User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Why are FS threads missing....tried pm'ing moderator

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are FS threads missing....tried pm'ing moderator

I have at least two FS threads that vanished for no apparent reason, trying to find out why as they were not newly posted threads.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

The reason seems to be the fact that you deleted them yourself. There are only two that were deleted, by you, and here are the details:

Stainless Works 2.5" mufflers (Pair) - 10/28/12

Thread deleted by MattKatz
Reason: Double posted by accident

LS1 Water Pump - 12-30-12

Thread deleted by MattKatz
Reason: No longer for sale.

I don't see any other threads started by you that have been removed or deleted by anyone.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Nope, I had a Cnc 243 thread and a ls2
Front cover, valley cover, and rear cover thread which are both missing. I have used VBB type forums For Years and I'm very familiar with how
They operate.....these have mysteriously disappeared, and we're
Not deleted.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by MattKatz
Nope, I had a Cnc 243 thread and a ls2
Front cover, valley cover, and rear cover thread which are both missing. I have used VBB type forums For Years and I'm very familiar with how
They operate.....these have mysteriously disappeared, and we're
Not deleted.
I am guessing you mean these. Which were not deleted, moved, etc. A five second search of your post history brought these up.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...43s-fresh.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ine-cover.html

Our classifieds move a bit faster than most, and it is very easy to "lose" a thread behind many pages after just a few days. For example, you last posted in these threads on 7/3/13, in order to see threads with a "last post" on 7/3/13 I had to go to page 24.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Launching!

Default for the forum is no subscription to threads that you post in. You have to go into your User CP, select "Edit Options" and change subscription options and then they will show up under your subscribed threads. Any of the options other than "Do Not Subscribe" which is default will work. I think default should be to subscribe.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SSellers
Default for the forum is no subscription to threads that you post in. You have to go into your User CP, select "Edit Options" and change subscription options and then they will show up under your subscribed threads. Any of the options other than "Do Not Subscribe" which is default will work. I think default should be to subscribe.

I'm not sure why someone would want to be subscribed to every thread they post/post in. You have two other options for keeping track of threads you have posted in. You can use the "My Recent Topics" link in the header tool bar for a list of threads you have recently posted in, or simply click on your own user name and search posts/threads by user.

The subscription feature is nice for keeping track of threads you might find useful but haven't posted in, and/or threads of particular interest. Personally I would not want to be subsrcibed to every thread I have ever posted in. That would be a lot of clutter IMO. But obviously each user has the option to change from the default if they desire.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

This isnt my first rodeo on VBB, through my own control panel, selecting all threads I started, they are not there....period. (at least not for me) see attached pic, as they are sorted in descending order of last posts. They are not there.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm not sure why someone would want to be subscribed to every thread they post/post in. You have two other options for keeping track of threads you have posted in. You can use the "My Recent Topics" link in the header tool bar for a list of threads you have recently posted in, or simply click on your own user name and search posts/threads by user.

The subscription feature is nice for keeping track of threads you might find useful but haven't posted in, and/or threads of particular interest. Personally I would not want to be subsrcibed to every thread I have ever posted in. That would be a lot of clutter IMO. But obviously each user has the option to change from the default if they desire.
How is it clutter? You click "user cp" and if a thread you posted in has been updated you see it. It does not show every single thread you've ever posted in unless you specifically click "show all subscribed threads". If you ask a question or answer a question and someone posts a few days later with an additional question, how do you know? Do you go in every single day and search for your user name? That only shows your posts, then you have to click on the thread to see if someone else has posted. Well, if you are subscribed to every thread when you post in it then that thread will show as updated in your user CP.....and that's the only thread that shows up in your user CP.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

How is it clutter? You click "user cp" and if a thread you posted in has been updated you see it. It does not show every single thread you've ever posted in unless you specifically click "show all subscribed threads". If you ask a question or answer a question and someone posts a few days later with an additional question, how do you know? Do you go in every single day and search for your user name? That only shows your posts, then you have to click on the thread to see if someone else has posted. Well, if you are subscribed to every thread when you post in it then that thread will show as updated in your user CP.....and that's the only thread that shows up in your user CP.
Have you ever used the "My Recent Topics" link? For threads that you have posted in, it does the same thing as the subscriptions feature, without having to subscribe - for recently active threads. If there have been replies to threads you have posted in since your last visit, they will be bolded and moved right to the top of that screen.

If the post hasn't been replied to in a while, then you can always find it by searching your username. (how often will you be looking for threads you have participated in that haven't been active in over a week?....for me, this would be rare.)

What I mean by "clutter" is that I like to use the subscription feature for threads that I may wish to reference later, rather than to access threads that I have recently posted in. If you subscribe to every thread you ever post in, then the only ones that will be singled out on the main subscription page of User CP will be ones that have been recently active (My Recent Topics can be used for the same purpose). I use the subscription feature to look at threads that often have NOT been recently active, or that I have never posted in, but that have info I may wish to reference. I wouldn't want to dig through every thread I've ever posted in just to find those threads of particular interest, when looking for inactive threads. Yes, they could all be sorted into folders, but that's an extra step you'd have to do for each thread then.

It's just a matter of preference, and each user can change the default if they desire.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

It's just a matter of preference, and each user can change the default if they desire.
Exactly. You put your pants on one leg at a time, I jump into them with both feet.....and it'll be from off the top of the refrigerator if I don't stop getting so fat. Every forum I belong to I set up the same way and it works for me. Granted, this one moves a lot quicker than most but on some I'll often have something pop up in my subscribed threads that is weeks or months old. People are always telling others "use the search!!!!" to find something and if they do and post in it nobody knows.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Quite clear something is wrong in the coding or something because when I do a search of my own name through my own Control Panel those threads do not show up when I search, but obviously you guys see them when you search. You can obviously look at our two screen shots and see the differences and how they are missing.

I have no clue why, but I can't search and find some of my own threads. Something fishy is up.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Exactly. You put your pants on one leg at a time, I jump into them with both feet.....and it'll be from off the top of the refrigerator if I don't stop getting so fat. Every forum I belong to I set up the same way and it works for me. Granted, this one moves a lot quicker than most but on some I'll often have something pop up in my subscribed threads that is weeks or months old. People are always telling others "use the search!!!!" to find something and if they do and post in it nobody knows.
This difference of preference might also have to do with overall posting activity. I have replied to literally thousands of threads, I would not want to be subsrcibed to all or even most of them. What a nightmare it would be to dig through all of that when looking for something inactive that's burried....might as well just do a site search at that point.

Just an FYI.... The "My Recent Topics" link will bring up old threads as well, if there have been any recent replies within the time period you select from the drop down. For example, I just clicked on: My Recent Topics ---> Last Day. It brought up a thread that was originally from 7/10/13 since the most recent reply was made just today.

Originally Posted by MattKatz
Quite clear something is wrong in the coding or something because when I do a search of my own name through my own Control Panel those threads do not show up when I search, but obviously you guys see them when you search. You can obviously look at our two screen shots and see the differences and how they are missing.

I have no clue why, but I can't search and find some of my own threads. Something fishy is up.
This sounds like a question for JeremyT then. You seem to be the only one that can't see the threads in question.

Quick Reply: Why are FS threads missing....tried pm'ing moderator