Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

95 Northstar V8 swapped Monte $3500

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 95 Northstar V8 swapped Monte $3500

Year: 1995
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Monte Carlo
Price: $4500
Mileage: 139000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): IN
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: Front Wheel Drive
LS Engine?: Car has other engine

Northstar V8 swapped 95 Monte Carlo

I have decided to move on. It was fun rebuilding the car but now it is time to let it go. Three cars is getting to be too much.

The details.....

Bought the car 9/27/08 with 136,424 miles and a blown motor and transmission. Drove 750 some miles each way to get this car. Basically the head gaskets were blown so badly that coolant was dumping into the oil drain back passages and past the pistons and into the oil thus eating away at the rod bearings.

I bought the car thinking it ran slightly hot, boy was I wrong. Two weeks later the motor was done for I spun 4 rod bearings so I parked it for the winter (about 4-5 months) until it was warmer out so I could start working on it.

After looking over the car I decided everything was garbage on it. The trans. and motor leaked severely the front brakes were gone bad tie rods bad ball joints everything was shot. So I decided to rebuild it all.

Here's basically the run down of what I did.

Motor-300hp Seville

What was done....

Had the block hot tanked and cleaned. Complete inspection was done on the block and the heads. Had the cylinder walls honed to get the dex-cool stains off. All the main caps and rods were checked for proper size and inspected.

Parts

Reman Crank
4 new rods
reused stock pistons, new stock rings
new rod bearings, and main bearings
New GM TTY bolts for mains and rods
New GM oil bed plate (This is what the oil passes through to the mains, and rods. If not replaced they leak internally and externally)
Heads were resurfaced, cams polished and worn lifters replaced
New valve seals installed
New timing components like tensioner's, intermediate sprocket gear (bearing was worn due to metal in oil)
New sealed power oil pump
New harmonic balancer
Two new o2 sensors, new GM knock sensor
A/C Bypass pulley
Idler pulley
Tensioner Pulley
New reman alternator
New serp belt and water pump belt

All gaskets were replaced

x2 throttle body gaskets
egr gasket
X2 Intake gasket
Back fire valve on intake was also replaced (seal was bad)
injector o-rings
valve cover gaskets
X2 exhaust mani. gasket
X2 head gasket
water pump seal
t-stat seal
new t-stat
water x-over gaskets
front and rear main seals
New seals on the oil filter plate and oil cooler lines
front cover gasket
cam seal for water pump shaft
No oil pan or half case seals were used just GM rtv. The lower end of these motors DO NOT SEAL WITH STOCK GASKETS. THe dealer wont even sell them they are a waste of time instead they sold me a tube of rtv. It has worked wonders. If you have ever changed oil at a quick lube for about a week you wil understand what the issue was with these motors they leak like you have never seen a motor leak.

As for the completely stripped head bolts I drilled and re-tapped all 20 of them for a larger coarser threaded head stud. The northstar is known for head gasket failures. The head bolts over time pull the threads from the brittle aluminum due to the casting process of the block. They are die casted blocks which I am told leaves lots of air in the aluminum. When you drill the blcok it turns to almost a dust.

The head stud kit was purchased from northstarperformance.com for I wanna say $550.

Transmission 4T80E

Complete over haul was done
Tear down and inspection of all hard parts was done.
New torque converter
New sensors
New shift solenoids
New TCC solenoid
Everything but input and output shafts and chains were replaced. Virtually a new transmission.
Work on trans. was done by a very reputable shop locally that builds lots of race car transmissions and industrial truck transmissions. So they know there sh*t.
Cv axels were inspected and new grease boots put on also

Suspension/brakes

New front and rear calipers
New stainless steel brake lines
All new hardware
Raybestos ceramic pads front and rear
Raybestos rotors front and rear
Disc brake conversion done on the rear also, car was originally drum.
Stock lateral links
BMR tubular poly urethane trailing arms
Poly sway bar links front and back
Powder coated rear knuckles and front sway bar
New control arm bushings
New outer tie rod ends MOOG
New ball joints MOOG

Interior

I have 90% of a black leather interior. Trim and all. No front seats was gonna keep the red buckets that came with the car.
New oem black carpet
Mint rear leather seat
black trim for around the door and rear window with the leather insert
black carpeted rear deck cover

Thing is none of it but the front seats is installed but all of it is included along with the hardware.

Car has no stereo I bought it like this but it does have very nice JL audio 6x9's and 5-1/4's up front they sound super clear.

