Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Battery went dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery went dead

I got the Z28 out the other day and drove it around, stopped at a couple places, then when I went to start it the 3rd place I stopped it just clicked. It sounded like the fuel pump didn't even have enough power to come on. Is there something else that I need to check other than just replacing the battery? I don't want to get a new one and the same thing happen again. The battery in it was manufactured in 2001 I believe. Car only sat for 30 min and nothing was left on. It runs fine after it is jumped so this leads me to believe that the alt. is fine. Let me know and thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if it keeps running after a jump, that does sound like a battery, time for that optima uve always wanted jk. just pull the battery and most auto parts places can test em
Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Launching!

If it was one click im pretty sure its the battery, and if you are driving around after it was jumped your alternator is fine, cause if it wasnt your battery would just die. And yeah +1 for Optima batteries, have a yellow top in my cadillac with a system... best **** ever. Get a red top and never have to worry again.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camarossls12001
I got the Z28 out the other day and drove it around, stopped at a couple places, then when I went to start it the 3rd place I stopped it just clicked. It sounded like the fuel pump didn't even have enough power to come on. Is there something else that I need to check other than just replacing the battery? I don't want to get a new one and the same thing happen again. The battery in it was manufactured in 2001 I believe. Car only sat for 30 min and nothing was left on. It runs fine after it is jumped so this leads me to believe that the alt. is fine. Let me know and thanks in advance.
Yeah same exact thing happened to me, its your battery. I got stuck at the gym. Luckily our shop is like 5 miles form the gym, so I just went down picked up a battery and changed it right there in the parking lot.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Sad thing is i got 2 red tops and a yellow top plus a coupe other batteries in the garage along with 2 shitty ones in the Z28 and the Truck now but no warrenty on any of them. guess I am waiting for tax money.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

i got some other battery supposedly has "optima guts" works great for me
Old 02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hlaalu
i got some other battery supposedly has "optima guts" works great for me
This reminds me of that thread on here a few months back where a guy Kryloned the top of his battery red and called it a "battery mod"
Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
EkS
On The Tree

If the battery was made in 01 then it's time for a new battery. A car battery usually last about 3-5 years. Also when they go out, they don't usually give any warning. But take it out and have it tested.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by EkS
If the battery was made in 01 then it's time for a new battery. A car battery usually last about 3-5 years. Also when they go out, they don't usually give any warning. But take it out and have it tested.
+1 that's how it happened to me
Old 02-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Make sure you alter. is give juice off, Check wires, And if still a "no" check the fuse box, there should be a huge like 80amp fuse that the alter. run the juice to and then it's ran to the battery (just in case of spikes of engery). I had the same problem, I messed up two new batterys and bought a new alter (pointless...) and redid the wires until I used my head and thought about the fuses haha

Quick Reply: Battery went dead