User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Suggestions to all...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
....sensorship of language that is standard at shops or the track on a site like this is just silly, IMO.
Well said.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:05 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To tell the truth, I don't think a post count is an index of anything. I was a lurker for about a year before I joined. Does that meen that I didn't learn anything in that year and that my points aren't valid. People base too much on post count. Look at this guy, (not trying to start a bash fest)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?userid=61964

This guy has 1365 post in a five month period. If post count is any indication of how much help you are this guy must be the equivalent of PSJ or something. On the contrary if you look at what his posts actually are 95% of them are just random crap in the Florida section. Granted he has a couple useful post else where, but you can see what I'm trying to say.

Compare this to someone like Argon Z
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?userid=8105

This dudes a freaking genius. Search under his name and look at what he's been working on. It'll boggle your mind.

I know I'm comparing two members out of 73,181, but who would you deam the more helpful poster. The one that posts the most or the one that post less. It seems obvious to me. All I'm trying to say is don't judge someone on their post count, it makes no sense.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
All I'm trying to say is don't judge someone on their post count, it makes no sense.
That's why I said:

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It all depends on what the posts are about.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Sorry to have caused such an up roar, that was not my intention. I was merely trying to make a suggestion, to maybe tone it down, not to have the site be cuss free. I can relate to the "family" of the site as I have the same feelings to some of the other truck sites I've been a member to for several years. Not that it matters here but I actually won an award for most valuable member for 2005.
I'm "reborn" if you will, to the world of "fast cars" (not wanting to stir up the "muscle" or "sport" car debate again). I came here to learn and some day contribute back. Unfortunatly at this point I don't know enough about these cars to do so, but I will.
If I offended you with my comments, I appologize. I agree my comments where a bit over the top but that's how I felt after reading many of the threads I did. I shouldn't group the entire membership together based on a few "bad apples", as I hope you won't with me based on what seems to be the thread I started to get the most attention.
Based on the replies I see others saw my point, others maybe not.
Again, this was an observation and a suggestion, nothing more.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why would you walk into someone else's house, and immediately start telling them how to conduct themselves IN THEIR OWN HOME? That's basically what you did here. You're a new member, with little to no contribution WHAT SO EVER, yet you felt the need to express your opinions on how this site is run. To the folks in this thread, you didn't come here to learn, you came here to whine and bitch that some people say "****" ..

To go on a rant, I'm sick and tired of people with this attitude - they think their way is the right way, and anything else is substandard or flawed. Obviously we're doing SOMETHING right, because we have been flexible over the years and the site has changed IN RESPONSE TO ITS MEMBERS. This isn't a site molded by the owners in their vision nearly as much as its a COMMUNITY of incredibly wonderful people who SHARE THEIR AUTOMOTIVE KNOWLEDGE. Oh, they sometimes say ****, ****, damn, ***, etc. and that's perfectly acceptable in this house. If common slang offends you, I can't imagine what else wads up your panties.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think the OP was nearly as offended by people swearing as you are by his suggestion.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Teching In

First off, I didn't TELL anyone how to run a site, I merely made a SUGGESTION. Seeing how this section is for SUGGESTIONS. How can you tell what my attitude is from READING? The two posts I've made in this thread show no signs of ATTITUDE what so ever and up to this point I've been calm and tried to "stay in my place" as a newbie. So based on the comments in this thread since I have a low post count and little time here as a registered member I can't make a suggestion? I merely suggested maybe turning it down a notch or two rather than have it appear, to a new member and any other possible new members, as a free for all with no common courtesy to others. Based on the replies thus far, any member with less than a certain post count or membership time being less than a year? six months? should have no say or opinion or suggestion?
I know they are just words and they are used in all different locations. But lets try this... while sitting and having dinner with your family; mother, father, grandparents, etc. use those same words in your normal dinner conversation. For those of you who may say you don't eat dinner with them on a daily basis, then do it at the next family hoilday dinner. On your next job interview or annual review at your current job, use them there too. They're only words, right? Should be no big deal.

I can clearly see that even when I tried to clear my position some still don't understand I only made a suggestion. While others some what agree with this suggestion, it seems to be falling on deaf ears. I didn't expect this to go over well but figured I'd say something anyway. There where several posts that clearly made a valid point(s) without having to use said words while others seem to just try and stir the pot a little more. To those that replied in a civil manner, thank you for your replies and input in regards to my thread. To those that felt the need to just post various swears for the hell of it, I hope you got your kicks from it.
Again, I'm not asking to remove all foul language, I just don't see the need nor reason to use it all the time just for the sake of saying it, or in this case typeing it.

