User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Is a there a way to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is a there a way to?

Is there a way to make it so nobody can post before they read ALL the stickies in the forum they want to post in? If there is and it wouldn't be too much trouble, it would cut down on a lot of irritation especially for Cyphur in the For Sale forums. Maybe then everybody would quit whining about their post count not going up. Just a thought after seeing everybody ask why their posts aren't going up. Maybe it would help you guys out. If it's not feasable, no harm done.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm with ya -- if I get some time, I might code up a vb plugin to do just that
Old 01-16-2008, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would it just be for new people or everyone on the site?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by streetassasin
would it just be for new people or everyone on the site?
I don't wanna have to re-read all that stuff...especially the obvious ones again...
Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even if you do that its not like people will read it. 90% of people will probably just click the sticky and call it a day and go back without even reading what it has to say.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the system we have now, the infraction system, is working really well. Maybe extending that, to enable mods to further restrict member's privileges around the site, is the better approach.

It's more effective to punish those who obviously didn't read the stickies/don't care to abide by them, than trying to find an equitable way to enforce the need to read them.

As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by cyphur
I think the system we have now, the infraction system, is working really well. Maybe extending that, to enable mods to further restrict member's privileges around the site, is the better approach.

It's more effective to punish those who obviously didn't read the stickies/don't care to abide by them, than trying to find an equitable way to enforce the need to read them.

As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Mods have enough power...
Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol mod hater

i would like it to have it where newbs cant be posting for a certain time frame, but then that would interfere with the 50 post count for sales. but it's an idea
Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
I agree, anymore and we will all be banned.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If they say they read the stickies, then broke them the penalties could be much more severe.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
I find that amusing that you posted that, without so much as considering my proposition. I already have the power to ban, so how I could be asking for more, is beyond me. I am asking for the power to do LESS, if the situaiton permits.

If someone continually ignores the rules set forth in a certain section, for example, the classifieds, I say we should be able to remove their ability to post in THAT SECTION. It's less than banning, and would remove the problem. If they choose to keep ignoring rules - then take further action.

If you honestly think a mod is abusing their power - report them. We don't appreciate it when one mod makes the rest of us look bad and try to police ourselves. With that said, I think this board has a pretty good group of folks on the Staff that are quite mature and accomplish their tasks professionally.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if new people had to go through all the stickies and read em before they posted...that would deter a ton of people to even join imo...it is kinda amusing to read what some people put in the threads of a newb that asks about info that is in a sticky though...even though the mods probably get tired of it...cyphurs idea of being able to restrict someone from a certain section for a certain amount of time for repeat offences seems more sensible...
Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crazboy99
if new people had to go through all the stickies and read em before they posted...that would deter a ton of people to even join imo...
Hear hear!!

...it is kinda amusing to read what some people put in the threads of a newb that asks about info that is in a sticky though...
Hear hear!!

...even though the mods probably get tired of it...cyphurs idea of being able to restrict someone from a certain section for a certain amount of time for repeat offences seems more sensible...
For the record, I think that is pretty sensible, banning from a certain section for a select period of time. The more frequent the rule-breaking, the more time banned.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by reject
lol mod hater

i would like it to have it where newbs cant be posting for a certain time frame, but then that would interfere with the 50 post count for sales. but it's an idea

i like that idea
Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bamalt1
Is there a way to make it so nobody can post before they read ALL the stickies in the forum they want to post in? ..... Maybe it would help you guys out. If it's not feasable, no harm done.
LoooooooooooooooooL very smart dude we have here
It will definitelly help the site

Probably google or yahoo bots will be the only ones to get close to a site with those crappy rules!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by cyphur
I find that amusing that you posted that, without so much as considering my proposition. I already have the power to ban, so how I could be asking for more, is beyond me. I am asking for the power to do LESS, if the situaiton permits.

If someone continually ignores the rules set forth in a certain section, for example, the classifieds, I say we should be able to remove their ability to post in THAT SECTION. It's less than banning, and would remove the problem. If they choose to keep ignoring rules - then take further action.

If you honestly think a mod is abusing their power - report them. We don't appreciate it when one mod makes the rest of us look bad and try to police ourselves. With that said, I think this board has a pretty good group of folks on the Staff that are quite mature and accomplish their tasks professionally.
My reaction to your first post was "well your not gonna hit the horse for not drinking are you!?," but in this new post I see you actually explained your idea with an example. Which leads me to agree with your second paragraph completely...
Old 01-17-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

cypher is probably the biggest **** mod but he tells you like it is, that's why i like him as a mod (not in a gay way though)
Old 01-17-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by reject
cypher is probably the biggest **** mod...i like him...(not in a gay way though)
You sure it's not in a gay way?? just kidding! just kidding!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

book 'em cyphur
Old 01-17-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalt1
Is there a way to make it so nobody can post before they read ALL the stickies in the forum they want to post in? If there is and it wouldn't be too much trouble, it would cut down on a lot of irritation especially for Cyphur in the For Sale forums. Maybe then everybody would quit whining about their post count not going up. Just a thought after seeing everybody ask why their posts aren't going up. Maybe it would help you guys out. If it's not feasable, no harm done.
my .02......you cant actually MAKE anyone do anything.