Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

550 rwhp, supercharged 396 ci, '96 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 550 rwhp, supercharged 396 ci, '96 Camaro SS

Year: 1996
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Camaro
Price: $15000
Mileage: 63000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): VA
Color: Green
Transmission: Manual
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive
LS Engine?: Car has other engine

396 ci
10 psi through Vortech S-Trim with intercooler
methanol injection
trans rebuilt by 6 speeds inc (rated for 800 ft-lbs)
Callies Dragonslayer crank
Eagle H-beam rods
Ross pistons
8.75:1 CR
AFR heads
Hooker LT's
electric exhaust cutout
KTRE 12-bolt axle housing
Eaton positraction with Tom's best of everything
Baer brake upgrade (uses '88 Corvette pads)
McLeod steel bellhousing
aftermarket driveshaft rated for 1000 ft-lbs
Spec stage 3+ clutch (new)
Kenny Bell subframe connectors
dual Walbros
Eibach springs & adjustable shocks
wideband O2 and display mounted in dash
line lock
performance sway bar
new wheel bearings, new tie rods, new brake pads, all new bearings in rear end, new bearings and seals in supercharger

(i.e. everything)

The engine, transmission, supercharger, clutch and a lot of other parts have less than 5000 miles on them.

$15,000 (reduced) This will be about as low as I go before I just keep it.

I bought the car about three years ago and have put a whole lot of money and work into it. I rebuilt the supercharger, rebuilt trans, new clutch, flywheel insert, new pressure plate, new pistons, new main and rod bearings (clevite), new double roller timing chain, new $100 Comp pushrods, new piston rings (Akerly & Childs), two new window motors. The bearings, second Walbro, electric cutout, muffler, optispark, and clutch have about 2000 miles on them. The rings, valve seals, timing chain, supercharger, pushrods, wheelbearings, and pistons have about 4000 miles on them. I'm selling it because among other things, I'm moving to DC and that car will not fit.
I will not BS you like the guy who I bought it from did. I'll tell you what it needs. Not much at this point. The wiring around the Crane Fireball could use some tidying up, it needs a new switch from RadioShak for the line lock, the body is a little rough; it needs to be painted. The gears whine. I rebuilt the rear end 300 miles ago and the side bearings were worn, but the gears looked new; but it's still whining after the rebuild so it's the gears. It's a stiff ride with those springs, but you see where it pays off since it corners flatter than a C5 Corvette (I know because I have one.) The tune needs some work probably. I have LT1 edit and I had Brian Herter do a tune for me, but haven't had time to work with it. That's it. The engine is SOLID and just about everything on the car is new.
I put a real muffler on it and a decent clutch and a mild cam (~218/222) to make it kind of driveable, which now it is, although it will blow the tires away in third without much trouble. I still have to check the mileage but it should be able to get 24 on the highway with that cam. It's been to the track exactly once. The 1/8th mile track at Colonial Beach. And it's had the drag radials put on it only that one time. The rest of the time I've been working on it. The car is still something that scares women and children despite the "walker quiet flow" muffler and smaller cam, but it's certainly fast, it looks mean, and again, almost everything on the car is new. If you want a really fast car this is a great deal at $15,000. I bought it for $16,000 and I've put about $6,000 and hundreds of hours of work into it.
I can send pictures to anyone interested, including pictures of most of the work I've done to it.
Attached Thumbnails 550 rwhp, supercharged 396 ci, '96 Camaro SS-100_1778.jpg   550 rwhp, supercharged 396 ci, '96 Camaro SS-100_4088.jpg   550 rwhp, supercharged 396 ci, '96 Camaro SS-100_3747.jpg  

Last edited by differentusername; 04-22-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: reduced
Old 11-22-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

when did you buy this car for 16k?

don't mean to **** on your parade, it looks like a well build car, but keep in mind it's 14 years old and modifications don't mean much as far as resale goes. the mileage is low given the year, although you'd be lucky to see 12k for the car, especially considering the time of the year. good luck tho man
Old 11-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Teching In

I know you'll never get out what you put into a car. I'm certainly not trying to. But anyone who wants a very fast car that has everything mechanical done already, and that's practically all new, is not going to find a better deal anywhere. I would be surprised if there was anything similar for sale anywhere in the country, or will be for quite a while. There wasn't three years ago when I was looking, and I checked threads on all the forums from over a year past. Cheers.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

since you asked...

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738630
Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Yea, that car is a steal. But it isn't worth as much as mine. All motor 355making 120 mph passes? On race gas? The engine would really have to be wrung out to do that. How long is it going to last? No mention of what crankshaft. Stock? That is a car that you probably wouldn't want to drive anywhere except the track. Mine can be taken on trips. I also I have an automatic Corvette which I got the A4 in for its benefits in turbocharging, but I regretted it. A streetcar is a lot more fun as a manual and my transmission is all built to last for a long time. Etc. etc. It's a good deal. Quite possibly a better deal than my car, but the two cars are very far from equal.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by differentusername
Yea, that car is a steal. But it isn't worth as much as mine. All motor 355making 120 mph passes? On race gas? The engine would really have to be wrung out to do that. How long is it going to last? No mention of what crankshaft. Stock? That is a car that you probably wouldn't want to drive anywhere except the track. Mine can be taken on trips. I also I have an automatic Corvette which I got the A4 in for its benefits in turbocharging, but I regretted it. A streetcar is a lot more fun as a manual and my transmission is all built to last for a long time. Etc. etc. It's a good deal. Quite possibly a better deal than my car, but the two cars are very far from equal.

That car also has 90k mlies on the body and yours only has 68k. I think your price is fairly reasonable. Although some dyno vids track vids etc. and knowing who built the motor would also help get what you are askin. If all is good I suspect you would get close to what you are asking. Dont listen to the morons who think they know what they are talkin about. I would not be surprised if more than half of them wanna buy your car they are just tryin to jew your price down..
Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Still for sale. Price dropped to $15,000. You're always taking a chance on a car like this, but you will never find more fast car for less money. (And most everything on it is new; it should last for a long time.) It's also on sale on Camaroz28.com, where I've spent most of my internet car time; my screen name there is blue. Cheers everyone.