not work here when trying to add as a signature. If I upload the image it changes the transparency to white and ruins the image look.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I experienced this problem with my sig when Ethan made it. I also think it would be better if you could post a sig from photobucket. If you follow the instructions listed on the site, you end up getting a link to the sig and not the image, even with [img][/img].
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I looked over the permissions and the normal user group cannot have remote hosted signature pictures. The IMG tag is disabled. This means it applies to all remote hosted pictures in signatures. With the default software, there is no way to allow Administration to say they want to allow signature pictures hosted by Photobucket, but not X (insert another host). I'm guess the Administration set it this way due to abuse. All signature pictures must be hosted on LS1Tech's server by uploading the picture. This is why receive a link to the signature picture in your signature, rather than the image, because the IMG tag has been disabled in the signature. Only pictures uploaded to LS1Tech's server will display in a signature.

Originally Posted by greg_74
I experienced this problem with my sig when Ethan made it. I also think it would be better if you could post a sig from photobucket. If you follow the instructions listed on the site, you end up getting a link to the sig and not the image, even with [img][/img].
Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Uploaded images use more bandwidth than hosted images. While a hosted picture may take longer to load the actual site content such as text and what not will load faster.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:31 PM

You'll have to take that up with the LS1Tech's Administration. I merely provided an explanation and did some research. Currently, the Regular user group has no permission to allow remote hosted signature pictures. All attempts will simply end up in a link without the image being displayed. As greg_74 mentioned having links displayed, rather than the image, I explained why.

I don't believe bandwidth is the issue here. I believe it was abuse. There's more control when the images are hosted on LS1Tech's servers than if it's allowed to be hosted anywhere else.

Originally Posted by Ethan91
Uploaded images use more bandwidth than hosted images. While a hosted picture may take longer to load the actual site content such as text and what not will load faster.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well basically all this thread did was get me in trouble for having too many lines in my sig haha. To which ever admin pointed this out, is it good now?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
IB Staff

.png sig test.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 AM
IB Staff

Ethan, I was able to upload your PNG to my sig, and the png hasn't been changed, it's still got a transparent background...

what was your issue?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Teching In

When I try to add the image it comes out as a link. When the image is uploaded the transparency becomes white.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
IB Staff

I think it's shrinking your image and that's what's killing the transparency.

Please ensure your .png file meets the exact size requirements for member sig images, I think that will solve your problem.

cheers,
robb
Old 04-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Teching In

That's not it either. I made one exactly 500 pixels by 150 pixels and it still appears to change the image. Believing my image quality may be to high I went below the maximum of 500 x 150 and still no change.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:24 PM

It must be filesize. The Regular user group has a defined max filesize of 61,440 bytes. Your example, in the initial post of this thread, is almost double that at 112,044 bytes. This is likely why Robb and myself was able to do it because we're in a different user group.

That's not it either. I made one exactly 500 pixels by 150 pixels and it still appears to change the image. Believing my image quality may be to high I went below the maximum of 500 x 150 and still no change.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why's Robb using your sig Ethan? Haha
Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 PM

Robb works for Internet Brands, which is the company that owns this website. He most likely was using the signature for testing purposes to see if there was a valid forum issue. However, as Robb is in a different user group for access reasons, he was able to use the signature, as-is, because the Admin/IB user group doesn't have the same restrictions as the regular user groups.

Originally Posted by greg_74
Why's Robb using your sig Ethan? Haha
Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 AM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by JeremyT
Robb works for Internet Brands, which is the company that owns this website. He most likely was using the signature for testing purposes to see if there was a valid forum issue. However, as Robb is in a different user group for access reasons, he was able to use the signature, as-is, because the Admin/IB user group doesn't have the same restrictions as the regular user groups.
You are correct Sir.

Ethan, give this one a shot, see if it works for you.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Robb M.
You are correct Sir.

Ethan, give this one a shot, see if it works for you.

I get this error This PNG image has the incorrect file extension.

I tried to open it with my photoshop to resave it, but it won't open it either. That is strange.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here:
Attached Thumbnails PNG Images-tropica.gif  
Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM
IB Staff

I get this error This PNG image has the incorrect file extension.

I tried to open it with my photoshop to resave it, but it won't open it either. That is strange.
Weird.

Maybe try right clicking and saving from this, I re-saved it:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73557/Tropica.png
Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Now it let me upload it, but it doesnt show anything. Like there is nothing there
Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 PM

I checked your account and the signature image is associated to your account. You also have the sigpic tags inside your signature to enable it.

Looks like the "Show your signature" option isn't checked for your above post. Did you disable it? Or was it not selected by default?

Quick Reply: PNG Images