Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Need some help with CA dmv

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008 | 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Need some help with CA dmv

Hey guys, I have kind of a stumper here. Last feb I sold a car right before I went on deployment. The cars registration expired and the guy came and paid cash and took it on a trailer. We were supposed to go to the dmv the next day to do all the paperworks, but he never came back and the number I had for him is a wrong number. Now I come back from deployment to a stack of parking tickets and dmv fines for this car that I don't even have any more. What can I do? I have no idea how to get in touch with this guy to get the paperwork finished or anything. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

well if u still have the title, and its registered in your name, call the police and tell him your car is stolen
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kinda hard to do when its been 10 months. I mean, I don't think they will buy it with all this other stuff I'm supposedly to blame for with the car.
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

then i would just call the police and tell them the truth. they might make u still pay for the tickets but at least u can get the car out of your name and have the police stop this guy
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

do you have a bill of sale. usually when u sell a car you have to send in a release of liablilty. You have to go in and prove to them that you sold the car before all those tickets came
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well thats the thing, we were planning on doing it the next day since the dmv was already closed, and the car had paperwork issues to begin with so we couldnt do it online. He just took the car, left me the cash, and never came back. I know, bad call on my part but nothing I can do about that now.
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you're SOL if you didn't file the paperwork.

You may have to do an internet search or hire a PI to find the guy. If he's a dick and doesn't want to pay those fines he accumulated, I'd play hardball. You have a shitload of leverage.

Like what hlaalu is saying, let him know your only other choice is to report the car stolen and take possession of your car since you have nothing on paper stating otherwise. If he says "BS, I paid you for the car", then he'll be claiming he had possession of the car during the times in which those tickets were issued.
Old 11-25-2008 | 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I think you're SOL if you didn't file the paperwork.

You may have to do an internet search or hire a PI to find the guy. If he's a dick and doesn't want to pay those fines he accumulated, I'd play hardball. You have a shitload of leverage.

Like what hlaalu is saying, let him know your only other choice is to report the car stolen and take possession of your car since you have nothing on paper stating otherwise. If he says "BS, I paid you for the car", then he'll be claiming he had possession of the car during the times in which those tickets were issued.
+1.

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Kinda hard to do when its been 10 months. I mean, I don't think they will buy it with all this other stuff I'm supposedly to blame for with the car.
Not when you are in the Military. Just say you were deployed, or living somewhere else, or had the car stored somewhere...I'm sure you can think of something.
Old 11-25-2008 | 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, this gets even wierder, the ticket has already been paid but it didnt go to anyone else.
Old 11-25-2008 | 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

you need to contact the police ASAP. you don't want this guy riding around in a car under your name doing ****. if he robs a store or something it can come back to you
Old 11-25-2008 | 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hlaalu
you need to contact the police ASAP. you don't want this guy riding around in a car under your name doing ****. if he robs a store or something it can come back to you
I agree. If you have to pay the tickets and whatnot, its a hard lesson learned, but it could be worse. Get everything straightened out.
Old 11-25-2008 | 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

OK, so the car is still in ur name????...dang man if it is than its still urs....he can't prove he paid for the car..............i don't mean to play hard ball but he doesn't seem to care what happens to you......besides the car will have tobe registered at some point...do you have the pinkslip??? bill of sale etc...
DMV....wants there Doe....they don't care to hear excuses....if its in ur name then ur SOL...............good luck...
Old 11-25-2008 | 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay I've been making some phone calls, and I got some new info. Apparently HE paid the ticket because he tried to register it and they wouldn't let him without paying it. I don't know how he would manage to do that without my pink slip or anything. So that explains why I have a notice from the dmv about a bounced check. I think I am just going to talk to the dmv about it and see what I can do.
Old 11-25-2008 | 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bring a mouth piece and some ****-eaze. You know they're gonna have a field day with you at the DMV.
Old 11-25-2008 | 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not too bad actually. I just got done talking to them, and I need to contact thier HQ or something. The guy re-registered the car under my name somehow, which is a screwup on their side not mine.
Old 11-25-2008 | 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

you can register a car without a pink. all you need is a bill of sale
Old 11-25-2008 | 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah, but can you register it under someone else name?
Old 11-25-2008 | 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

no, you can't
Old 11-25-2008 | 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, apparently he can, because thats exactly what happened. I don't know what I'm allowed to do but I am filing for the information of who did it and I'll go from there.
Old 11-27-2008 | 02:30 PM
Teching In

I would contact the dmv and tell them the car was sold
on what ever date you gave him the car and that the tickets
are his doing. I would also explain that you lost the bill of sale and
buyers info but the dmv has it due to the attempts at reregistration
he has made. Try to get it so they understand you sold the car
and have them go after him for what ever he has done(have them get the
vehicle out of your name!). Then you will need to contact the traffic courts if
you have tickets and let them know the vehicle was sold prior to the
tickets and get them to pursue the other party.

Gary

P.S if you need the new owners info you could try a carfax
and see if he tried to smog it. that will usually show up.
If it only shows the shop and not the cars owner then call
the shop and explain the problem and see if you can get his info.
The buyers info will allow a vehicle transfer form to be completed.
If you get a name only use searchbug to try and get an address.