User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

ATTN MODS (and users): New tool to help teach users about stickies

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brains, is there an infraction we can add for "NWS" sigs, posting pictures ect? Members are pretty good at letting others know if an avatar, pict or sig is NWS but some are boneheaded. (this includes dead things too). Would it just fall under a current infraction on the list?

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
I like the idea. How would you let everyone know though when this goes into effect? Would you send a PM to everyone?
It is in effect, the part where give infraction for sigs and such has changed in what type of infractions and points for each. Brians usually has everything in place first then tweaks it as needed. He is one hard working ****!

Originally Posted by CRAGER
So when can we start dishing out infractions and bans? *warming up ban hammer lol
Look up 5 posts above yours..keep looking to the lower right side of the post.

Originally Posted by reject
Originally Posted by CRAGER
I think this idea is awsome, the infraction system has helped with some of the sig problems.

Peace,
Craig.

hehe! i keep telling people but no one listens i need some sig mod power on tech!!
Cuz its your job to get the word out where you are a mod?
Mine doesn't cross over either but then again, we all know why that is
Old 02-24-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

This infraction is in place, mods can feel free to use it at will

I'll add the NWS infraction as well
Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Brains, is there an infraction we can add for "NWS" sigs, posting pictures ect? Members are pretty good at letting others know if an avatar, pict or sig is NWS but some are boneheaded. (this includes dead things too). Would it just fall under a current infraction on the list?
Originally Posted by Brains
This infraction is in place, mods can feel free to use it at will

I'll add the NWS infraction as well
Wow, I have a 6-month old avatar that I recently got an infraction for a few days ago. Looks like I got an infraction from GEARHED before that ability was even asked for and created by Brains.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

this whole thing is just funny. And this is comming from someone who almost exclusively uses search. I post a little bit but just lurk for the most part.

This is a discussion board people.. do you really think there is that much new stuff every day to keep this place interesting if everyone just used the search? I mean what are all the arm chair mechanics going to do with their time if they cant answer the most basic questions. I think about every topic or post created on here is most likely a duplicate and could be found in a search. But this place isnt just an archive where you can just come to read old information... Its a forum where peoples opinions and attitudes towards something are always changing. Sometimes its just nice to have the warm fuzy feeling telling you that 6 months ago someone ran x heads with y cam and made z horsepower and when you ask today its still a good combo to spend your hard earned cash on.
There are only so many head cam combos. There are only so many ways to have forced induction. If we dont want to talk about this stuff how long is it before this place just becomes an archive because nearly everything posted today has been asked in the past i can almost guarantee it...

i realize there are the newbs out there that post for the most basic information that is clearly listed in the stickies, but i think these posts are also quickly ignored and fall off the first page quickly, i know i dont click them, why do you? But sometimes someone will ask a frequently asked question and get ridiculed for it even if they did use the search but the information they found didnt exactly answer their question or didnt exactly fit their needs with their setup or mods. Not everything has a cookie cutter answer that can be answered in a stickie and were all here to help one another after all.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
This is a discussion board people...
It's a forum where peoples opinions and attitudes towards something are always changing...
If we dont want to talk about this stuff how long is it before this place just becomes an archive because nearly everything posted today has been asked in the past i can almost guarantee it...
But sometimes someone will ask a frequently asked question and get ridiculed for it even if they did use the search but the information they found didnt exactly answer their question or didnt exactly fit their needs with their setup or mods. Not everything has a cookie cutter answer that can be answered in a stickie and were all here to help one another after all.
This guy has some great points.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

the issues, and thus the infractions, are more for the posts which should be completely obvious:

1. "Why is my post count stuck?"
2. "Can I get a name change?"
3. Anything else found in the stickies in this and other forums
Old 03-03-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not everything has a cookie cutter answer that can be answered in a stickie and were all here to help one another after all.
Do you have any idea how many people have asked why their post count isn't rising in this forum? It's easily over one thousand.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Launching!

this whole thing is just funny. And this is comming from someone who almost exclusively uses search. I post a little bit but just lurk for the most part.

