User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

I can't see LS1 Tech on Firefox

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't see LS1 Tech on Firefox

Ever since the forum changed a month or so ago, I can't view it at all.

Basically, I go to LS1tech.com, and get there as usual, except I can't see any of the sections/subforums. It's like there are none there. All I see is LS1TECH in bold, then the User CP, FAQ, Member's List, etc bar. Then below that is the time, and that's the end of the page.

And if I click a link to a direct thread, the same thing happens. There's basically no way for me to view the forums.

Now I'm on FireFox, and have the typical add-ons working, including Adblock Plus. When I disable Adblock, I can view the forum normally and just fine (Like I am now). But it is a real pain in the a$$ to enable and disable Adblock all day just to view LS1Tech. Now I know there are many others using FF+Adblock and viewing LS1Tech just fine, so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Im using fire fox right now.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Are you using Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Yea im using firefox and its working for me. Maybe reinstall if everything else fails
Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Banned

Firefox isn't the issue, it's Adblock, the add-on. Are you using that?

I've reinstalled firefox and adblock, neither time fixed it.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've never seen that, but I don't use adblock junk. But I do use Firefox pretty much exclusively (I'm a Linux user)
Old 02-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I used Firefox on my Mac with no trouble, gotta be the adblock.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Launching!

You should be able to whitelist the whole site in AdBlock prefs.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya, there has to be an exceptions list or something for the adblock program. Just add Tech to it.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

I tried that, but a lot of the page setup and adds web address does not start with LS1Tech. Once I did that, a lot of the page showed up, but it still wasn't usable.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have the same problem on my home PC. It happened when the new ad system was added to LS1Tech (remember the Google fiasco).

I use Firefox with AdBlock Plus on both my home PC and work laptop.

LS1Tech was on my whitelist, but it still won't load properly on my home PC if AdBlock Plus is active.

My work laptop is fine though. I removed LS1Tech from the whitelist and it still works on my work laptop.

This is the only forum on which I have this problem.

The only thing I can think of is that the page's body is now contained in the "IB_Ads" table (in the HTML), but that shouldn't matter if the site is on the whitelist. In the AdBlock Plus API there was a parameter identifying it to sites that the browser visits. So a site designer can make a site not render if AdBlock Plus was active. I remember reading about it, but I don't remember if all versions of AdBlock plus have that visibility. I'd rather AdBlock Plus be stealthy. Then again, there are some sites that the site designer use browser-detect and won't load on FireFox at all.

EDIT: I just found out the issue. Looks like AdBlock Plus may still be blocking page elements with "_ads" in their name even when the site is on the whitelist. Since the body of the page is contained in the "IB_Ads" table, it gets hidden. If I disable that filter, the site now works, even if LS1Tech is not on the whitelist. The filter is part of the "Filter von Dr.Evil (Deutschland)" subscribed filter list. It doesn't appear possible to disable/remove only that one filter. It seems that the whole subscribed "Filter von Dr.Evil (Deutschland)" list gets disabled. The other lists still stay enabled though.

Hey Brains. can you rename that table? Or (and I realize this is more work -- I am a coder) reorganize the page code so the thread body isn't in the ads table?

Last edited by VIP1; 02-17-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll forward this to the web guy and have him handle it
Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

Thanks!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use firefox, 0 issues EXCEPT this annoying white flash every so often during a page load on here.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Banned

We've well established that it isn't Firefox, it's Adblock Plus causing these issues. We just need to figure out what can be done about that. (By we, I mean someone who knows more than I do...)
Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, let's fix this annoying page flash then!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

hey guys any luck with this issue I'm using adblock plus with firefox and can't see any of the forums either.

**Edit for the time being we can just completely disable adblock when visiting tech and enable it once we leave the site. i mean disable it completely not only for the website. it's easy all you have to do is right click on the ABP status bar on the bottom of your browser and uncheck the enable adblock plus option. reload the page and your good to go. do the same thing to enable it once you leave. takes 2 seconds.

Last edited by C_Rules; 02-23-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by C_Rules
hey guys any luck with this issue I'm using adblock plus with firefox and can't see any of the forums either.

**Edit for the time being we can just completely disable adblock when visiting tech and enable it once we leave the site. i mean disable it completely not only for the website. it's easy all you have to do is right click on the ABP status bar on the bottom of your browser and uncheck the enable adblock plus option. reload the page and your good to go. do the same thing to enable it once you leave. takes 2 seconds.
You don't have to disable all of AdBlock.

Originally Posted by VIP1
Looks like AdBlock Plus may still be blocking page elements with "_ads" in their name even when the site is on the whitelist. Since the body of the page is contained in the "IB_Ads" table, it gets hidden. If I disable that filter, the site now works, even if LS1Tech is not on the whitelist. The filter is part of the "Filter von Dr.Evil (Deutschland)" subscribed filter list. It doesn't appear possible to disable/remove only that one filter. It seems that the whole subscribed "Filter von Dr.Evil (Deutschland)" list gets disabled. The other lists still stay enabled though.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

you're right. when you said it looks like you have to delete the whole von Dr.Evil (Deutschland) filter list I was a little worried that I'd be more open to pop ups from other places. I was looking at the filters under that list and some of them have thousands of hits. if deleting that filter will only delete for ls1tech but leave it on for all other sites i would do it in a second. do you know if that is the case?

Quick Reply: I can't see LS1 Tech on Firefox