User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

ATTN MODS (and users): New tool to help teach users about stickies

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
When it comes to the new tech section, most threads are redundant in some way or other, and whether or not we let one live usually depends more on *how* a question is asked, rather than *what* question is asked.

Granted, all that info can still be easily covered by a search, but considering some actual thought went into the post, and clearly they've done a bit of research, I'd let that live in the New Tech section.
Agreeing 100% with RPM WussyS6's direction here. Some people just have no respect at all and ask without thinking, polluting our forums with junk questions; others realize that their questions aren't groundbreaking, but they still need some answers and opionions.

Also, using RPM's example, do you notice how a "which lid is best" thread might get 10 times more answers than a much better question? Not to hijack, just a side note worth considering in this issue.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What keeps these people from just signing right back up? Is this truly a penalty?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Again, an infraction is not a ban or suspension, as stated. It's not meant to be a punishment or "penalty." It's meant to make people think before they post junk.

Otherwise, there are methods (such as IP logging) that sites uses to keep people from simply signing up under a different username. As far as I know, there is no site policy against signing up under another username unless it is for malicious reasons, such as bypassing a ban, spam, or creating "zombies" (for example, to make it look like you have other people which share your opinion in an argument or some such nonsense). Instead of making username changes, I've seen people be told to sign up again and stop using the old name.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im just throwing this out there but sometimes its damn hard to search for an answer you are looking for. As often times people dont use the same wording you would or in many cases (atleast mine when i just started with this hobby) people dont know jack about cars and really need to ask very simple questions just to get by... how do you search a topic you know none of the terminology for.

I think trying to cut down on the bullshit posts is great but maybe another method of stopping it is better. I really think all you are going to end up doing is scaring away users that are new to the hobby. Just my 2 cents, so take it for what its worth.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fantastic idea and great "learning tool".
Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

00transamnh -- that's why I don't foresee this as a "punishment" as much as a "gentle push in the right direction." Each infraction can include a message, which I'd hope the staff uses to help guide folks. You can explain what the infraction is for, in addition to the "title" of it. If you got a couple, nothing happens to your account -- they just sit there for 10 days to remind you, and then go away. If you have better ideas, I'm all for hearing them as well -- it is exactly why I opened this discussion to the whole community rather than just implementing it behind the scenes.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just as long as the Mods are more helpful than reprimanding it will work excellent.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I think after the 1st infraction is given, they earn a pop-up window whenever the new post button is clicked.

"Did you try searching first or read the sticky threads in this forum?"

Yes or No

After about 20 posts, the pop-up can go away again.
that sounds like it would work...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont forget that if no one every posted asking the same question. We will be left with only knowing something of the past.

Now some questions wont ever have a new option for an answer. example- what head came on xx year car?

while some questions that may seem repetative such as, which nitrous dry system is the best? I have seen questions like this get made fun and locked. While if we are stuck reading old stickes, they would never know of the new NX dry kit coming out unless they asked.

You never know when some random person might join and be able to answer a everyday question with such an answer that no one ever thought of.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one thing that bothers me WAY more than when people post redundant threads is when people get sticky/search happy and all of the sudden anything that may be found in a search or sticky gets responded to in the following (or similar) manner:

----------------------------

:s earch::sea rch:nono::thinke r:

----------------------------

I personally think people who do this should get banned for a week or more.

You have to keep in mind that this is a hobbyist/tech forum and there are TWO reasons people join, not one:

1) To find information

2) To BS about modifications, share stories, speculate about races and power, and just plain talk cars with other people who share the same automotive interest. Most people don't care if they can find the information through a search or sticky because they just like talking with other people and hearing opinions. It's like when you go to a car show or meet up with friends and stand around talking about nothing in particular (meaning cars) for a few hours.

If people came on the site strictly to access technical information, most would just buy a manual, a Haynes, and a few modding books and be done with it, and just call manufacturers directly (which, of course, is what SOME people should be doing).

I know I personally have some "redundant" threads I've started on here; I would imagine almost everyone does. But most of them weren't started because I actually thought I was going to get the factual truth about which product was "the best"; I started them because I felt like talking about it. With other people who shared an interest and had stories and experiences of their own; not to mention, I wanted CURRENT information and experiences, not some stories I found in a thread from November 21, 2003.

Now, all that said, if you do implement this system, which I am actually in full support of assuming mods will use it how I personally think they should, which is as a reminder rather than a punishment (as Brains said), you will just need to make sure you implement it in a fashion that doesn't cause people to get scared off or afraid to start a new post.

This tool should be a friendly reminder that the stickies and search function are there if your ultimate goal is to just get information, but it shouldn't deter members from enjoying conversation will fellow enthusiasts.

Joe

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 02-21-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

^Cliffs Notes version please.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Good idea. Sounds better than a registration where you can't get on unless you have read the stickies.

Only downside are those that can't help but try to argue with the moderator that left the infraction.
That part will never go away...
Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

I think its great When I see those threads I let them know the info could be found with a simple search or in a sticky BUT still provide the info to them

On a side not, what wheels do you think would look good on my car?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like a good idea to me. An idea for the last warning would be to take away the New Thread feature for a few days. Or make them click ok on several popups asking questions like Nine Ball posted lol.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

In my opinion.....

It should only be when a user uses the NEW THREAD button, not necessarily on a "quick reply" like I'm doing now.

What I have noticed is NEW threads being started as the problem, not necessairly posts that were put inside of a thread. In some forums, threads are sometimes "conversations" where info is just going back and forth. Just because the same info is on a sticky, doesn't mean it wasn't relavent inside a particular thread.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:47 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

So when can we start dishing out infractions and bans? *warming up ban hammer lol

I think this idea is awsome, the infraction system has helped with some of the sig problems. So I'm sure this will help as well. And to the cry babies, if a new "lid" or other mod comes out cool, post it. If search is down, post it in your thread saying I tried to search but its down, or I didn't find my answer in the search.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds good to me as well
Old 02-23-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAGER
I think this idea is awsome, the infraction system has helped with some of the sig problems.

Peace,
Craig.

hehe! i keep telling people but no one listens i need some sig mod power on tech!!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I think after the 1st infraction is given, they earn a pop-up window whenever the new post button is clicked.

"Did you try searching first or read the sticky threads in this forum?"

Yes or No

After about 20 posts, the pop-up can go away again.
I love this idea
Old 02-24-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like the idea. How would you let everyone know though when this goes into effect? Would you send a PM to everyone?

Quick Reply: ATTN MODS (and users): New tool to help teach users about stickies