1990 Chevy SWB Stepside - 383/built 700R4/Fuel Cell - Fast Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1990 Chevy SWB Stepside - 383/built 700R4/Fuel Cell - Fast Truck!

1990 Chevy 2 wheel drive, red with red/gray interior

148K miles on the truck

383 (7K miles on engine), 6" forged I-beam rods, Scat 9000 cast crank, Ported World Sportsman II heads - 2.055/1.600, Lunati Hydraulic Roller Cam - 248/252, Victor Jr. Intake (port matched to heads), 750 Holley Double Pumper (all mechanical), Accel HEI distributor, Hooker Competition 1 5/8 headers, 2.5" true dual exhaust with flowmaster 2 chambers turned down before the rear tires.

Fuel Cell in the bed of the truck, holley blue electric fuel pump

Local built 700r4 - 2500 converter

Stock rearend - 3.42 gears

Asking $5,000 obo

Up for sale is a good friend of mine's '90 Chevy shortwide truck. He got the truck back in 1997 when we were in high school and has had it since. Originally he just added the 15x10 centerline wheels (yeah, these were cool back in 98! haha), hooker comp. headers, true dual exhaust with flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers, and of course a cold air intake. He had the truck a year or 2 like this then decided to do some body modifications. He added a fiberglass tonneau cover to the bed (with struts and lock), 94+ style front grill, clear front corner lamps, flat roll pan and cowl induction hood. He also removed all the trim and emblems, and had the truck repainted a gloss red (not sure on exact color name, very close (if not) the stock red).
After high school, he caught the hot rod bug and decided he wanted to try his luck at being a lifelong grease monkey. He enrolled in the School of Automotive Machinists down in Houston and was there for a year or 2. He ended up building the motor that is in this truck down at the school. The world heads were ported, and the intake as well to match. He went with a solid flat tappet cam, but later changed to a hydraulic roller. He also removed the stock fuel tank and installed an aftermarket fuel cell in the back of the bed under the tonneau cover, holley blue electric fuel pump, and new fuel line. His intentions were to race the truck, but after working at a shop in texas that was doing Mustang builds, he converted to the darkside and bought a 95 GT.

He's been daily driving this truck since, and not putting many miles on it due to a close commute to work now. The A/C has been removed, but the truck still has power steering, windows, and locks.

Performance wise, the truck is very solid and very quick for a stock geared, small stalled full weight truck. With the old cam in it, he went door to door with my 12.7x '79 camaro I had til about 2003. I would say the pick truck picked up about an additional 30rwhp from the cam swap.

For an 18 year old truck (hard to believe, makes me feel OLD!), it's still in very good shape and runs like a top. He delights calling me randomly talking about how he's come across a stockish LT1 f-body or lightning and how he ran off on it. It's definitely a fast truck and would make a killer race truck or converted to a pro-touring style project. Here's some pics as it sits now, taken earlier today....

Old 06-08-2008, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ttt...

Quick Reply: 1990 Chevy SWB Stepside - 383/built 700R4/Fuel Cell - Fast Truck!