1987 IROC-Z super clean high option car

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1987 IROC-Z super clean high option car

I'd like to first start off by saying that the only reason for my wife and I selling this car is because it is no longer practical for us to keep it. We currently have a truck, this IROC-Z, and a 1991 Z28, and we need to get a 4 door car that gets good gas mileage. We needed to get rid of one of our vehicles to do this so we chose this one.

It is a 1987 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z, with a stock 5.0L TPI and 700R4 automatic. It has t-tops with the rare overhead ttop console with map and dome lights, the factory Bose audio system, power windows and power locks, cruise control, tilt steering wheels, power rear hatch, etc. It currently has about 116,xxx miles on it. The only modifications to the drivetrain are a set of PaceSetter shorty style headers with a 3" Hooker "AeroChamber" cat back exhaust, and we replaced the stock 2.73 geared rear drum brake 10 bolt with a G92 rear end from an L98 1991 Z28 and 1LE disc brakes. I believe the gears in the new rear are 3.42's although they might be 3.45's, I'm not 100% sure. Also, I will add that the catalytic converter is still on the car, so it will pass the visual Missouri "emissions" inspection.

This IROC used to be bright red with gold and black IROC stripes and decals with the gold IROC wheels. The stock wheels are no loner with the car but it comes on a nice set of chrome 17" IROC replica wheels. My father and I repainted the car in a nice metallic red called Light Toreador Metallic, which is found on newer Ford models. When we painted the car we stripped it down with the hatch, rear bumper, ground effects, door handles, hood, door locks, all trim removed. I have pictures of the paint process to show the extent we went with the car. We replaced the gold and black stripes with silver and charcoal grey because it looks much better with the chrome wheels and this hue of red. The exterior of the car I would rate a 9 out of 10. We had to buy another used hood when we painted the car because the old one had too much bondo in it, and when we put paint on the new one, we got done and noticed a bunch of small hail damage dents on it. Other than that, the car is very straight and is a real head turner.

The interior is Beechwood, which is a nice tan color. It came with a rare and hard to find set of seats that are not normal cloth material, but rather a sort of nylon material. These will be in the car when it is sold, as it currently has a set of leather LS1 style WS6 seats in it. The dash has some cracks in it and it could use a new set of floor mats, but other than that the interior is in great shape. I would rate the interior a 7 or 8 out of ten. It came with a factory Bose system, although the stock head unit is currently not in the car. It WILL be included with sale, but there is a Pioneer unit in it right now. The speakers are all the stock Bose ones though.

The only negatives other than some small things like the dash that were mentioned above are:

-The brakes need some attention. I have a set of front calipers for the car and a nice set of barely used pads but are not installed yet. One of the rear calipers is stuck and needs to be replaced.
-It has a small puff of smoke when you start the car after it has been sitting. This is very common in old small block chevy's.
-It has a small exhaust rattle under the passenger floor board due to the y-pipe hitting the floor. Something could be made up to fix the rattle, or maybe a weld could do the trick, but I haven't had the time nor the welding skills to do so.

Other than these few minor things, it is in great shape and is a strong running car. It's very fun to drive around in with the tops out, but as I said above, it is just no longer a practical car for us to have. I believe I have stated everything that needs to be said, but if I need to update it later I will do so. Also, if you have no intentions of paying anywhere close to my asking price don't even bother asking. You're only wasting your time and mine. Price is $6,000.

I can be reached via email at BlueZee28@charter.net or via phone at 314-413-1861 and ask for Nick. Thanks for looking!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Launching!

It's on ebay now, get it while it's hot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...STRK:MESELX:IT
Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beautiful car!!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Thanks! To the top.

Quick Reply: 1987 IROC-Z super clean high option car