Honda XR650L (672cc) custom built supermotto/BAJA race bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Honda XR650L (672cc) custom built supermotto/BAJA race bike

I am testing the waters for a bike that I have been building for quite a few years now. Only reason I'm putting it on this site is becuase I thought some of you adrenaline junkies out there might be interested..

First, A little history:
I bought the bike with the intentions of building a one of a kind BAJA race bike out of the air-cooled designed "street/enduro" version of the liquid cooled XR650R "race bike" that was world renown for its 10 consecutive back-to-back BAJA championships. I did just that, and then some... However, after a major surgery to my right arm the reality set in that I would never be able to run the BAJA and actually be able to complete the grueling 1,000 mile race.. Not to mention the fact that the bike that I built, was in-fact much much faster then even the fastest bike on the whole circuit (Johnny cambell's 110mph xr650R).. This is that bike.. After much debate, and the fact of the economy and recently losing my job. I'v come to realize that this bike deserves to be in someone else's hands to actually do what it was intended for or atleast compete in something "race-orientated"..

Engine modifications:
*JE 102mm piston (10:5:1 compression)
*Carrillo connecting Rod (custom made by carrillo for this particular bike..They only make one for the 650R... go figure..)
*Falicon Crank (custom made, re-worked, lightened and welded)
*CNC ported cylinder head (XR's Only Big-Fin welded on for added cooling)
*Kibble White valves (custom made"neck-down" titanium 2mm-intake, 1mm-exhuast oversize)
*Megacycle cam (custom grind Roadrace profile)
*Webcam hardened rockers, shortened guides and springs
*All new crank bearings, case bearings, hardened shift forks and undercut gears ect.

The entire engine was built and assembled my a world-renown BAJA race bike building team by the name of "XR's ONLY"..
Basically a "one-off" custom made engine with less then 800 miles of street cruising with verry little dirt time what so ever. (Was broke-in properly for the first 600)
Was tuned using a AEM wideband O2 for 13:5 a/f at idle pulling to around 11:5 a/f at WOT. (A little on the rich side, but safer that way being that it is a air cooled motor) Temp. never goes over 230 even in 95 deg. weather idleling in trafic. stock it would reach temps of 270+!!! wich is the norm for these bikes. That just didnt sit well with me with over $5,000 invested on just the engine and the fact that it was meant to be raced 1,000 miles through the desert!

*The Frame:
Gusseted in all corners using 3/16 in. thick angle cuts of steel and reinforced to strengthen any possible weak links.Powdercoated gloss black
*Suspension:
Stock front forks and stock rear shock and spring. (Wasnt quite sure what I was gonna have the bike setup to do after seeing how fast the damn thing was in the dirt! Would recommend taking the bike to "J&M suspension" here in houston to have the bike setup specifically for the rider and the intentions that the bike is going to be put through.
*It has a "XR's Only" lowering link (1-2 in. drop)
*Has a 4in. stretched swingarm (the damn thing would try to wheelie in every gear with no clutch.. can be replaced with a stock one for cheap if needed)
*17in. super-motard wheels wrapped with some of the stickiest tires i could find for the street.

*MISC. stuff-
I relocated the battery and all other electronics to the old factory airbox location for better weight centering. And just put a Pod filter on the carb.
Has little needed things such as a case saver and chain and brake gaurds that are anodized red from XR's Only.

*Things it still needs:
The bike still has the stock header and factory "CV" carburator that I have manipulated in every way possible to get it to respond the way I wanted and has been tweaked a million times to get the desired A/F ratio that I was after..

*Although I would recommend going with the biggest mikuni "pumper" carb that you can find or whats called a "Lectron" carb made by the guys at(Fastbygast.com) to really let this engine breathe! I never messed with it becuase the bike was already doin over 120MPH on the dirt with the stock crap!! But would def. recommend ditching the stocker if your going into competition.
There's atleast another 10-15 more whp left with just those two upgrades! Wich is probably the equivalant of putting a 100shot of the dope on one of our cars. LOL just some food for thought...

*So basically, suspension work ($400 roughly), Carb and header ($500-700 roughly) and your putting down atleast 75-80whp on a 270lb. bike! Not to mention the motor will take 5lbs. of boost from a lil garret gt12 turbo all day long if you really got a need to kill yourself...

NOTE**This is not a bike or dirtbike for the person that wants to go trail rideing.. It will let you know verry abrubtly what it's intentions are, this is a bike that will do over 120mph in the dirt in the form that it sits right now.. It will try to wheelie or come out from under you any chance it gets. Put some nasty knobby's on it and it will try to send you into a tree if you disrespect its power.. seriously 70+hp in 260-270 lbs.= 3.7lbs. per hp! Like having a 5hp lawnmower engine in a 18lb. bicycle....

I have over $8k in modifications alone with receipts to prove it.. I would sell it for somewhere around that amount.
Considering that a new honda CRF 450 or equivilant would cost you around the same bone stock and be MUUUCH less of a bike even after you had thousands of $$$ in aftermarket stuff put on it..

I will send more pics upon request..

Last edited by Zman420; 12-08-2009 at 04:38 AM. Reason: picture upload
Old 12-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Bump.. The bike is now on ebay, but i would prefer to sell it locally.. First $6,000 rides it home!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

My other picture files were too big so heres the link to the ebay listing..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fmotorcycles

There is some better quality pictures on there.
$6,000 OBO for the fellow ls1 junkies
Might be interested in some trades or trades+cash, depending on what it is..

Quick Reply: Honda XR650L (672cc) custom built supermotto/BAJA race bike