User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Post Count Seniority (ALL INSIDE)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Post Count Seniority (ALL INSIDE)

I like the idea of the 10 year member thread but wanted to see what others think about providing a little more seniority to those who come on here day in and day out? Not big perks but more perks than the average member... I think a good post count goal would be 6000 posts! I don't care if we only count posts that show on the avatar or if we include ALL posts combined (which would probably put me around 6,000 to 8,000 posts total since 2008) in order to get the perks... I will list some ideas of perks and don't mind other peoples ideas being included...

1: private room.
2: username bolded and colored(can be one color for all as to not get confused as a mod or admin.)
3: ability to change the member stamp below the username(eg: tech regular.)
4: ability to change username once over the life of the account upon request.
5: opens ability to get posts added to post count for key sections such as the Texas section for me or Florida section for the Florida members and so on (kill section not included)

I will add more ideas as I go but I am on my cell and want to post this up pretty fast...
Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do believe club rsx has a post reward system. I think it would fit in nicely here.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea
Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I never post as much as i should
Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I dislike the idea. It's one thing to offer rewards for long time membership status, which cannot be artifically inflated, but when you offer rewards for simple post count all you do is encourage post-whoring.

We disabled post count in non-tech sections for a reason. To bring it back to the regional sections (as you have suggested) is not the right move IMO.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I get all the #1 perks for having the highest "fake" posts. Check my stats
Old 12-20-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Post Count? No.
Quality over Quantity.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

I see it on here and on every other forum that Im on, people attempt to post whole to meet requirements to post in classifieds or gain other benefits that are meant for members. The more benefits you give for a high post count the more stupid posts you will get.

And I agree with the quality over quantity thing too. The only reason the classifieds are restricted is to try and keep new people from ripping members off (and this site is an information site before a classifieds site). But to restrict other information is just stupid. This forum should be open so information is available to everyone that is willing to learn. And honestly I doubt most long term members would care if they had a 5 or 10 year member stamp or had their user name a different color. Your join date is right there so people know how long you have been around. And honestly I could care less how long someone has been on here as long as they post quality information and not just random crap.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you guys really think people would post up more stupid crap so they could get their user name bolded and the color changed?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

All good points, however the perks are ideas so they don't ALL have to be included... if post count for regenal section is not a good idea then it doesn't have to be included... also to weed out post ****** all you have to do is also put a time frame requirement on it such as the 6000 post status doesn't count unless you have been a member for 5 years! I still think its a good idea because it could be tweeked in order to weed out the people that are just simply posting to be trolls... I'm not trying to set easy requirements! As you can see I don't even qualify for this yet but we do have some that do... I believe they need pats on the back for there contrabutions that they have provided with information and good reads!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting idea. I'd like to see where this goes.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
And I agree with the quality over quantity thing too. The only reason the classifieds are restricted is to try and keep new people from ripping members off (and this site is an information site before a classifieds site). But to restrict other information is just stupid. This forum should be open so information is available to everyone that is willing to learn. And honestly I doubt most long term members would care if they had a 5 or 10 year member stamp or had their user name a different color. Your join date is right there so people know how long you have been around. And honestly I could care less how long someone has been on here as long as they post quality information and not just random crap.
Exactly. I post frequently in the "What's It Worth' section (posts do NOT count there by the way) to assist others, plain and simple. I don't need 'credit' for the number of posts or special colors or whatever. C'mon...
Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

I see what you are saying but if we go by this then we could also say that we don't need a member since date or a post count what so ever and that it could only be seen by mods and admins! We don't need any of it but that's why its called perks...
Originally Posted by NC01TA
Exactly. I post frequently in the "What's It Worth' section (posts do NOT count there by the way) to assist others, plain and simple. I don't need 'credit' for the number of posts or special colors or whatever. C'mon...
Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

rewards should be givin with time not post count, cuase then your random joe is ganna reply to every single post he can every say
Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

i like trader rating LOL as the measuring stick
Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Do you guys really think people would post up more stupid crap so they could get their user name bolded and the color changed?
I dig your sarcasm.

OP, dumb idea.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I see it on here and on every other forum that Im on, people attempt to post whole to meet requirements to post in classifieds or gain other benefits that are meant for members. The more benefits you give for a high post count the more stupid posts you will get.

Agreed, very good points.

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
I see what you are saying but if we go by this then we could also say that we don't need a member since date or a post count what so ever and that it could only be seen by mods and admins! We don't need any of it but that's why its called perks...
Actually, there are some sites that have completely removed post count from all members. And I know that there are some staff members on this site over the years that have suggested doing away with post count here as well. I don't necessarily agree myself, but there are some that have this opinion.

As for "member since" dates, that's a whole different thing. You can't artifically inflate that like you can with post count. There is not nearly enough staff on this site to read every single post every single day, so there would be plenty of post whoring to gain these "perks".
Old 12-21-2011, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

We have enough terrible pointless threads that come on here daily. We don't need to give people a reason....isn't that the reason people came to tech. For technical advice. Not for bull threads asking if you like shoes or watches or stupid viral videos from the Internet
Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry guys, I've abused the post count to get to 50 just so I could sell in the classifieds. I am an active member of other boards and just wanted to use the popularity to get some of my stuff sold. It worked well, but I am guilty of padding my responses. Thanks for the site, though.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Right. I don't see the point.

However...

I miss the days when one had to post something completely unique to gain a custom title What were some of you guys doing back in 2003 when I was a newb?

Quick Reply: Post Count Seniority (ALL INSIDE)