User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Where did LS1Tech come from?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1tech is the number one tech site period. Even the vette guys come over here if they want some real knowledge, eventhough, the vetteforum is great also. We get Mustang, GTO, Vettes, Trucks, old skool and you name it, coming to the nitrous section because it's the best. I haven't been to ls1.com for years, and no need to. Seldom go to ls2.com cause they have nothing really going concerning tech, imo. Long live LS1tech, maybe we should rename it, LSxtech.com?
Robert
Old 12-19-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1tech is the only forum i have been on for a couple years now
ls1.com blew....
Old 12-19-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I remember reading all about "Raughammers" Z28 (spelling?) He had a web page and everything. I have seen him on here in years now. I still come here even though I dont have a Camaro anymore, but I'll have another in a year or so.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty cool startup story for sure. I didn't even have my car in 01, I think I was 16 back then. Lol. Guess if I was around since then I'd have 9,000 posts too!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trust
Pretty cool startup story for sure. I didn't even have my car in 01, I think I was 16 back then. Lol. Guess if I was around since then I'd have 9,000 posts too!
that would put me as a junior in h/s
if i wouldda had this car back then
Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet site
Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
Long live LS1tech, maybe we should rename it, LSxtech.com?
Robert
Funny you mention that, click this link: www.LSXtech.com

Old 12-21-2006, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I must say that this place rocks. I have been able to learn so much. I have also noticed that when I try to look on other places, Im just not satisfied. As a whole, this has got to be THE BEST site on the web. I can actually ask a dumb question and I normally get the answer I was looking for as well ask someone else saying that they wondered the same thing. Keep it up guys. LAter
Old 12-23-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
GOD I hope they find ways to keep this site running even after the gen III series is ancient history.
of course it will.

even as newer cars are introduced, new forums are created. so the tech base that is here, will migrate to the other forums if they aquire a new vehicle. I mean, look at the top of the screen, we have LS1Tech, Perf Trucks, HT Mustang, Modern Hemi....etc.

even if tomorrow they stopped producing every LSx motor...this site would still be full of people who have them....just like old stang forums, or old hemi forums...
Old 12-23-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

that’s pretty cool, i never knew that.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

Right on! I just joined a jeep forum and no offense to them, but this site is 100 times better! That place is a jumbled mess, no search, can't cuss or I think u'll get banned, and they require a non hotmail/gmail type email address. I'm very thankful for this site!
Old 12-23-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great site for info .....I should post more often being I"ve been a member since the begining
Old 12-23-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, Most of our car's would look like crap or almost stock if it wasn't for the guidence of this awesome site!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Best site on the web, period. I found LT1tech.com first, and soon realized that this site was ten times better, even though it's not even dedicated to the LTX cars. (although a little more genII love wouldn't hurt )
Old 12-23-2006, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

Without this site my car would have an even greater number of mismatched parts on it. It probably would not even be running right now. Local shops to me(no sponsors exist) do not even know what I am talking about and think I am crazy when I tell them that the Gen I stuff will not work on my motor. Without this site, I would have to rely on local machine shops to do something right...not very likely.

It is great how everyone helps each other out. From the simplest concepts and problems to the most complicated vehicle mishap diagnosis, I know I have learned a huge amount. It does not even compare to other forums...they all seem to be more about chatting than helping each other or learning. I know the G6 forum I visit periodically is damn near a waste, even with checking it every two weeks or so. I am on here daily for hours though.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I stumbled onto www.ls1.com sometime in 1998, and was one of the first 500 members I think. I don't really remember, but folks like Nine Ball, Patman, Warbird, noone, Raughhammer, David Tittermany, GTS SS, Terry Burger, Patrick G, Larry, Redhawk, JAS BLK TA, georgec, ralphg, and many others were already there or just joining. We went from just enjoying how the a stock LS1 would walk away from an LT1, to following the Porting MAF's convos that were going on. The winter between 98 and 99 there was a big surge of bolt-on activity by us all though nobody could touch Gordon Sevin (GTS SS). He was literally doing 2-3 things a week, it was awesome.

From 1999 to 2000 we raced, broke stuff, shi^^talked, ran new records, and generally had fun in spite of the site having major performance issues. But by 2000 the site lag and timeouts were so bad that many of the oldtimers no longer posted. Since I had had experience starting up www.mfba.org., I asked Nine Ball and Colonel to start a new site since I already had a hosting service I was using and I was already conversant with the UBB Classic software. Nine Ball was one of the biggest LS1 guys around, and also shared my frustration with the site performance. At the time he was openly arguing with Bradley about www.ls1.com, and I was trying to get Bradley to figure out how to address site performance. After about six months of not making any progress, I threw in the towel. Now maybe only the oldest of oldtimers would recall this, but at the very beginning, the national rivalries were so strong that I really would not have described a number of folks as being friends. It wasn't until the GMHPT shootout in 2000 that a number of us met and realized that we could be competive and more friendly. In fact, in the very beginning of our site's history, Nine Ball and I were somewhat friendly but not huge buddies or anything. We were united by the need to keep our community together which was falling apart.

