Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Seeking San Diego Test Pilots

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM
MGP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The covers are made of 6061-T6 Aerospace Aluminum, it is the cover itself that draws the heat away. This article explain how heat sinks work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_sink
Old 03-13-2009, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01somss!
there's nothing wrong with fake *****. I love fake dd:d

+2
Old 03-13-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MGP
The covers are made of 6061-T6 Aerospace Aluminum, it is the cover itself that draws the heat away.
riiiight. Your theory might be somewhat valid in a vacuum, and even then, only if the caliper and the cover are in substantial physical contact with each other.

But, they are not in physical contact with each other, and therefore, the thermal conductivity of the air between the caliper and cover must be considered.
Further, since brakes only get hot when turning motion into heat, there is air moving around the caliper body, providing a steady supply of cooler air. by putting the cover on it, you're trapping air between the cover and the caliper, raising the temperature of the air, which means the caliper will now stay warmer, since you've lessened the delta between the caliper temp and the surrounding air temp. The caliper cover cannot possibly provide enough heat flow between this warmed air and itself to provide a benefit over an unobstructed supply of fresh air.

Since you liked quoting the heat sink theory, consider that heat sinks work best when they contain a significantly larger amount of surface area than the object you're trying to cool. That's why in your computer, the heat sink will have many extruded "spikes", as just using a flat plate wouldn't work very well at all.. oh wait, the caliper covers are a flat plate...

My point is simple: If you want to market some kind of "appearance accessory", go for it. However, if you want to TRY and claim some sort of bogus performance improvement, you're gonna get called on it.

EDIT: I just watched your youtube so called "tests" - that is ridiculous. you're not even pointing the gun at the same spot on the calipers...

And no ***** are fake when they're in your hands.

Last edited by Eskimo; 03-13-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

^holy crap pull the dip stick out of your *** and let the guy show off his products.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hlaalu
^holy crap pull the dip stick out of your *** and let the guy show off his products.

Thank you someone had to say it
Old 03-14-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hlaalu
As i said, I have no problem with them marketing them as appearance items. But when he's trying to market it as a performance improvement, is no one supposed to challenge the BS claims?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eskimo
As i said, I have no problem with them marketing them as appearance items. But when he's trying to market it as a performance improvement, is no one supposed to challenge the BS claims?
Sorry tom I am with him on this one, the heat sink in a computer or on any pratical application does not work the way these covers claim, they are good for appearances.

Eskimo has the right to say BS, it really is unless there is a composite material with a fan and spikes or "fins" to draw the heat away these won't work for that purpose. They look good if you want to put something on that is going to improve the looks of your car.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:24 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Eskimo here... It's a heat shield at best, not a heat sink.

These are fuel rail covers for your brakes. If you like the looks, then great, but it's not going to cool your brakes. If that's what you are after, get a set of brake ducts and route cool air from the front bumper to the cailper/rotor.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I agree with Eskimo here... It's a heat shield at best, not a heat sink.

These are fuel rail covers for your brakes. If you like the looks, then great, but it's not going to cool your brakes. If that's what you are after, get a set of brake ducts and route cool air from the front bumper to the cailper/rotor.
I have to agree with these guys too.

these are form before function.

Brad
Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
MGP
Banned

Default KUSI TV Interview with Caliper Covers

http://www.kusi.com/news/goodmorning/41258862.html
Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 PM
MGP
Banned

riiiight. Your theory might be somewhat valid in a vacuum, and even then, only if the caliper and the cover are in substantial physical contact with each other.

But, they are not in physical contact with each other, and therefore, the thermal conductivity of the air between the caliper and cover must be considered.
Further, since brakes only get hot when turning motion into heat, there is air moving around the caliper body, providing a steady supply of cooler air. by putting the cover on it, you're trapping air between the cover and the caliper, raising the temperature of the air, which means the caliper will now stay warmer, since you've lessened the delta between the caliper temp and the surrounding air temp. The caliper cover cannot possibly provide enough heat flow between this warmed air and itself to provide a benefit over an unobstructed supply of fresh air.

Since you liked quoting the heat sink theory, consider that heat sinks work best when they contain a significantly larger amount of surface area than the object you're trying to cool. That's why in your computer, the heat sink will have many extruded "spikes", as just using a flat plate wouldn't work very well at all.. oh wait, the caliper covers are a flat plate...

My point is simple: If you want to market some kind of "appearance accessory", go for it. However, if you want to TRY and claim some sort of bogus performance improvement, you're gonna get called on it.

EDIT: I just watched your youtube so called "tests" - that is ridiculous. you're not even pointing the gun at the same spot on the calipers...

Buy some covers, test them with your thermal heat gun, shoot a video with your findings and post it for all of us to review. The covers are for appearance, but there are some other benefits that come along with the deal.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MGP
Buy some covers, test them with your thermal heat gun, shoot a video with your findings and post it for all of us to review. The covers are for appearance, but there are some other benefits that come along with the deal.
I bet you'd love for me to BUY some.

As I've stated since the beginning, I have NO issues with those buying them for looks. Taste is totally subjective. My issue was with your claim that they offer a performance benefit.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow what is this, thermo 101? "Lessens the delta" lol at that.

That's an extremely bold claim for essentially zero analysis. Yes they've made a bold claim too but at least they have actually HAVE THE DAMN PRODUCT. You're looking at pictures and videos and basing some very important assumptions off of those.

This can't be treated like some cut and dry heat transfer textbook problem. How do you know the air gets trapped? Assuming it does how do you know the effects of that aren't negligible? How do you know the contact area isn't large enough to dissipate heat?

Look I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong I'm saying if you're gonna straight up deny the claims of a company you better have more evidence than the "delta being lessened."
Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 PM
MGP
Banned

Default Need 94-97 F Body for Pictures in Catalog

Since our last chat we have released the C4, C5 and C6 Corvette and the new Camaro, Pontiac G8 Caliper Covers. Next week we will have the Camaro/Firebird 1998-2002 are almost ready.

Our covers are going to be added to a Camaro catalog and need some pics. We need an fbody from 1994-1997 for picturs and as a test pilot. Please send me a PM if interested.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 PM
FormerVendor

The corvette covers are in Stock and available at Auto Parts Firm as well BTW.

We will also be the first to have the Camaro covers as soon as they are ready.

I must say that Seeing them in person as an appearance mod, they do look nice and I am looking forward to less brake dust on the rims.

Quick Reply: Seeking San Diego Test Pilots