The exterior of the car is the worst part the paint is peeling which is common for the mid 90's gm white. Over all there is no major rust underneath the car or on the body. No rusting rear quarters or rear shock towers here.

With 4,500 invested (kept all receipts) plus the price of the car of 2,500.

I'll start at 4500 OBO
New price of 3500

Give me a call if you'd like for anymore question's I know I forgot a ton of stuff
219-218-3778
Dave

Oh yeah forgot to add the car has all new custom made 3 inch exhaust with a magnaflow muffler.

Last edited by 95bowtie; 11-23-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Motor, trans, and all other parts have a little over 3000 miles on them IDK if i had that in there

Videos

http://www.streetfire.net/video/new-...mp_2041215.htm

http://www.streetfire.net/video/nort...nte_721474.htm

http://www.streetfire.net/video/nort...pe_2040668.htm

Last edited by 95bowtie; 11-21-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

92 views and nothing?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha I was just addign them I forgot I didn't
Old 11-21-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious since I work on Caddy's daily was this a direct drop in or what all did you have to do? What about wiring? That looks like a 4T80 trans too? I applaud you for going the distance with a Northstar engine.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope not a direct drop in, you had to notch one side of the subframe and relocate the front bar for the front motor mount and the driverside trans mount was relocated farther out to accommodate the 80e. Other thatn that isnt that hard to do.

And thanks

Now only if someone had alteast an offer for me on one of my FS ads. I know the price is high but you gotta start high with what you would liek for it but I will settle for less depending how much less.

OBO everyone I wanna get this thing sold
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted it over on Montecarloss.com, i know its not a gbody, but still may spark some interest
Old 11-22-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job! I'm sure that's a fun dd glws
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blubaldmontess
I posted it over on Montecarloss.com, i know its not a gbody, but still may spark some interest
Hey thanks alot I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by j88l98irocz
Nice job! I'm sure that's a fun dd glws
Oh it is, if I dd the car haha 2 years and only about 4K if that on it all. It can be daily driven. It gets real close to the same gas mileage as my 98 3.1 monte
Old 11-28-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump.....
Old 11-28-2010, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

damn i bet this car is fun. wish i had some cash to spare. BUMP for a mustang-killin sleeper!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks I wich someone had the money too haha I need this thing gone OBO
Old 12-04-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95bowtie
Oh it is, if I dd the car haha 2 years and only about 4K if that on it all. It can be daily driven. It gets real close to the same gas mileage as my 98 3.1 monte
Not trying to make fun of you but I just thought that statement would surprise a lot of people. The truth is you have a set mass, similar rolling resistance, the same aerodynamics. If you accelerate at the same speed as you did with the 3.1L engine then it would take the same amount of power to accelerate this mass up to speed and being the aerodynamics are the same it would take about the same power to hold the car at a set speed.

Now we all pretty much know the larger engine isn't going to get as good of gas mileage but when you look at the facts above you have to question why? The most noticeable difference is most likely going to come from a change in driving style. When you have more power on tap people tend to use a little more of that power using up a little bit more of the fuel to travel the same distance lowering the fuel mileage. You could also contribute a little bit of the extra fuel use age to having to turn the extra rotational mass of the larger engine but I would be willing to be this isn't a very larger factor at all. My point is people that engine a little spirited driving could still get good gas mileage out of their cars if they were more consensus of how they are driving when they are not necessary trying to enjoy the extra power and they would only have to pay slightly more for a car they enjoy when they want to really put the power down. A good example of this is the Corvettes getting similar fuel mileage as some 4 cylinder vehicles.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah highway it get about 23 maybe better.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump....
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt ^^^^
Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Back from the dead still just sitting gathering dust haha. Price is OBO
Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Couple questions 1. Is the engine from a sls or sts? 2.is anything wrong with the car mechanically? 3. What computer is in the car the caddy or Monte ? Is there a/c? And are you interested in any trades?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1. STS 300HP with reground cams. 2. Nothing wrong needs tune. 3. matching computer from cadi it came out of. No A/C I have th compressor and some of the lines it would be pretty easy to hook up, compressor is brand new ac delco not a reman. never ran just was on the motor no refrigerant ran through it yet.

What kind of trade. Depends if I can sell it easy and for around 3-3500 then maybe.

You are getting alot of car for the price thats for sure there is so much time and money into this car it's stupid. For the time and money spent between me and the last owner you could have a 7 Sec. anything lol
Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

wish I had the cash

Quick Reply: 95 Northstar V8 swapped Monte $3500