11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6sojuiced01
you live on hmr dont you i see your car alot
Yup, say whats up next time you see me
Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

no problem, i drive a dark blue jeep librety so if you see someone wave from one you know its me. wish i could have my car here with you and cat3 running around but to high price to ship.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:56 AM
12 Second Club

Chris, I completely agree w/ you. But, on the other hand I can see what they are talking about. It sounds great on the surface but it would only take one person making a comment and next thing you know it turns into exactly what they are talking about. Probably better off sticking to a region.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
Well, the main reason i wanted to do this is because it kinda sucks changing regional forums ever 2 years or so... Like now, there is no Hawaii regional forum, so we just use the west coast... The Other reason i would like to have it is because people in that section will be military, there are ALOT of rules and Regulations concerning post/base standards for vehichles that could be shared... We would also be able to discuss shops that can work on/ tune our cars that are near these post/bases.. in the military, you are always the new kid on the block and its takes awhile to find all the people, hookups, connections that the civilians who have lived in those areas for years allready know.. we would also be able to share local websites for clubs near Posts/Bases.. My intention was absolutly not related to any type of Political Debates, for the most part, military see eye to eye on most topics anyways... we have a job to do, we do it,.... we have a president, we support him... end of story.. But its all ok if we cant get it, we addapt and overcome.. thanks for the support from those who supported the Idea.

chris

SSG Ponykiln reporting as ordered!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think adding it is a good idea. Only car enthusiasts come to this webpage anyway, you aren't going to have the entire military registering. As far as "political", that can happen in any forum, so you might want to close them all, if that is the reason.

It is SO easy to add the forum and see what happens. If it became a problem, which I doubt, it would be closed. To not add one, because it might, potentially, maybe, you never know or whatever other phrase applies, seems a little narrow-minded.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Chris has an excellent idea. I know that is has been brought up before. But as he said, it's hard for us military to find the good shops, tracks, right ppl to run with. I knew chris for only a few months on our local forum then he was gone. Now I'm in Iraq and will be probably be moving again when I get back.

Now, I may end up anywhere in the world. Yes this is a world wide forum, but to try to post a thread and keep it going where eyes can see it, i.e. anyone at Ft. Knox, Ky...I need a good machine shop near Ft Hood. The phone books work good but are the shops??? Only the ones who have been there for some time can help. Oh, and BTW, this is the largest F-body / GM forum on the planet.

We move at an average of 10 times in a 20 year career. Plus, it gives us a chance to "talk shop" in our wonderous acronym style. i.e. I work for the R.E.F. in Centcom, on F.O.B Victory. doing the I.E.D Hunter Killer thing with the J.I.E.D.D.T.F.

Get it?
Anywho, I'm up on this vote, as well. Im' sure the admins can definately find a few Joes on here to Mod the site. I can nominate Chris as one if he wants.

SAPPERS FORWARD--->

EDIT: Also it can takes weeks or months to find a local forum that doesn't treat you like the "new kid in school". For the most part, there are many tricked out cars on military installations. But for the most part, they are riced out, 20" polo wheeled, 6 banger, stangs or f-bodies. Then, as trying to hook up with anyone at a track can be a task in itself. I have noticed, in 17 years, that the new guy isn't too welcome cause he's not a "local". In the military, we're all local.

Last edited by SAPPER; 11-17-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Teching In

I think its a good idea. I myself am not military personnel but I know how often they move around and for a "centralized" forum for them, no matter their worldwidel ocation, would be great. It does give a chance for them to discuss the "local" shops and would help trmendously.

Political arguments happen anywhere....if a political argument occurs and get outta hand, ban, suspend, whatever, dont let it ruin osmething that is obviously neededl ike a Military forum...just my .02 cents.

All this from a Mustang guy...who woulda though
Old 11-17-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Victory? I'm in Fallujah, how are you hunting IEDs all the way over there?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't fret, we come up that way quite often. We are just HQ'd here. Plus all our robots come back here for repair after they get blown up or go FORD on us and breakdown.
Also my main job is to identify capability gaps in units TTP's and help fix them.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

This would be great. I'm fortunate because I'm back near home, due to recruiting duty, but this would definitely benefit all these guys.

SGT Kizer (12C-79R)
Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

I think it would be a great idea.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im in! cool idea.

rock
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

11 years Army vet here. I think some folks could feel it's exclusionary. Not against it by any means, but just playing devil's advocate.

I think the military guys here notice each other and probably PM and such off-line when they want to reminisce about how much the green machine sucked (in the best possible way of course). Not sure an automotive site needs a military site embedded in it. Again, just anticipating the arguments.

Very proud to have served, but many here did not and I think it could be viewed negatively if all the "military guys" band together and have our own forum.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Teching In

I'm kinda new to the site... and camaros... but not to motorsports... i'm active duty air force, so i guess i'm in on the military site thing...
Old 11-17-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the idea too but these days I prefer to limit what I put out there because I may slip up and put my address out there or something else and because your position and what you do I do not want to jeopardize myself but even more my family. I know theres tons out there they can already look up on all of us but being careful is where we failed in the first place. If we do it you need to just make sure friendly conversations do not lead to anything else.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Restricted User

With due respect to LS1tech, they are strictly a 'tech site and we praise them for that. Let's please keep it that way.

I would be willing to make the addition of a military section as my forum is more loosly based as I enjoy all vehilces and all types enthusiats. That option exists or I can make you fellas a new military forum all together! Let me know...name suggestions and help running it would be great.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Its a really good idea. So what do you say LS1TECH?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PonyKiln

SSG Ponykiln reporting as ordered!
What are you reporting? The weather? Nah JK

I would be down with a good forum for military people. Why not? The only place that most of us can call home is where we left XX amount of years ago when we were in our late teens. Now its just temp residences. I have noticed most people "dis" military all the time too. It would be a good place to let the others know not to deal w/ this dude or business. Whatever though they wont do it.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, let me chime in once more. For those who did time in the military and didn't like it, well sorry fer ya. As for allowing a military threaded forum, well, it should be a good thing on here. As I said, this is the largest Forum on the planet. Over 15,000 members and over 12k are active users, everyday of the year.

As for "non-tech" related threads, then what the hell is the racers's lounge. you have ppl on there talking about getting their *** kicked, using Ephedra, etc. That has absolutely nothing to do with a car. It's a "lounge". There would be nothing wrong with a military "lounge".
Then there's the regional threads...I don't think anyone really looks at those too much. But to have a "Joe" forum would be helpful to all of us moving all the time, out to shoot the poop.

I am quite sure that if Military personnel were made Mods, we could control the threads. If they are to become too political or abusive between branches...DUH!!! we just lock it.
So what if we rant, rave, and vent about issues we have in our every day lives being a Marine, Soldier, Airman or Sailor.

See, what alot of you also don't realize is it can also bring enlightenment to people who are at the same installation and don't even know they are there together. Then friends are made and the world of hotrodding continues.

Power is in numbers, gentlemen. Ask Saddam, he'll tell ya.

From across the pond, this is Sapper 1, out!

Quick Reply: LS1Tech Military Section