86 Custom Elcamino

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Custom Elcamino

13 years ago, I began this restoration. Progress was slow but each year I managed to accomplish a little more. I wanted it to be unique to any other out there so I decided to put the Monte Carlo doors,fenders,hood and nose on it. I cut in a body line at the bottom of the quarter to match the lower doorline. MonteCarlo steel cowl hood, Monte Carlo LS header and bumper then I cut and attached the bottom half of a Monte Carlo SS bumper and brought the ground effects around the fenders. I removed the chrome off the top of the bed and tailgate and re worked it smooth and then had a fabrication shop make a deck lid that fit into the bed. I hinged it and made a NASCAR type Truck series spoiler for the back of it. I had to make custom make brackets for the hydraulic lifts and the deck lid is also secured by locks at the rear of it. I also added a rear roll pan and support behind it to protect the fuel tank. This support piece also doubles as a reese hitch which can be converted easily in 10 minutes. New rubber door seals, hinge bushings and pins, Also rust proofing inside the doors and quarters.

A Colman / Wardlow built 355, Bow tie heads ported and polished, titanium 3 angle valves with 100 lb springs,roller rockers, balanced rotating assembly,40 over, TRW forged pistons 10 1/2 to 1 compression,line bored, Shot pinged X rods, ARP bolts, high volume oil pump, double row timing chain and gear set, Edelbrock street performer intake, Holly 650 double pumper etc.(probably 400 HP) A Pat Ferrell built Turbo Action 350 turbo transmission and I put a 373 posi rear end from a Monte Carlo SS in it. Off the Hooker headers is 2.5 aluminum exhaust with flow masters out the back. A specail built 4 core radiator and MSD ignition as well. Other upgrades include a new F-41 steering box, (the build sheet shows the car came with the F41 performance suspension) heavy Coil assisted rear shocks and Moog heavy springs for the rear. The Air compressor is also new and performs well. With purchase there is also a TH 200 transmission with overdrive capability that goes with the car. Also no wires have been cut so that future owners may easily re-install a computer controlled engine if they wish.

The interior has a new headliner and carpet. The seats were re-covered and a B and M NHRA shifter up through the factory console installed. The dash is uncracked as it was imported from Massachusits. The factory tach was replaced by one with a shift light behind the instrument cluster glass.

The body was rust free, as it has sat out side probably less than 10 nights in 13 years and has only been driven in the rain a handful of times since I have owned it.

Light sandblasting inside the bed was necessary and epoxy sealer was applied then spray on bed liner. The rest of the car had the doors and fenders removed (traded for Monte Carlo sheet metal) and prepped with Ospho and epoxy sealer, catalyzed primers and sealers, guide coated and blocked with 3 rounds of this procedure. The paint is the good stuff $$-PPG Deltron 2020 clear sanded with 2500 and 3 stages of buffing. I sanded the Monte Carlo SS wheels and painted them with a high solids clear as well. $ 12,500.00 or best reasonable offer Scott. 863-557-6990
http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/l...galt87_photos/

Last edited by regalt87; 11-15-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Figured it up, $12,000 in hard money and another $9000 in labor. The car is straight and well done. You can't built it for what I am asking.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Sold it yesterday at the Turkey Rod Run Auction for 10K.

Quick Reply: 86 Custom Elcamino