Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Modded Sbc Problem can anyone help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modded Sbc Problem can anyone help

Well recently just finished a new motor, including stock vortec heads but i had screw in studs and guide plates put on, a typhoon intake and some procomp roller rockers

anyhow i noticed a light tapping noise upon initial timing, so i pull the valve cover and sure enough a loose rocker oh btw this is a solid cam, so i pull the rocker off to see if it caused any damage and i see some grooves cut into it cause by the head of the stud

all the rockers have a little wear but this is by far the worst, does anyone have a suggestion that will help me out.

thanks luke
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Luke, out of curiosity, were the heads machined for larger springs? They dont accommodate very large springs stock, and you have to machine the spring seats to run bigger ones. And obviously im sure you know that you need to run big springs with large lifts, which it sounds like you have there. Could be something like that I suppose

I remember I ran a set of those vortec heads on my old 68 Camaro and they did well, but I had to choose a cam under the max lift of the springs on there. And if I remember right, it wasnt much
Old 11-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Also if the guides werent machined down the retainer may be bottoming out on the guide, as well as the issue we discussed in your PM.....
Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

yeah the spring seats are still the same size, thou i called comp and they offered a double spring that kept stock spring seat dia, and also was enough for the solid cam that i chose, i spoke to shay and we talked about some issues that i may have, valve seat reatainers may be bottoming out on the valve seat retainers, and also mentioned that vortec heads may require a longer pushrod, so i have a list of things to do, which sucks i really thought this was going to be a straight forward thing, guess not, and thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it
Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah vortecs seem like a good value till you have to
all that work to them. They also take different valve
covers and intake. Different rockers too right?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i hated my vortec heads on my 358 in my monte SS. they sucked so bad. After i switched to some ported sportsmans i was much happier. Is this a FI build or NA?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPLATT
i hated my vortec heads on my 358 in my monte SS. they sucked so bad. After i switched to some ported sportsmans i was much happier. Is this a FI build or NA?
Pretty sure it is an N/A build
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yea i was guessing that haha, just wondering since now i have the heads with less than 200 mi on them sitting at home in FL. sorry for the dumb question haha
Old 11-12-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

needs a longer pushrod
Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Come on Luke, you know its always a good idea to check your valve train geometry before running it.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Come on Luke, you know its always a good idea to check your valve train geometry before running it.
didnt you blow a tranny and converter cuz you didnt check clearances? lol
Old 11-12-2008, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
needs a longer pushrod
great suggestion, but i checked that with the good old sharpie method and the pushrods are fine

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
lol, not everyone is as perfect as srj, ,and btw i did
Old 11-12-2008, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPLATT
well they were a great deal, i got them brand new in the box from a guy on craigs list for a 150 bucks, he had already had the guide plates and screw in studs put on at the machine shop, but after realizing he would need a different intake mani and headers he decided to get some world product heads and stuffed these in the garage for a few years, they were even the 062 castings. so i got a hell of a deal, and no these are the same rockers i used on my old camel humps, and yes its n/a well until i arm the system of course
Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

didnt you blow a tranny and converter cuz you didnt check clearances? lol
It was improper seating of the converter. I hate autos.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
great suggestion, but i checked that with the good old sharpie method and the pushrods are fine
sharpie method?

from what i see, the rocker is bottoming out on the base of the stud...
its a solid lifter deal right? u can only run so much preload before you hang a valve open... so if it is an issue of the engine running normally, and only rockers making contact with the stud base, id say too short of a pushrod is your issue...
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sharpie method?

its a solid lifter deal right? u can only run so much preload before you hang a valve open... so if it is an issue of the engine running normally, and only rockers making contact with the stud base, id say too short of a pushrod is your issue...
preload on a soild lifter motor? hmmm....... last time i checked a solid lifter didnt have a plunger to preload...... that is why there is a thing called "lash" that you adjust...

but i do agree that it looks like the rockers is bottoming out on the rocker stud base, i think it needs a longer pushrod
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

sharpie method?

http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...gth/index.html

also, some insight, when i was running intial timing one of the studs worked itself loose, maybe it was never tightened by the machine shop cause i neve tightened them, anyhow, 1 stud came loose, causing my tapping noise, this rocker got the rubbing the worse, which leads me to belive the looser the rocker the more it rubs, which would also explain my lash set almost 4 thousands looser than the cam card calls for, so its not an issue of pushrod lenght but rather an issue of misleading adivce and improperly adjusted valves. i am going to move my lash from 22 to 24 to 16 to 18, and keep an eye on the wear, im sure the problem will go away completely with proper lash set. plus who doesnt like a little extra top end power?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
preload on a soild lifter motor? hmmm....... last time i checked a solid lifter didnt have a plunger to preload...... that is why there is a thing called "lash" that you adjust...

but i do agree that it looks like the rockers is bottoming out on the rocker stud base, i think it needs a longer pushrod
i checked the length and it is just where it needs to be according comp cams and crower. just spoke with a guy at crower and i picture messaged him the top of the valve with the sharpie mark and he said pushrod length is perfect.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...gth/index.html

also, some insight, when i was running intial timing one of the studs worked itself loose, maybe it was never tightened by the machine shop cause i neve tightened them, anyhow, 1 stud came loose, causing my tapping noise, this rocker got the rubbing the worse, which leads me to belive the looser the rocker the more it rubs, which would also explain my lash set almost 4 thousands looser than the cam card calls for, so its not an issue of pushrod lenght but rather an issue of misleading adivce and improperly adjusted valves. i am going to move my lash from 22 to 24 to 16 to 18, and keep an eye on the wear, im sure the problem will go away completely with proper lash set. plus who doesnt like a little extra top end power?
If one stud worked its way loose, that is reason enough to remove all of the rockers and check to see that all of the studs are properly torqued. You don't want to see another stud work itself loose later down the road.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS

oops thats a slip up on my part.... valve lash would be the correct term for it...good eye