Once we agreed to get something going, I resigned my moderator role at www.ls1.com and Nine Ball and I worked on the site for over a month before going live. Most of the first 20 members are guys I knew locally, I told one what was coming and then word spread.

Before we went live, we emailed and called all of the oldtimers we could think of, and told them about the site. Much to our excitment, many registered and became active once more. Some of those old timers have since become shop owners like Mikey Kleman, Trevor and Jason at TSP, and several others.

The main reasons this site has flourished is that we have the best moderators on the web when it comes to Gen III performance. Most of the major achievements with LSx stuff came about due to competition but also helpfulness of our core group. We've since grown from the first thousand members to over 80,000 members, but we still have 'tech' as our most basic core value. Coupled with our responsiveness to add resources, whether it be more servers, new software, or anything else, the net result is a site that works extremely well. We went from sitting on a server that was hosting like five sites back in 2001 to now being on five servers of our own. We are highly fortunate to have a 'waresmith like Brian (brains) as our systems administrator, he is also a fellow enthusiast and desires the same level functionality as everyone else.

I wanted to thank all the folks over the years who have become part of the site, and who have become great friends.

Let's all have a fast and fun 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Ryan
Old 01-06-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunder550
Where did LS1Tech come from?
Well, when a mommy web site and a daddy web site love each other very much....

You know the rest!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

It really is a great site.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely love LS1tech. I was a frequent on SRTforums when I had my SRT-4 and always heard about LS1tech. It sounded like the USA and I was in Honduras or something. I loved that site, helped me w/ many things, but when I stepped up to an LSx vehicle, I knew where I needed to go. Not only have I learned tons about the LSx motors, I've also learned general automotive knowledge as well as meeting a great group of people and vendors. If it weren't for this site, I wouldn't even have my car (I bought it on here from a moderator! Brandon Boomhauer if you're wondering. Outstanding guy!).
Old 01-19-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I stumbled onto www.ls1.com sometime in 1998, and was one of the first 500 members I think. I don't really remember, but folks like Nine Ball, Patman, Warbird, noone, Raughhammer, David Tittermany, GTS SS, Terry Burger, Patrick G, Larry, Redhawk, JAS BLK TA, georgec, ralphg, and many others were already there or just joining. We went from just enjoying how the a stock LS1 would walk away from an LT1, to following the Porting MAF's convos that were going on. The winter between 98 and 99 there was a big surge of bolt-on activity by us all though nobody could touch Gordon Sevin (GTS SS). He was literally doing 2-3 things a week, it was awesome.

From 1999 to 2000 we raced, broke stuff, shi^^talked, ran new records, and generally had fun in spite of the site having major performance issues. But by 2000 the site lag and timeouts were so bad that many of the oldtimers no longer posted. Since I had had experience starting up www.mfba.org., I asked Nine Ball and Colonel to start a new site since I already had a hosting service I was using and I was already conversant with the UBB Classic software. Nine Ball was one of the biggest LS1 guys around, and also shared my frustration with the site performance. At the time he was openly arguing with Bradley about www.ls1.com, and I was trying to get Bradley to figure out how to address site performance. After about six months of not making any progress, I threw in the towel. Now maybe only the oldest of oldtimers would recall this, but at the very beginning, the national rivalries were so strong that I really would not have described a number of folks as being friends. It wasn't until the GMHPT shootout in 2000 that a number of us met and realized that we could be competive and more friendly. In fact, in the very beginning of our site's history, Nine Ball and I were somewhat friendly but not huge buddies or anything. We were united by the need to keep our community together which was falling apart.

Once we agreed to get something going, I resigned my moderator role at www.ls1.com and Nine Ball and I worked on the site for over a month before going live. Most of the first 20 members are guys I knew locally, I told one what was coming and then word spread.

Before we went live, we emailed and called all of the oldtimers we could think of, and told them about the site. Much to our excitment, many registered and became active once more. Some of those old timers have since become shop owners like Mikey Kleman, Trevor and Jason at TSP, and several others.

The main reasons this site has flourished is that we have the best moderators on the web when it comes to Gen III performance. Most of the major achievements with LSx stuff came about due to competition but also helpfulness of our core group. We've since grown from the first thousand members to over 80,000 members, but we still have 'tech' as our most basic core value. Coupled with our responsiveness to add resources, whether it be more servers, new software, or anything else, the net result is a site that works extremely well. We went from sitting on a server that was hosting like five sites back in 2001 to now being on five servers of our own. We are highly fortunate to have a 'waresmith like Brian (brains) as our systems administrator, he is also a fellow enthusiast and desires the same level functionality as everyone else.

I wanted to thank all the folks over the years who have become part of the site, and who have become great friends.

Let's all have a fast and fun 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Ryan
that should be a sticky, in the "newb welcome to ls1tech forum"

i thought ls1tech was "assembled at OCS from spare parts and left over veterans".....but i could be confusing that with a war movie

Quick Reply: Where did LS1Tech come from?