Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Damn LT1 reverse cooling!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Damn LT1 reverse cooling!!!

Why in the hell did they put reverse cooling on the LT1's???

Its a PITA to take off those coolant lines in back of the heads. I only have to take one off and its already stripping. Is it supposed to be a 14mm??? and left to take off (right looking from front of engine)???
Old 12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres cooler lines in the back? hmm maybe just on the fbods.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

yes, one line connecting both heads on the back. I looked them up on the Haynes book and there they are, page 2C-11 bolted to the heads with "banjo" retainers. What the hell is a banjo retainer? It even says that "it is important to get a firm purchase on these bolts when removing them to avoid rounding them off."

what??
Old 12-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Launching!

I would trust information on here better than in the generic Haynes book. Try doing a search for more info.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 AM
EkS
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
theres cooler lines in the back? hmm maybe just on the fbods.
B-Bodys have them too!

Originally Posted by BackInBlack02
yes, one line connecting both heads on the back. I looked them up on the Haynes book and there they are, page 2C-11 bolted to the heads with "banjo" retainers. What the hell is a banjo retainer? It even says that "it is important to get a firm purchase on these bolts when removing them to avoid rounding them off."

what??
Banjo bolt is just a bolt with a hole in it. In this case it allows the water to flow through.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

who here has taken them off?
how did you do it?

I've tried a 15mm craftsman wrench and craftsman vice grips and no luck.
are these hard to find? can they be bought at vatozone or is it a dealer only item?

I've been trying to get the other one off but its also getting stripped. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy another one so last draw is sawing the coolant line off (don't really want to do that) to ge the head out.

Last edited by BackInBlack02; 12-23-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

who here has taken them off?
how did you do it?

I've tried a 15mm craftsman wrench and craftsman vice grips and no luck.
are these hard to find? can they be bought at vatozone or is it a dealer only item?

I've been trying to get the other one off but its also getting stripped. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy another one so last draw is sawing the coolant line off (don't really want to do that) to ge the head out.
I've done it. I used a open end wrench to get them off. If you don't strip them, you don't need new banjo bolts, you will just need new rubber sealed washers. Otherwise you could easily get a new coolant crossover tube with banjo bolts from a junkyard. Any LT1 crossover tube will work, you may or may not have to extend the rubber hose to goes to it depending on the year.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

both are stripped now, been trying the vise grips but those are also stripping. Maybe I need one of those new craftsman bolt-out wrenches...... or just saw off the line and get it off when the head is out. Don't know if vatozone has the lines or if these are dealer item only.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

both are stripped now, been trying the vise grips but those are also stripping. Maybe I need one of those new craftsman bolt-out wrenches...... or just saw off the line and get it off when the head is out. Don't know if vatozone has the lines or if these are dealer item only.
I think the coolant crossover tube (or steam pipe) is a junkyard/dealer only item. But you can get the new washers at Autozone.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I think the coolant crossover tube (or steam pipe) is a junkyard/dealer only item. But you can get the new washers at Autozone.
the easiest way is full unbolt the heads and have a buddie help you lift them off together and remove the banjo bolts with the heads on the ground.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
EkS
On The Tree

Once they're stripped, it's over, you need new ones. I have one banjo bolt with one rubber washer if you want to buy just the banjo bolt and washer. But if you need the whole pipe, they'll come with new banjo bolts and washers. The only place to get that is at the dealer and the part# is 12556260. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by juicdta
the easiest way is full unbolt the heads and have a buddie help you lift them off together and remove the banjo bolts with the heads on the ground.
That's what I did not want to do but it looks that way.

Originally Posted by EkS
Once they're stripped, it's over, you need new ones. I have one banjo bolt with one rubber washer if you want to buy just the banjo bolt and washer. But if you need the whole pipe, they'll come with new banjo bolts and washers. The only place to get that is at the dealer and the part# is 12556260. Good luck!
thanks, I called the dealer, $78.00. I'm already buying the gaskets, might as well take both off and just buy the bolts at vatozone.

my two day quick fix is turning out to be a 2 week mod. got to get it fixed by the 4th.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks, I called the dealer, $78.00. I'm already buying the gaskets, might as well take both off and just buy the bolts at vatozone.

my two day quick fix is turning out to be a 2 week mod. got to get it fixed by the 4th.
Another $22 and you could buy my engine.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:21 PM
EkS
On The Tree

I don't think they sell the banjo bolts at AZ. Plus if you're getting the part with the part# I gave you, it comes complete with the bolts, washers, and the pipe.

Quick Reply: Damn LT1 reverse cooling!!!