User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

new rule?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rule?

I propose a new rule for noobs to only be able to post to certain sections on the forum untill they reach either a time or post count. Like in the classifieds section, the resriction is what, 50 posts then your free?

I say this because we all know there is way to much laziness upon the noobs who post first instead of search! Most noobs join, ask simple questions instesd of searching and those like me have to shift threw a ton on CRAP theads to get to the good threads. Im not trying to be a *****, im all for helping someone out, just asking if there is a way to clean up the tech site so we can get to the actual TECH part. Anyway.. just my .02
Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

It can be irritating for those of who know things already, but it is how the community grows and people learn. Try to be patient. At one time, none of us knew anything about the LS cars
Old 06-15-2012, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckless
It can be irritating for those of who know things already, but it is how the community grows and people learn. Try to be patient. At one time, none of us knew anything about the LS cars

If new people are asking thoughtful (albeit basic and common) questions, then I really don't see an issue with it. Sometimes we'll just lock a thread and direct someone to the stickies, etc., if it's appropriate for the situation. But if all we allow is the most advanced, cxutting edge discussion, then there won't be much left to talk about on this site.

But I do understand the point, that search should be better utilized by new members. This is especially true when you see a new thread started on the same page where an identicle thread already exists. Some people do seem to be alergic to basic investigation or simple searching.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-15-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Oh God, a couple of years ago I dug up some of the threads I started when I was brand new. it was good for a bunch of laughs. I was such a newbie when I got here. Lots of helpful people shared info, and now, I try to return the favor. It does pay to help the new guys because one day they will be helping someone else.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The only new rule, or change, if you will, that I'd suggest would be to somehow "lock" the Parts Wanted and Parts Classifieds sections to folks that haven't met the 6 month / 50 post restriction yet.

I can't tell you how many times I've been PM'd about something I have for sale by someone that joined "yesterday" so to speak.

A lot of scammers troll these sections b/c they are still VISIBLE to them, especially the Parts Wanted.

I just think it would cut down a lot on the people getting screwed around with trying to sell or buy a part.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it should be a 6 month waiting period and no "or 50 posts" there's times you'll see someone with 60 posts and just joined that month Just to use the classifieds. And if there was a way to hide the classifieds all together from newbies I'd be for it
Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
The only new rule, or change, if you will, that I'd suggest would be to somehow "lock" the Parts Wanted and Parts Classifieds sections to folks that haven't met the 6 month / 50 post restriction yet.

I can't tell you how many times I've been PM'd about something I have for sale by someone that joined "yesterday" so to speak.

A lot of scammers troll these sections b/c they are still VISIBLE to them, especially the Parts Wanted.

I just think it would cut down a lot on the people getting screwed around with trying to sell or buy a part.
I agree, and I seem to recall that it was like this for a short period of time not too long ago. I don't know why it was changed back; whatever happened it was above my pay grade. But I do agree that people with less than 6/50 shouldn't even have visual access to the parts classifieds.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only rule change I would like to see is the post count actually says how much you post. The 6 month / 50 post restriction rule is great as is.

Quick Reply: new rule?