This is a discussion board people.. do you really think there is that much new stuff every day to keep this place interesting if everyone just used the search? I mean what are all the arm chair mechanics going to do with their time if they cant answer the most basic questions. I think about every topic or post created on here is most likely a duplicate and could be found in a search. But this place isnt just an archive where you can just come to read old information... Its a forum where peoples opinions and attitudes towards something are always changing. Sometimes its just nice to have the warm fuzy feeling telling you that 6 months ago someone ran x heads with y cam and made z horsepower and when you ask today its still a good combo to spend your hard earned cash on.
There are only so many head cam combos. There are only so many ways to have forced induction. If we dont want to talk about this stuff how long is it before this place just becomes an archive because nearly everything posted today has been asked in the past i can almost guarantee it...

i realize there are the newbs out there that post for the most basic information that is clearly listed in the stickies, but i think these posts are also quickly ignored and fall off the first page quickly, i know i dont click them, why do you? But sometimes someone will ask a frequently asked question and get ridiculed for it even if they did use the search but the information they found didnt exactly answer their question or didnt exactly fit their needs with their setup or mods. Not everything has a cookie cutter answer that can be answered in a stickie and were all here to help one another after all.

Of all the info this site has to offer....this has got to be the best post I have ever read here. Thank you got-a-ls1 for this.

This place has an interesting "how do I:go find the sticky" ratio going.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my opinion on the whole thing. Most forums have a nifty little hack that auto-sends a PM to any new user that signs up. As soon as you log in for the first time you have a PM that usually welcomes you to the forum.

Due to the size of this forum, it might be a good idea to get something like that rolling with sort of a 'mini-faq' inside of it that points to links for new users to read stuff and get familiar with all of the general stuff inside the forum. You can also put in there that if they choose not to view said links and read all of the newbie faqs that they will get an infraction which could lead to temp. ban.

This way you aren't blindsiding new sign ups and giving them a fair warning that if they choose not to read up and post useless questions, they will receive a infraction leading to a temp. ban.

That's teh route I would take at least.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think its a great idea brians.
We should just take away their ability to create new threads after so many infractions...5+
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Here's my opinion on the whole thing. Most forums have a nifty little hack that auto-sends a PM to any new user that signs up. As soon as you log in for the first time you have a PM that usually welcomes you to the forum.

Due to the size of this forum, it might be a good idea to get something like that rolling with sort of a 'mini-faq' inside of it that points to links for new users to read stuff and get familiar with all of the general stuff inside the forum. You can also put in there that if they choose not to view said links and read all of the newbie faqs that they will get an infraction which could lead to temp. ban.

This way you aren't blindsiding new sign ups and giving them a fair warning that if they choose not to read up and post useless questions, they will receive a infraction leading to a temp. ban.

That's teh route I would take at least.
That sounds like a good idea but you'd have to make reading the FAQ a requirement before they could post for it to have the desired effect. Most would likely ignore the PM but if they had to open it and read it before they could post it would be effective. JMO.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vendetta
Do you have any idea how many people have asked why their post count isn't rising in this forum? It's easily over one thousand.
i realize that. If it bothers everyone so much just ignore or lock the threads like that. its the nature of this beast called the internet. But that is one example of an obvious annoyance. There are tons of new threads made everyday where someone just says do search!!! without even trying to help the OP. Sometimes search or stickies just leave some details unanswered. Look around at some of the posts on this site. Someone will ask a question and have to defend themselves before anyone even responds. They have say things such as "yes i already tried a search!" I think people just need to relax a bit. If you dont want to help by giving them information they asked for then why do they feel the need to waste their time to tell them to use the search. Just ignore it!

Search and stickies are some of the best tools on this website, and like i said i use them A LOT.

I think the private message idea to new users would be a great idea. Another good idea would be for people with under 5-10 posts or something like that, is a little reminder that when they go to post a new thread. It would remind them to check the stickies in the forum for basic site and mod information. if they still need help after that then post the thread!

