User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

VBulletin Upgrade Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VBulletin Upgrade Suggestions

I'm new here, but have been around forums for quite a while. I'm a regular over at LS1GTO.com and there is a big usability difference in how some other forums implement VBulletin.

This plugin or enhancement allows for instant posting and editing. The quick post box at the bottom immediately drops your post into the thread without refreshing the page. When you edit a post, it drops an edit box onto your post in the existing thread, without loading a new page. The great thing about these changes is not loading a new page - reduces the latency for editing & posting for individual users.

I'm sure the powers that be are aware of this and have considered it. If I had to guess, it's not implemented here because it would generate a noticeable increase in server load due to processing these features, given the huge user base. Regardless, just wanted to put it out there for discussion & suggestion, as it is a common feature I love on many other forums.

If you want to see it in action, register over at LS1GTO and see what I mean.

Thanks for listening
Old 08-29-2007, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

We will be updating to the newest release of VB soon. Just migrated to the new cluster of servers a couple weeks ago. We have the newer version already working over at our other site, www.SeatStaysUp.com
Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Great to hear, I wasn't sure if it was a VB feature or an add-on. Thanks for chiming in!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ecetim
Great to hear, I wasn't sure if it was a VB feature or an add-on. Thanks for chiming in!

The feature you are talking about is actually achieved by using AJAX. It's integrated into the newest version of vBulletin. If you go over and register on SeatStaysUp, it's used there as well, as Nine Ball mentioned.

Quick Reply: VBulletin Upgrade Suggestions