If making a suggestion is a no-no, then why have this thread area? You can all continue to bash me/ this post all you want and assume my attitude to be what you want. I still stand by what I said that I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do or not do, but to point out what I, a new member, have seen. I figured to keep anything alive and going strong, any input, good or bad, are the stepping stones to a great success. Take this how ever you may, it's not a direct order or snide comment to anyone.
I'm sure I could learn a ton of information from this site and it's members and who knows, maybe someday I may have some insight to a problem someone else has. But based on the majority of replies here it would tend to turn away anyone trying to say something, or maybe that's just my poor attitude again.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

If the use of language is any indication, in the automotive world the ones who speak the "worst" tend to have the most (accurate/useful/sought after) knowledge. Those who are grammitcally and politically correct tend to be the type who are forced to pay someone for anything more involved than filling the gas tank. Maybe you come from a different background, where the image of power or success is just that -- an image. Here, things are a bit more simple -- the power comes from making power, and the success comes from actually succeeding in your task. I don't see how including "off-color" language affects either of those, in any way.

To touch on your use of "vulgar" language in certain situations, I've noted how MANY people who I consider quite successful (both financially and otherwise) often include these words in their daily lives. MANY families, in all walks of life, use such language as well. There's obviously instances where it is and is not appropriate, and everyone feels that out. On this website, its obviously accepted and part of the culture. If it offends you, all I can say is too bad.

You can make suggestions all you wish, you just have to be ready for the responses -- good and bad. If you want everyone to respond with limp-wristed politically correct comments, you might not belong in the enthusiast type of community -- maybe something a bit more snooty, like a Rolls Royce forum would be more to your liking.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AVALANCHE&TA
First off, I didn't TELL anyone how to run a site, I merely made a SUGGESTION. Seeing how this section is for SUGGESTIONS. How can you tell what my attitude is from READING? The two posts I've made in this thread show no signs of ATTITUDE what so ever and up to this point I've been calm and tried to "stay in my place" as a newbie. So based on the comments in this thread since I have a low post count and little time here as a registered member I can't make a suggestion? I merely suggested maybe turning it down a notch or two rather than have it appear, to a new member and any other possible new members, as a free for all with no common courtesy to others. Based on the replies thus far, any member with less than a certain post count or membership time being less than a year? six months? should have no say or opinion or suggestion?
I know they are just words and they are used in all different locations. But lets try this... while sitting and having dinner with your family; mother, father, grandparents, etc. use those same words in your normal dinner conversation. For those of you who may say you don't eat dinner with them on a daily basis, then do it at the next family hoilday dinner. On your next job interview or annual review at your current job, use them there too. They're only words, right? Should be no big deal.

I can clearly see that even when I tried to clear my position some still don't understand I only made a suggestion. While others some what agree with this suggestion, it seems to be falling on deaf ears. I didn't expect this to go over well but figured I'd say something anyway. There where several posts that clearly made a valid point(s) without having to use said words while others seem to just try and stir the pot a little more. To those that replied in a civil manner, thank you for your replies and input in regards to my thread. To those that felt the need to just post various swears for the hell of it, I hope you got your kicks from it.
Again, I'm not asking to remove all foul language, I just don't see the need nor reason to use it all the time just for the sake of saying it, or in this case typeing it.

If making a suggestion is a no-no, then why have this thread area? You can all continue to bash me/ this post all you want and assume my attitude to be what you want. I still stand by what I said that I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do or not do, but to point out what I, a new member, have seen. I figured to keep anything alive and going strong, any input, good or bad, are the stepping stones to a great success. Take this how ever you may, it's not a direct order or snide comment to anyone.
I'm sure I could learn a ton of information from this site and it's members and who knows, maybe someday I may have some insight to a problem someone else has. But based on the majority of replies here it would tend to turn away anyone trying to say something, or maybe that's just my poor attitude again.
use the same rules as texting and im, all caps expresses anger
$.02
Old 09-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Well, I've thought about this post for a few days and want to now appologize. The last thing I've ever wanted to do was become one of those "politically correct" asses. So it's my feelings certain expressions or "words" may seem over the top or what have you, big deal. I read these posts on my own, to myself. Not to an open public using a microphone and amp. Part of what makes this country great is freedom of speech, not censorship. One of the truck sites I joined was for just that, no censorship. It's a good thing this site allows one to post what ever they want and express it in any way they feel. To those I offended with my snide remarks, sorry. Unfortunalty I can't make another first impression but what I can do is try and contribute as best I can and not worry about what others are doing or saying unless it physically involves me.

Now please excuse me while I start a new thread on why I have 63,xxx PM's.
Just kidding Brains, pull your panties back down to a comfortable location.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its 65,535 PM's, get it right
Old 09-21-2006, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll reply and keep this simple before locking down this thread.

We have never censored our members here. Our policy is to treat our members like adults, and allow them to act like adults. If they step out of line, we are quick to zap them. Profanity is a daily and normal thing to most people. We have no plans on censoring profanity here, but we also won't encourage it to be used. Use and/or read it at your own discretion. Sometimes, no other word accurately describes a situation like the good ol' f-bomb

Quick Reply: Suggestions to all...