It would also be good if ALL stickies were accessible from one central location instead of being scattered about in the different forums. That way someone who doesnt look in all the forums will still be able to see all the information available.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 954mula
Of all the info this site has to offer....this has got to be the best post I have ever read here. Thank you got-a-ls1 for this.

This place has an interesting "how do I:go find the sticky" ratio going.
thanks man
Old 03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
That sounds like a good idea but you'd have to make reading the FAQ a requirement before they could post for it to have the desired effect. Most would likely ignore the PM but if they had to open it and read it before they could post it would be effective. JMO.
Well that's the whole thing. If the PM is not opened or read (ignored) then the infraction would stand clearly. New users that choose to ignore the contents of the PM and post anyways will have to suffer the consequences.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

What Joe said.

Isnt this site a Resource for info...

AND...

a place for casual discussion?

Who wants to frequent a site and then worry about whether they are being "redundant" with a question or thought?

Yeah, I only recently joined after I picked up my WS6 but I've been browsing as far back as '03.

There's a real simple, non-antagonizing way to deal with the redundancy. Just dont read/reply to that New Topic.

Personally, I dont care what ya'll wanna do here, as I just spend hours of old thread reading...without posting, but "Thread Police" are universally disliked by the majority of users.

Peace.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:58 AM

Not sure if it's possible, but make each of the forums so that you can not post untill you have clicked on (and hopefully read) each sticky on the individual forum.

And like posted above, this site has been here for so long, you can't help but re-ask the same questions.

On the flip side, the which lid is best, or how to tell if it's a real SS get old.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Brains, I feel very strongly both ways. Happens as you get older. With what you guys are charging sponsors, they really want as many people as possible flipping through the site. If the forum continues to provide a great resource AND entertainment, people will keep coming, and sponsors will be happy. However, if you start nit-picking new guys, you drive them away pretty quickly. This hurts you bottom line, and the overall industry.

If mods get heavy handed with people that are just tech savvy enough to be able to make a post (people like my 73yr old Dad), they will get pissed off, and give up on this "internet thing." While I understand your need to keep the database usage in check, the call for "use search" and "read the stickies," will drive some people away.

For starters, the search on this forum is not great. You get a lot of redundant returns, which people quickly dismiss. Some of this stickies on this forum have a LOT of pages. A guy will only spend so much time (usually less than 5 minutes) searching before he just asks. Another problem is that people will get scolded for bringing up old threads, but if that is where they found part of what they wanted to know, that is where they will post if they cannot start a new thread. I tend to frequent the Conversions/Hybrids section (usually 30-60 min daily), and try to answer questions if I know an answer, post drawings when I can, and point people in the right direction. Sometimes, I am the guy that is lost and needs help right now. Several key questions are always coming up on mounts, oil-pans, intake tracts, etc, and there isn't a good, up-to-date sticky covering the latest and greatest, and the needs of every conversion. These parts and ideas are changing weekly, and ongoing discussions do help. There are a lot of junk posts in that section, and they generally fall away pretty quickly.

As for the signature and avatar issues, there is a lot of friction there because so many older members have large signatures or avatars, and newer guys getting hit on them look around and get pissed when every one else has more than they do, but they got dinged. That is a common thread. I know you have a LOT of members, and few mods, and that it will take FOREVER to get every member in compliance with newer rules, but I am poiniting out why that comes up so often.

Overall, I think you guys are doing a pretty reasonable job with a very difficult task, I just don't want to see you loosing valuable members because of heavy handed infractions. Remember too that some of us are still pretty new to the Gen II, Gen IV platform, and things that seem so obvious to old hands are pretty confusing to newbs.

Oh, one last thing, sometimes the PM's don't show up, or are fairly delayed. Not sure if there is much you can do about that. And on a personal note, I am not very fond of the goofy advertising banner you have towards the top. The images never fit, and look very amateur because of it.

Just my 2 pennies...

Quick Reply: ATTN MODS (and users): New tool to help teach users about stickies